Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mac Users of the Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorJ

Familiar Face
Slim Portly said:
A place to talk about vintage Mac stuff? [huh]

When is "Vintage" in computer terms?

I got my first computer, a Powermac 7100 (System 7.5 ) in '93, I think.
It may not be very vintage, but it was beige with the rainbow apple logo.
I wish I hadn't got rid of it.

I saw the documentary "Welcome to Macintosh" a few weeks ago.... That movie is a treat if you're into old macs.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
DoctorJ said:
When is "Vintage" in computer terms?

I got my first computer, a Powermac 7100 (System 7.5 ) in '93, I think.
I was asked not to resurrect an old thread about toys from our childhood, which in my case was a bit longer ago than 1993, because the focus of this forum is Golden Age, not just whatever we want to talk about.

Many online forums have “off topic” subsections to discuss subjects that have nothing to do with the main focus of the community. This forum does not. However we do have threads about modern movies, and modern guns, and cell phones, and verbal expressions that bother us... pardon my occasional confusion.

Slim Portly said:
Many online forums have “off topic” subsections to discuss subjects that have nothing to do with the main focus of the community. This forum does not. However we do have threads about modern movies, and modern guns, and cell phones, and verbal expressions that bother us... pardon my occasional confusion.

We're all confused. This "the thread is not vintage themed enough" is a relatively new phenomenon. The stance was/is necessary for dealing with some of the more "meat market" type threads that were emerging. But, as with alot of the other bartender powers, this is being over-used by certain bartenders (IMO).

bk

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
I have a mac. I have heard that the logo of the apple mac with the bite from it and which was sometimes in rainbow colours was done in homage to Alan Turing who committed suicide by eating a poisoned apple. Turing was about to be arrested or 'outed' or both as a homosexual. Is this common knowledge or more urban myth?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, I take the Apple Kool-Aid via high speed pressure washer. BUT. This really isn't the sort of thread that works here and is better suited to a blog. Additionally, the Mac vs PC debate can get pretty rancorous.

(And I completely understand the confusion. I don't have an answer, but I understand)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael