Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lounge-us Interruptus

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
OK -- THAT was strange. I've read the post from MK over at the Observation Bar explaining why the site went down. But, there still appear to be some problems. For example, The Open Road Guild thread appears to be missing about a month's worth of posts. My hunch is that this isn't the only example... I hope the web host is working to restore things to the state they were in before the database crash...

Cheers,
JtL

Mike Hammered

New in Town
Right,

There may be some damage, loss, emotional pain. Other threads have been truncated to their last pages. Oh, the humanity!

We. . .must. . .rebuild. . .

Mike

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I've seen this kind of thing before. All will be well anon. The Hindenburg will reassemble itself (actually the poor beleaguered database guy will do that) and the fires will shrink back from the fabric envelope, the gas bags will re-fill themselves with hydrogen (no aspersions intended), and we will have lift-off from Lakehurst just like running the film backwards. Umm, or so I hope.

- Bill

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Woodfluter said:
I've seen this kind of thing before. All will be well anon.
I've seen two older and larger forums crash in the last year or so and both lost a good % of their archives. :(

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
I've seen two older and larger forums crash in the last year or so and both lost a good % of their archives. :(

Ouch!!!
I'm surprised that something like that would happen, figuring that there would be more than one level of backup if you had extensive archives. Then again, I guess it depends on how often you have it set to automatically backup. Well, here's hoping FL recovers fully...lights seem to be coming back on, although there's still some dark rooms. Thanks T.
- Bill

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Woodfluter said:
Ouch!!!
I'm surprised that something like that would happen, figuring that there would be more than one level of backup if you had extensive archives. Then again, I guess it depends on how often you have it set to automatically backup. Well, here's hoping FL recovers fully...lights seem to be coming back on, although there's still some dark rooms. Thanks T.
- Bill

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I was on one forum that went haywire several months ago. That forum was eventually moved to a new site and started over. The entire database on the old site was abandoned. Literally years worth of posts down the tubes. It was basically useless to me at that point since you can't do a search on nothing. k

univibe88

One Too Many
Woodfluter said:
Ouch!!!
- Bill

I work as a Backup and Recovery Sales Manager for a tier one storage company. I talk to my customers everyday about their backup processes and you would be shocked what many companies backup procedures look like. Shocked I tell you :eek:

I don't mean this to pass any judgement on what TFL does, as I have no idea. I just mean that as common sense as backup may seem to be, it's amazing what companies as whole do (or don't do.)

Of course, backing data up is one thing - being able to recover it is entirely diffent matter.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Right you all are; I clearly don't know enough about this to speculate productively, and have faith that TFL folks are doing what seems best. However, when a lot of the core value of an enterprise lies in its archived data, I figure you would want to do what you reasonably can, within economic constraints, to protect that with multiple levels of backup.

That said, I was astounded to learn the number of members, the number of threads, the number of posts. This seems massive and not easy to handle. I can easily see how you could start small and quietly outgrow your measures for managing the data.

- Bill

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
univibe88 said:
Of course, backing data up is one thing - being able to recover it is entirely diffent matter.

It has always been thus. Back when I first started working on mainframes it was always a gamble as to whether or not the most recent backup would actually be usuable... or the next recent, or the next.:eek:

It's odd that even now, with almost 30 years gone by, recovery using backups is still not the automatic given you would want it to be.

Cheers,
Tom

univibe88

One Too Many
Ever really look at a backup tape drive? It's a freaking 8-track tape player! It's no wonder backup hasn't progressed in 30 years.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
univibe88 said:
Ever really look at a backup tape drive? It's a freaking 8-track tape player! It's no wonder backup hasn't progressed in 30 years.

Yup... same basic technology as the reel-to-reel magnetic tapes we used on the mainframes! A little smaller, different compression algorithms used perhaps, but still sequential magnetic tape. And tape cartridges don't get the cleaning and maintenance that reel-to-reel tapes got.

Cheers,
Tom

Spellflower

Practically Family
I stop checking in on a daily basis and look what happens!lol

Seriously, though, I hope everything is restorable. At least it reminded me that I hadn't hit "backup now" in Timemachine for a while....

There. Now I can rest easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum