Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
IThe one that stuck out was 'playgroup.' We didn't have playgroups back then. We had nursery schools.

Regards,

Jack
Maybe it's a regional term. My mom used the term "playgroup" in '68 and I doubt it was a new thing. We had "playgroup" in addition to "nursery school". It was basically an excuse for the neighborhood moms to get together, drink coffee and gossip while all the little kids played together.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just finished watching this season's episode 3. Much better than the last two, I thought. I particularly enjoyed the dancing scene when Trudy and Pete dance the Charleston and when Joan sings with her accordion.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
AmateisGal said:
I particularly enjoyed the dancing scene when Trudy and Pete dance the Charleston

Yes! It made me want to (re)learn the Charleston. Not that I was ever that good, mind you. I enjoyed the whole ‘20s nostalgia thing. It was funny watching people in a show reminiscing about 40 years ago themselves reminiscing about 40 years ago.

-Dave

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Senator Jack said:
The first '20s revival was in the '60s.

Not quite accurate.

The first '20s revival was in the early 1950s. (LIFE magazine even reported on it back then.) It spread among high school and college kids, who put on '20s-themed parties where they wore cheesy striped jackets and fringe dresses.

Apparently, the revival was spurred by such films as Three Little Words (1950) and Singin' In The Rain (1952).

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
The first 20s revival was in the 60s. Check out skits and music from shows like Laugh-In, and there was Tiny Tim, of course, and The New Vaudeville Band with their hit Winchester Cathedral (complete with a-vodee-o-dos).

Yes, very much so, John Lennon once remarked in an `80s interview that the miniskirts of the `60s were a revival of the `20s flappers.

BeatlesStripedBathingsuits.jpg

Hats.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
cultures in NYC

Originally Posted by Fletch

Some of the women have it down. Only some. Peggy's convincing (altho if you came from Bay Ridge then you had an accent big enough to drive a RR train thru.) I like Midge best, altho she's more 2-dimensional.
MrBern said:
Must admit that I almost fell out of my chair laughing the first time Peggy took umbrage to the office goings on with the line," Im from Bay Ridge, we have MANNERS."

But the accent is debatable. It was a very Norwegian area for a long time. Her name Olson might refer to that ethnicity. She's Roman Catholic, so might have spent a lot of time being educated by teachers w/ european accents.
She's not too far off from the accents in TheHoneymooners. And after all, Jackie Gleason was a brooklyn native ;)

Well now we know she's Norwegian.
I enjoyed the tension when the Swede roomie said she wouldnt tell her mom. And then of course Peggy tells her own mom that the roomie is Norwegian.
I liked Don's observation that the "J" in NJAA would confuse most of America.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I must admit, after watching Betty's reaction to her daughter's torment over losing her grandfather ("Go watch t.v.!"), I'm liking her less and less. I think Don wants to show more emotion and understanding toward his children, but he thinks that is the mother's responsibility as he seems to always defer to his wife on those matters.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
I believe they're setting up Sally to be the classic rebellious teenager a season or two down the road, when it's 1966 or 1967 and the fullblown Sixties erupt.

I think you're right.

Drew B

One of the Regulars
Gar ! Betty bugs me so much! I want to whack her... but I can't because she's a lady... and a fictional character.

Me and a mate actually got in an argument because I was saying the Betty was 'just a cold hearted b****' and he defended her by bringing up Don's adultury and it just went from there...

*There were nearly punches thrown*
*maybe not really*

Cheers,
Drew.

Weston

A-List Customer
Something tells me after that little dance recital, that Sal's wife knows the truth about why he's not been in the bedroom of late...

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Is Betty really meant to be represented as a compassionate, lovable character to the audience? She has been pretty neurotic and stunted since the beginning, neither Don nor Betty are good parents. It's probably the effect of good writing that they get under our skin! Most of the main characters on this show are not terribly upstanding or noble, almost all of them strike me as mostly petty, manipulative, and selfish. (Pete Campbell is my favourite character!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany