Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lucky Magazine

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hiya Gals!

I hope this message finds you all well and good:)

It's around this time of year when my yearning for spring kicks in full force. With this yearning comes a desire to check out the coming spring fashions. You see, I don't dress vintage every day. Although I do it at least 4 days a week, sometimes more, when I wear modern clothes I try to find clothes that are classic or have a vintage flare to them.
Well anyway, I subscribe to Lucky Magazine, for not only is it a great deal at $1 an issue, but I find it more down to earth than the other fashion magazines that are filled with ads for $1000 shoes, far too skinny and tall models, and they seem to have more advertising than actual fashion advice.

For those of you who have never seen Lucky (I have a feeling most have seen it, but I thought I'd mention it anyway) it is a mag that has a good amount of pages devoted to putting looks together. Most of the time these looks aren't beyond reach, like some of the other magazines, in terms of both practicality and cost. Also, although the magazine has all the same content from state to state, the back of the magazine has a section dedicated to shopping in your area. They have listings of stores in your area that are having sales or special offers, as well as quite a few contests to win free stuff. I've actually entered quite a few and won some pretty dandy things.

So, I get Aprils printing of the magazine and am sooo excited. They have quite a few style sections that are really vintage.

The "What I Want Now" section is dedicated to some incredible cute 20's inspired day wear. The fashion director of the magazine says "I'm craving the crisp '20's-throwback glamour of The Great Gatsby". Well from my screen name I'm sure you can guess why this was so thrilling to me. And the outfits that they put together are just so wonderful, right down to the shoes (although the shoes are pretty pricey:(), the handbag and earrings. I want to buy everything on this page. On some pages they tell you less expensive alternatives, but this particular one doesn't:(
They also have another small section on dance shoes. They explain that with the fashion being peep toe T-strap's, the best way to get very comfortable yet very fashionable shoes is to buy dance shoes. They list a few stores online where one can buy them. I actually own quite a few pairs of dance shoes for this exact reason (funny, because I don't even really know how to dance). But, I have so much trouble finding actual vintage shoes that are comfy and don't cost an arm and a leg. I can walk all day in my dance shoes, and my feet feel so much better.

OK, so if you're like me and you do like to buy modern clothes as well as finding out about special offers in your area and lots of fun contests, then you should check out Lucky Magazine. I'm telling you, the April issue will put a smile on your face.:D :) :D It looks like clothing inspired by the 20's and 30's is going to be a really hot seller this spring and summer.

Daisy Buchanan

goldwyn girl said:
I don't buy this magazine but I think I will pick up this issue just on your recomendation, thank you Daisy
No problem:). I think that if you are like me and need outfit ideas, you'll find this magazine handy.
The only thing I'm a little miffed about with this issue is that some of the items they recommend are pricier than their norm. Usually when they show an item in a high price range they give a less expensive alternative. There are a pair of cream colored oxfords on page 76 that are so twenties and lovely, but they are $495. I wish that they had shown some less expensive alternatives. However they do have a lovely pair of cream and brown mary janes on page 84 that are priced much lower and they would look just as good with the clothes on the other page. The heel isn't exactly right, but they'll do:)

Lauren said:
I love this magazine and suscribe to it as well. I just got my new issue and am very excited! :D
Lauren check out the jacket on page 84, it's so great and has that late thirties look with the peplum and 3/4 sleeves. I was gonna say that I love the earrings on page 76, but after looking at that page again I realized I love every article of clothing and accessories on that page. I wish the company who made the earrings had a website:(, it seems that they specialize in recreating vintage jewelry. I usually take bits and pieces from outfits that they put together, I would feel silly walking around in an exact outfit from a magazine that so many people read. But, it's so hard not to want to with the great outfit they put together on that page. The silk chiffon top is a bit out of my price range, but it is truly spectacular. I think that you would really like it too. If memory serves me correctly, you like the twenties. I'm trying to find all of these looks on line for a little less, but I can't pass up that cardigan, which is funny because thats probably the easiest thing to come across. I'm pretty sure that these styles are gonna be done by a few different design houses. I'm so glad to see designers bringing a touch of vintage charm and class to their spring line-up. So unless the magazine is totally off track and doesn't know what the style of the season will be, I should be able to find similar pieces for a little less. If I find things similar to what they are showing, I'll be sure to post them.

I wish that they had more of the pictures from the magazine on their website, but I guess if that were the case, nobody would have to buy the magazine. But their are some really cute things in this issue. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to look it over. Definitely let me know what you think about the Gatsby page.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My subscription ot Lucky Mag just expired. I never 'read' it :eek: I got it as a guide as to what not to buy, because the year I had it, I didnt see anything I liked. But thats me. Im overly picky :)

I do like the way they lay out their mag tho, the clusters of bags, and shoes and outfit configurations are great.

I guess its me and modern fashion, we dont mix lol

LD

Shearer

Practically Family
First of all, on topic: Someone once told me Lucky was the biggest waste of time, that it was just a bunch of ads... so I'm glad to hear that it's worthwhile and even has some vintage things in it.

Okay, now :eek:fftopic: ! Daisy, if you're still looking for a cream coloured Oxford, have you looked at Aris Allen? I just got mine in the mail this past weekend, and they are just about the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Probably cause they're dancing shoes and padded to within and inch of their lives. The laces on them are extremely horrid, but that's easily fixed. Here's a picture:

arisallen.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

Shearer said:
First of all, on topic: Someone once told me Lucky was the biggest waste of time, that it was just a bunch of ads... so I'm glad to hear that it's worthwhile and even has some vintage things in it.

Okay, now :eek:fftopic: ! Daisy, if you're still looking for a cream coloured Oxford, have you looked at Aris Allen? I just got mine in the mail this past weekend, and they are just about the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Probably cause they're dancing shoes and padded to within and inch of their lives. The laces on them are extremely horrid, but that's easily fixed. Here's a picture:

arisallen.jpg

Thanks so much! Those are so cute, and they look incredibly comfortable, which is very important to my sore tootsies!:)

Mojito

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
The "What I Want Now" section is dedicated to some incredible cute 20's inspired day wear. The fashion director of the magazine says "I'm craving the crisp '20's-throwback glamour of The Great Gatsby". Well from my screen name I'm sure you can guess why this was so thrilling to me. And the outfits that they put together are just so wonderful, right down to the shoes (although the shoes are pretty pricey:(), the handbag and earrings.
Yay! I knew my time would come around again (we seem to have cycled through 20s revivals since...well...the 60s). I don't think we don't get the mag here, although I'll have a look in the large Borders in Pitt St that sells a lot of international publications not available in other newsagents. Still, it's something to look forward to for our next summer. I'm not a huge fan of the early 80s business that was big this summer in Oz, and promises to be big this winter as well.

I'm currently waiting on a lovely floaty 20s chiffon that looks almost contemporary...looks like it'll be ready for next season.

shepkatt

Familiar Face
I usually always pick up Lucky but hadn't yet this time around.. Heading down to the bookstore right now to get one..

Thanks!

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have a subscription to Lucky and it just came in the mail today! I have not had time to look but now I am really looking forward to it.

Brooksie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany