Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I'm really trying to give Mad Man a chance, but I just find the plot utterly, deeply uninteresting... It's a bit of a drag for me. I can see how the whole advertising industry is interesting, the whole "mad men"-term, but there's just not really enough of that to get me excited. What is it that you guys find so good about this show?

On a more positive note, it's a very handsome show. The intro, the clothing, the hair, the sets, the leading man, everything is to die for, very gorgeous. And I really love the slender ties!

I think I will continue watching it, though, maybe it'll get more interesting later.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I liked it. It was funny. Hinted at a lot of things that may develop.

The Sopranos often - almost always - worked like this too, with every line or situation offering multiple layers of meaning or possibility; but it may have seemed more interesting because there was also always the threat of violence. I think the violence in Madmen will ultimately be the social upheaval that is creeping into the shadows all around Don Draper.

LawnFlamingo

Familiar Face
With all the fanfare and hype about Season 2 beginning, I assume there were a lot of new viewers. I hope that the season 2 premier doesn't put them off the show. I found it to be a bit garbled and disjointed. I hope new viewers stick it out and watch a few more episodes.

I can't wait to get into the meat of the season. I feel like the opener was hinting at some interesting things.

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
It was kind of slow and I agree that new viewers might have been put off somewhat. But they seem to be setting up a lot of different subplots that should develop very well in the coming season.

And I loved the scene on the elevator where Don told the guy to take his hat off and then just reached over and took it off for him. lol

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beowulf67 said:
It was kind of slow and I agree that new viewers might have been put off somewhat. But they seem to be setting up a lot of different subplots that should develop very well in the coming season.

And I loved the scene on the elevator where Don told the guy to take his hat off and then just reached over and took it off for him. lol
Well, upon further reflection, I guess the premiere was more about the how society has changed, (it's now '62--14 months after last year's finale) and how the characters are existing in this new world. I was hoping for more storyline, but that will surely be coming.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I think they are just setting things up for season. Don is trying to be good. Notice how much he was home- with the kids. Even made the comment about "Well, I was here" or something like that when she was late getting home. But I don't think it will last. Peggy's holding her own with the boys. Joan is moving on. Peter is still twerpy- is that a word. I thought it was great. I think I might have to watch again to catch the subtle things. I did like the hat scene too! It's a slow burn kind of show. :)

A.R. McVintage

J. M. Stovall said:
That hat scene was great. I also had to explain to my wife about hat etiquette in an elevator.

I'm fairly certain he was more interested in having his hat off in front of the woman than for the fact he was in an elevator. Him pulling off the other guy's hat completely derailed their "I slept with that chick!" discussion.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
A.R. McVintage said:
I'm fairly certain he was more interested in having his hat off in front of the woman than for the fact he was in an elevator. Him pulling off the other guy's hat completely derailed their "I slept with that chick!" discussion.

Hat etiquette clearly states that you remove your hat on an elevator when a woman is present. It's not necessary to have your hat off in the presence of a woman in a public space in general. And obviously he used that fact to get those guys to shut up.

Lets review:
Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, school, court room or restaurant) except:
(1) in public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;
(2) in a general department store;
(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;
(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;
(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;
(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.

A man takes off his hat outdoors (and indoors):
(1) when he is being introduced to someone, or when saying goodbye to a woman, elder, friend or ;
(2) as a greeting when passing someone he knows, particularly a lady, on the street (In some cases, tipping or lifting a hat and bowing slightly may be used as a substitute for removing a hat, as a passing gesture);
(3) while talking, particularly with a woman, an older man, or a clergyman;
(4) while the National Anthem is being played, or the American Flag is passing;
(5) at a funeral or in the presence of a passing funeral procession,
(6) when speaking to another of a virtuous woman or a dearly departed loved one.

ShortClara

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:

(6) when speaking to another of a virtuous woman or a dearly departed loved one.

What if he's speaking of a non-virtuous woman? Sluts don't get no respect I tells ya.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
While all of that is true, I must agree with A. R. McVintage: Don did it more out of specific courtesy to her, both refinforcing good manners and forcing an aburpt end to a conversation that was unbelievably uncouth in front of a woman in a public conveyance.

It's great to have the show back. Loved the Xerox machine, the tougher "Miss Olsen", Don's brilliant bits of advertising analysis, and a dawning sense that the times they are a-changin'. I predict Don's "perfect" wife will go all free-spirit and leave him by the end of the run (if the timeframe advances to the late 60s in later seasons, as rumored.)

A.R. McVintage

J. M. Stovall said:
Hat etiquette clearly states that you remove your hat on an elevator when a woman is present. It's not necessary to have your hat off in the presence of a woman in a public space in general. And obviously he used that fact to get those guys to shut up.

Lets review:
Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, school, court room or restaurant) except:
(1) in public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;
(2) in a general department store;
(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;
(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;
(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;
(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.

(1) when he is being introduced to someone, or when saying goodbye to a woman, elder, friend or ;
(2) as a greeting when passing someone he knows, particularly a lady, on the street (In some cases, tipping or lifting a hat and bowing slightly may be used as a substitute for removing a hat, as a passing gesture);
(3) while talking, particularly with a woman, an older man, or a clergyman;
(4) while the National Anthem is being played, or the American Flag is passing;
(5) at a funeral or in the presence of a passing funeral procession,

That's nice.

I'll still assume he used it as a way to shut up two men rudely talking about a secretary's panties in front of and completely oblivious to a clearly uncomfortable woman who deserved much more respect than that rather than purely because Emily Post wrote a book.

To me respecting a woman and accomodating her comes before doing something purely because of an etiquette book (that pesky sense of doing something right because it's right and not because somebody wrote it down rears its head. Darn.) and I'd assume Don Draper feels the same way.

Edit: Beaten by Doctor Strange. Thanks, Doc!

Feraud

Bartender
A.R. McVintage said:
To me respecting a woman and accomodating her comes before doing something purely because of an etiquette book (that pesky sense of doing something right because it's right and not because somebody wrote it down rears its head. Darn.) and I'd assume Don Draper feels the same way.
I am sure Don Draper would agree...as he is cheating on his wife with his beatnick girlfriend then asking another woman to run off to another country with him. ;)
Poor Don, reaping what he has done his very best to help sow.. lol

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
A.R. McVintage said:

First of all I completely agree with Doc S, but this is what you said and what I was responding to. You made it sound like Don was more interested in the hat being off, I was just pointing out he was using common hat etiquette to accomplish it.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
I am sure Don Draper would agree...as he is cheating on his wife with his beatnick girlfriend then asking another woman to run off to another country with him. ;)
Poor Don, reaping what he has done his very best to help sow.. lol

No kidding lol . He probably did it out of guilt more than anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925