Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis Prima!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You know, I think he deserves his own thread!

Ripped off, but never duplicated, this guy is gold.

I recently rediscovered my love for him digging around my music collection. Good tap your toes to feel good tunes.
Got any faves, any trivia on him. Lets just make this a Louis Prima day!

LD :cool:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Look for the "Louis Prima and his New Orleans Gang" sides from the mid/late thirties for some really fine, overlooked swing. One gift Prima shared with Fats Waller was the ability to take the most inane pop tunes and give out with a vocal that managed to convey just what he thought of the material while at the same time making it into a valid piece of swing. The 1936 Prima recording of "Pennies from Heaven," for example, is a real hoot!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Jump Jive, yada yada.

I must have listened to "I wanna Be Like You" from Jungle Book 7,000 times when I was a kid. It still sends me!

King_Louie.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
"I eat antipasto twice just because she is so nice Angelina.."
It is about time we had a Louis Prima thread!

LizzieMaine mentioned Fats Waller, another great performer!

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
I suppose this is the perfect place to finally figure something out...

Does ANYONE get the song "Beep! Beep!"? Is she an alien? I know I'm blonde, but I seriously don't get it.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for bringing up him, Lady Day

You think he's better than David Lee Roth?:eek: I'm joking, I'm joking, don't hurt me.
I love his early stuff.
"and a glass of plain water for me."

Sincerely,
The Wolf

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Miss Lucy June said:
I suppose this is the perfect place to finally figure something out...

Does ANYONE get the song "Beep! Beep!"? Is she an alien? I know I'm blonde, but I seriously don't get it.

Me neither...it's one of the more strange songs he did, for sure!

davew

New in Town
How about a tip o the hat as well to Louis great bandleader Sam Butera!! Sam could dance,sing,crack wise and blow the horn with the best of them,all the way up until a couple years ago when he retired.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
It was always good news when I found out that he would be on The Ed Sullivan Show, etc. I really enjoyed his style and energy, and he was a ringer for my Uncle Angelo !!

DaveTheDude

Suspended
Some of the best work Mr. Prima did was with his wife, the still great Miss Keely Smith. If you want to hear "prime Prima", listen to their take on the classic "That Old Black Magic"!! All the Prima bells and whistles are part of that duet.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I really used to enjoy him after he hooked up with Keely Smith. Her deadpan act while he chewed up the place was highly entertaining. She was no dud as a singer either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran