Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Tom and DJD!

My cat couldn't stand the sight of the little guy at first and really hissed and growled at him. Now they've progressed to rough-housing A LOT. Still no cuddling yet, but I am hopeful. ;)

Odalisque

A-List Customer
kitty2.jpg

Mom! This furball's on my windowsill again!

Octavia

Familiar Face
Here's my beloved first cat, Pumpkin.

IMG_0965-1.png

I had to make the heartbreaking decision of putting her down a couple days ago. She was 14 years - and it seems far too young still. She had fluid building up in her chest that was putting strain on her heart and lungs. She was having difficulty breathing. I had an ultrasound done that revealed a strict turkey diet might help clear up some of it (or the fatty part of it), but that she would still have to be aspirated once a week, which was all too much of a tough treatment for her. She was traumatized after the first treatment and I couldn't put her through it again, as she was already such a fragile, frail little thing. I feared her quality of life would never be the same. I really had to think it over a few days, but to me, there seemed to be no other option. I'm still finding this extremely hard to accept, but I'll be picking up her ashes in a few days. As I do painting as part of a living, I decided I might paint a picture of her and mix her ashes with the paint, just to give form to her remains again. I feel it will help bring closure better than anything else would.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You made the right decision, Octavia. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've had to make similar calls but it was relatively easy when witnessing the pain my friends were experiencing. Just remember the 14 wonderful years that you and Pumpkin shared.:)

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Agreeing with Tom and Tomasso here.
My wife and I went through this in 09 with a Dingo, very hard but we knew it was the right decision.
They become family because they listen to us ramble for who knows why, and act interested, and most of the time do things to cheer us up. Great idea btw with the painting.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Still trying to get my Bedlington interested in this.
Instead she's interested in sticking that nose in the air and following a scent....lately to the fly trap!

Octavia

Familiar Face
Thank you so much for the kind words, everyone. One really doesn't realize how big of a place a pet can have in your life until that place is suddenly empty. It's easy for me to think I could have done a better job as a pet owner and prevented it somehow, but one of the hardest things is a lot of people around me don't seem to identify with my sentiments. It is a relief to see so many animal lovers who understand here. It is truly appreciated.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Thank you so much for the kind words, everyone. One really doesn't realize how big of a place a pet can have in your life until that place is suddenly empty. It's easy for me to think I could have done a better job as a pet owner and prevented it somehow, but one of the hardest things is a lot of people around me don't seem to identify with my sentiments. It is a relief to see so many animal lovers who understand here. It is truly appreciated.

The best cure for the loss of a pet is to get another. After we had to put down first my wire-haired pointer and then my son's beagle we went for about two years without a dog. That won't happen again. I've already decided on the next breed and though we hope to have the little fireball around for another six to eight years, I refuse to be dogless ever again. Go looking for another kitty.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Agreed Old Sarge. I let my wife talk us into 2 dogs after putting my old Dingo down in 09. One week we got a Bedlington, the next week we got a Heeler. Thankfully the heeler is a runt so she's only 14in high and 28 pounds. The herding is a bit annoying especially to her "sister" because she LOOKS like a lamb. It comes in handy though when the Bedlington won't come when we call her. We just give a command and she's "herded" to us.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Here is a picture of said "girls" I mentioned in my previous post.
girlscouch.jpg
[/IMG]
Thanks Old Sarge, too much wine makes me forget how I posted the last pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner