Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I am so bummed! They have stopped providing Mad Men on demand! Looks like I'll have to wait for DVD to continue following this show.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Rooster said:
So what was up with the repeat episode this week?[huh]

Oh really? A repeat episode, eh? Maybe that's why they hadn't updated On Demand and didn't put the new plot synopsis up on their website.

$ally

One Too Many
I love how you work "wiggle dress" into every other post ;) The office barware and cig holders are to die for.
ShortClara said:
I officially dislike the actress playing the wife Betty. I didn't believe that lame slap one little bit and I think the reason the character is so flat and limited is because of the poor performance. There. I said it. I tried to think that maybe she was introverted and deep, but I think there's just nothing much there.
She isn't a strong actress (this coming from the worst actress in the world). I loved the idea for the ending of "SHOOT" episode, but she played the part so badly. The neighbor was great though. Have you noticed that the actors with a comedic background are more believable in the serious roles than their co-performers? How did that happen?

Marc Chevalier said:
Unwholesome for family viewing? Look, the show is adult-directed and adult-themed. I don't see anything about it that would interest kids. A bunch of oddly-dressed grownups in offices and apartments: little Johnny and Betty would be bored silly.
Adult-directed as opposed to child-directed? :p Very true, no child would sit through that plot line with no singing dinosaurs. I'm becoming addicted however. I want to know how these people all became so flatly robotic and watch them either crack-up or get themselves together. I also want to see the coming out and rising above of the conflicted and suppressed. I'm guessing from the opening CGI that someone eventually jumps out a window, too.

Matt Deckard said:
It's a fake look at the past... and where is the straight laced guy? does everyone have to have a mistress? even Jimmy Oslson? I know it's suposed to be a serious show, yet there are no clean cut men in the office and the women want to be womanized... even the one secretary that I thought might hold out.
I agree, that's what I felt was male-bashing about the show. I guess it's only media ad men of 1960 who are being bashed. We need to identify with one normal character.
I got the feeling the women of the program allowed themselves to be objectified because they thought that was the only way they could survive. Denying what they really want to please the men around them, using their bodies as currency (yes, even the housewives -- sometimes the biggest gold-diggers of all). I may have read too much into it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I missed half of what he said at the end. Have to go watch again.

So Sterling's had a coronary, in 1960. Today, he'd have a bypass within 24 hours and be good as new. In 1960, what? Give him some pills, tell him to lay off the booze and cigarettes, and cut his salt intake. And enjoy what little remaining time he might have.

$ally

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
... and nudge me in the morning.
Prescribe Joan a nudging stick.
I liked the twist with Carol the room mate. I didn't see that coming.

We did get a redeeming moment at the elevator; "You can do better. Don't waste your youth on old age"

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
I don't get this new episode. Is Draper conflicted or just an idiot?

See, I felt the opposite way! I think this episode is one of the first times we start to see him other than being a complete jerk. We start to see some of the deep down emotional issues that make him who he is, and we see him searching out someone who he thinks will understand him (lord knows his wife doesn't). We see his vulnerability, and we start to see him with feelings and weaknesses. We start to see his *humanity*.

$ally

One Too Many
SPOILER

KittyT said:
See, I felt the opposite way! I think this episode is one of the first times we start to see him other than being a complete jerk. We start to see some of the deep down emotional issues that make him who he is, and we see him searching out someone who he thinks will understand him (lord knows his wife doesn't). We see his vulnerability, and we start to see him with feelings and weaknesses. We start to see his *humanity*.
He doesn't give anyone else a chance to understand him, not even his brother. He isn't revealing himself, no one knows who he really is. I find it hard to pity him. Sleeping with a client is very stupid. By sleeping with her, he is treating someone he respects... direspectfully, making her a secret on the side. Very dumb moves there, especially since she is his sister. That's the rumor I'm starting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav