Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers, as the pinnacle of good taste, I must ask your assistance

pgoat

One Too Many
who needs a car?

$10,000 will get you this:

8BS_bbq.jpg

and you'll have enough dough left over for a nice vacation!

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
That that's about the ONLY one posted on the string that you'd probably be able to find for the under $10,000 price mentioned in the initial post...

The Benz is do-able. You can find a nice driver of a R107 for under $10k, especially if you go with the smaller motored one instead of the 560 SL.

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
The Mercedes-Benz C230 is handles and rides well, has plenty of power, gets good mileage (the engine is a supercharged four cylinder), and has many fancy features (stability control, air bags everywhere, dual zone HVAC, real patterened aluminum on the instrument panel and console, Etc.). The 2002 model we bought new in May of 2003 own has been very reliable. It had a leak where an electrical connector goes into the transmission, a known problem which also affected the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum (they had a run of bad seals), and a loose wire, both quickly repaired under warranty (4 years, 40,000 miles).

However, what are your needs? What kind of cargo do you need to carry? How many people willbe with you?

Of course, whatever you buy, pay cash, rather than being a debt-slave.

Edward

Bartender
A Kharmann Ghia is a really nice car, though not an option if you want performance. It was designed for ambling around Europe looking chic, not the racetrack. Basically, it's a Bug in a party dress. I like 'em a lot, they're just not to everyone's taste. If you're looking for something easier on fuel, rule out the Jag. There's a reason you can find an XJ6 in great condition just a few years old for buttons: if you can afford to feed one, you can afford a new one. I've been lucky enoug to end up in London and don't need to run a car, but if I was ever gonig to do it, I'd probably be looking for something classic, with excellent parts availability. What's the US equivalent of the Morris Minor (cheap to buy, run, insure - and not a bit on it you can't buy a repalcement for easily)? Buying American might be a good idea given the issue of spares availability. Me, I'd be tempted by a Mark I or II Mustang hardtop, with the higher MPG 3 litre engine. I'd veer away from a convertible - higher purchase price, higher insurance premium, greater risk of theft or even vandalism (doesn't take much to slice any rag top). I'd prefer a car I could lock up and leave in a car park with reasonable peace of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit