Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man-Cave in Books and Films

poetman

A-List Customer
I was watching the great Merchant-Ivory production of "Remains of the Day" recently, and a great scene with Anthony Hopkins appeared: he entertaining a friend in his study, listening to records by the fireplace, enjoying cigars, and spirits. I began thinking about how important man caves are to men. (Virginia Woolf argues for the female writer's cave!) So, what films or books dramatically represent an enviable man cave/study? For me, it's certainly a cross between an Edwardian/1930's-40's home library: a room flanked with books, wing chairs, fire place, scotch, cigars, great conversation, wit, and good times. In this sense a study or library is my man cave. So films and books provide the inspiration for you?

Rathdown

Practically Family
It would seem elementary that Sherlock Holmes's sitting room at 221 B Baker Street certainly qualifies as a "literary" man cave.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
That's a great idea poetman.
If I can clean out one of my "spare" bedrooms, it would be perfect for holding all the books we have spread throughout the house (mostly Dark Shadows and old classics), along with a really comfortable chair. I've only seen one chair I really like, but haven't decided to purchase it yet. It's a Stickley Leopold chair. In town they want $1600. Uh no...I can find it cheaper if I hunt for a factory direct source.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I like the one in The Hustler movie. Paul Newman goes to play to somebody's house and the guy has a room with a pool table, a bar, a cabinet for his guns, some couches, books and other stuff.

hustler1redos_0002_Layer+4.jpg

That covers some of a man's basic needs.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
In George Simenon's Maigret novels he uses the term 'brown study'. It has a dual meaning, it conjurs up the dark tobacco stained wall's of the Inspector's study but it is also a state of mind: a time when he is deep in thought and fixated on unravelling the details of a crime within his mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy