Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Low crown fedora?

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
As far as I can observe here, the most favorable type of crown is the high one, 5" or above. But I thought I've seen lower crown type, such as Golden Gate Sleuth hat, it's 3 1/2" if I'm not mistaken. Anyone here has low crown fedora? How low can it go anyway?

Care to share the pictures please? With your head, too of course :)

Havana

One of the Regulars
Sorry, I don't have a picture on hand to post. I personally favor a lower crown in a fedora. I'm 5.8" with an average build and a large round head. I've tried Akbura Federations and other popular high crowned options. I always end up getting that witch hat look. The proportions are just all wrong for me. I favor the Aussie types which have lower crowns and wider brims. I've converted a few Snowy Rivers into fedoras and have found 4.25 or 4.5" crowns are perfect for me. You definitely have to find what works for you and not just go with what's popular. One size doesn't suit all.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yohanes....

I much prefer a lower crown lid myself as well, I don't have any that have an original low crown that low, but I do have a few that I bashed/blocked into a 3" to 3/12" tapered crown. [huh]

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I go back and forth, but know how you guys feel.

I love my Federation, but lately have been getting much more wear of my Fedora/Sydney and re-worked Snowy River. The lower crowns just seem to look better sometimes.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Is this low enough?

P1040019.jpg

(It is a snap brim, and can be worn with the brim down.)

Erik

One of the Regulars
I see a low crown a la as shown as a novelty. Something not quite serious in nature. Am I reading them wrong? (Really. Am I?) Maybe I am mistaken... anyone care to convinve me otherwise?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Erik said:
I see a low crown a la as shown as a novelty. Something not quite serious in nature. Am I reading them wrong? (Really. Am I?) Maybe I am mistaken... anyone care to convinve me otherwise?

Buster Keaton used it for his trademark, and I made mine as a tribute to him. That certainly puts it in the "novelty" category. There was a period of a few years, when that exact style was popular with the college crowd. It was revived in the early 50's, with the front brim turned down, as a low crowned pork pie.

"...in nature?" When you think about it, nature doesn't produce hats; men do!
:D :D :D :D

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Erik,
I think low crowned hats come across as comical because not a lot of people can pull off the look. Short crowns often make a hat look too small, even if it isn't. Plus, the most famous low-crowners are pork pies, which are kind of whimsical. In any even, if the crown is too low to get your head in it properly, it's always going to look funny. Even today's mid-to-low crowns are frequently low enough to rest on the top of my head without the sweatband sitting low enough on me!

I think WEE GEE has a low pork pie or two that actually looks good on him (that guy can somehow make any hat work!). I hope he drops by to show us how it's done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner