Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manolo the Shoeblogger on Glamor

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Manolo gave an interview for the blog Deep Glamour. He mentions Marilyn Monroe, Greta Garbo, and The Great Gatsby. Here's his definition of glamor:

Glamour is the peculiar and elusive characteristic that combines, in unspecified and unspecifiable proportions, the qualities of charisma, style, beauty, desirability, confidence, rarity, and mysteriousness. In fact, it is almost impossible to fully define what makes something glamorous. As with the Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's definition of obscenity, we have trouble defining glamour, but know it when we see it.
Having said that, the Manolo further avers that of all the previously mentioned characteristics, the most important are beauty and mysteriousness.​

Read on.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
And also some sage advice for the mere mortals who have yet to achieve True Glamour:

Otherwise, you should dress stylishly, wear excellent shoes, be confident and cheery, and treat others with courtesy and kindness. That may not be glamorous, but it is the Manolo's definition of super fantastic.

Neat article, thanks for sharing it. :) I like popping in on the Manolo's blog from time to time.

BombshellBella

Familiar Face
I like his definition... I dont think you can try to be glam. You either are or your not.

You can look good, but thats not enough. There is something in the aura of a glamourous person, the way they look, carry themselves, the way they sit, walk and talk.

Its a cross between a cultured, intelligent and stylish woman. Its definately not a "beauty" because a glamourous person need not be conventionally beautiful, they just LOOK amazing even if they have a crooked nose or something a lay person would immediately fix via plastic surgery, its like that imperfection makes them all the unique.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Its a cross between a cultured, intelligent and stylish woman. Its definately not a "beauty" because a glamourous person need not be conventionally beautiful, they just LOOK amazing even if they have a crooked nose or something a lay person would immediately fix via plastic surgery, its like that imperfection makes them all the unique.

I like your explanation/definition of glamourous, BombshellBella

The French call it je ne sais quoi. It's really true. How does one define the undefinable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot