Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As far as I'm concerned that was some pretty cowardly, lowdown chit Don pulled on his wife, the Heinz guy and everyone everywhere. But he's soon going to pay. The story arc will have him hit rock bottom then find redemption... only to fall from the window in the end... in the end. And as he drops he'll see all the ads flashing.. (literally and figuratively) before his very eyes.... Sad.

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I've long been fond of the Harry character, dorky flaws and all. But it's good to see him assert himself. He may get canned, but at least he can exit with his integrity intact, which is a good deal more than can be said for the lead character, and a few of the lesser ones.

I've never liked Harry. He's too smarmy for me.

Is there ANYONE on that show that doesn't cheat or think it's okay to make-out with total strangers?!? Maybe Ken Cosgrove, I suppose.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've never liked Harry. He's too smarmy for me.

Is there ANYONE on that show that doesn't cheat or think it's okay to make-out with total strangers?!? Maybe Ken Cosgrove, I suppose.

You REALLY have a problem with infidelity don't you? Well considering it made it into the Big 10... Commandments that is.. it's safe to say it's been a problem since the beginning of time sorry to say. You're not alone though... most female fans and some males as well, are pretty fed up with Don's behaviour. It's his hypocrisy that bothers me most though... He hasn't even washed his neighbor's wife scent off his lips and he has nerve to berate his faithfull wife for PRETENDING to have sex for a daytime soap???? REALLY???? The boy needs an ass whippin' in the worst way.

Worf

Gene

Practically Family
I think I finally understand where this series is heading, and the writers are not being subtle at all. All of these references to death are all foreshadowing Don's inevitable demise. This season is going to get depressing...

And is it just me or is the show getting harder to look at since we are getting into the late 60's and all? And did anyone else catch the little bit of backstory on Joan (her being from Washington state)?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
You REALLY have a problem with infidelity don't you? Well considering it made it into the Big 10... Commandments that is.. it's safe to say it's been a problem since the beginning of time sorry to say. You're not alone though... most female fans and some males as well, are pretty fed up with Don's behaviour. It's his hypocrisy that bothers me most though... He hasn't even washed his neighbor's wife scent off his lips and he has nerve to berate his faithfull wife for PRETENDING to have sex for a daytime soap???? REALLY???? The boy needs an ass whippin' in the worst way.

Worf

I just think it's amusing that almost every character on that show doesn't have a problem with cheating or making out with total strangers (Peggy, Joan, etc.) and I wonder why the writers have put so much emphasis on that particular element.

I don't see anything good coming for Don, that's for sure.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
If the show were to end with Don's funeral.... it would be a flash forward to 2014 bringing the show into the now. He'd be about 88? But would the tombstone read Draper or Dick Whitman?

tumblr_lymgc53QJZ1qz8vumo1_500.jpg

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4f638f5869beddd17d000099-590/on-the-show-life-cereal-wanted-an-ad-that-touted-its-health-benefits-it-rejected-this-don-draper-creation.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I think it's more likely to end with Don a miserable old man than his dying. The falling man in the opening titles represents Don's fall from prince-of-the-city-in-1960 to passed-over-by-societal-changes-has-been as time passes.

Matt Weiner has stated repeatedly that he knows how the series ends. Whatever he has in mind, I'm sure it's more complex than just "Don has a heart attack and drops dead when he finds out that Sally went to Woodstock with Glen"!

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
If the show were to end with Don's funeral.... it would be a flash forward to 2014 bringing the show into the now. He'd be about 88? But would the tombstone read Draper or Dick Whitman?

tumblr_lymgc53QJZ1qz8vumo1_500.jpg

I read an article talking to Mathew Wiener regarding the end of the series, and he stated that Don with his smoking and drinking habits would only live to his 60's, which would be sometime in the late 1980's to early 1990's.

Heather

Practically Family
actually, Im surprised that after Sterling's initial health problems, theyve not depicted any frailty. Especially now that he's thrown LSD into the mix.
992.jpg

^^^freakin' love him!! The LSD does concern me... I mean, on the one hand it makes him less cynical but on the other I've heard horror stories who never come out of the 'trip'. On an unrelated note, Isn't that what happened to carrol o'connors son? Jumped out of a widow on LSD?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last night's episode was a great one. Don's drunken monologue about his children was one of the most telling things we've learned about him thus far. Pete became more likable. Betty became more unlikable.

Yeah, Betty is back to being the old Betty we so loved not to love.

And no, Heather, Carroll O'Connor's son Hugh fatally shot himself. He had a history of drug addiction, and it was determined he had cocaine in his system at the time of his suicide.

I'm not advocating anyone take LSD, but it isn't the sort of drug people are inclined to take habitually. The rare person did, I'm sure, but most people who took it knew to treat it with circumspection. Unlike most commonly abused drugs -- alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, cocaine, even opiates -- LSD renders a person all but unable to function with any semblance of normalcy and effectiveness while under its influence. Nobody would drop acid at lunch, for instance, and go back to work. No reasonable person, anyway. (But, come to think of it, I've known some unreasonable people, or, more accurately, people who've done unreasonable things.)

Last edited:

That's a hoot, McBern.

As a formerly bulletproof person who once subsisted mostly on the four C's -- cigarettes, caffeine, cholesterol and Canadian whiskey -- I consider myself fortunate to be here among the living at this not particularly advanced age. (Bad things always happen to other people, dontcha know.)

Gotta wonder how Don (and Roger, and Layne, and Pete, and ... ) have avoided bringing home any of those little gifts they may have picked up during their visits to, um, exotic locales. But then, maybe they have, but the symptoms just haven't yet made themselves evident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace