Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manolo's Tribute to Cary Grant

Paisley said:
Check out what Manolo the Shoeblogger has to say about Cary Grant:

Manolo says, one of the Manolo’s internet friends has forwarded the Manolo this piece of wisdom from the Cary Grant.

I’m reminded of a piece of advice my father gave me regarding shoes: it has stood me in good stead whenever my own finances were low. He said, it’s better to buy one good pair of shoes than four cheap ones. One pair made of fine leather could outlast four inferior pairs and, if well cared for, would continue to proclaim your good judgement and taste no matter how old they become. It is rather like the stock market. It makes more sense to buy just one share of blue chip than 150 shares of a one-dollar stock.

It is so very true, no?

Makes sense to me as long as you are getting what you pay for. I have bought some expensive shoes that should have been cheap by the inferior wear I got out of them. The shoe has nearly separated from the sole within less than a year. :rage:
So now it is much harder than it was in Grant's father's day. You don't necessarily get what you pay for. Name brands mean nothing. You have to shop and check out what is being offered by these names and then go from there.

Regards,

J

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Paisley said:
One pair made of fine leather could outlast four inferior pairs and, if well cared for, would continue to proclaim your good judgement and taste no matter how old they become.
An important part of proper shoe maintenance is to never wear the same pair of shoes two consecutive days as the leather needs time to rest between wearings. While I agree that quality shoes will wear longer than lesser shoes, putting daily stress on any shoes will shorten their usefull life dramatically. Two pairs would be the minimum, three would be better.

Tomasso said:
An important part of proper shoe maintenance is to never wear the same pair of shoes two consecutive days as the leather needs time to rest between wearings. While I agree that quality shoes will wear longer than lesser shoes, putting daily stress on any shoes will shorten their usefull life dramatically. Two pairs would be the minimum, three would be better.

In my above example, the shoes that fell apart were worn no more than one a week. [huh]

Paisley said:
Maybe these would suit you better. ;)

elephant%20skin%20shoes.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Yeah, they would last a real long time---in the box in the garage. :p ;)
At about 62 pairs, I think I have enough to just throw that pair away. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
jamespowers said:
the shoes that fell apart were worn no more than one a week. [huh]
Sounds like they were glued/cemented. Best to stick with Goodyear welted shoes.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Yeah, they would last a real long time---in the box in the garage. :p ;)
At about 62 pairs, I think I have enough to just throw that pair away. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

I am a little sad that an elephant died to make that dreadful pair of shoes. :(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Paisley said:
I am a little sad that an elephant died to make that dreadful pair of shoes. :(
Funny, of all the exotic skins used to make shoes, elephant seems to make the most people misty-eyed.

Tomasso said:
Sounds like they were glued/cemented. Best to stick with Goodyear welted shoes.

The wierd thing is that they were supposedly welted in but they just came apart and the welt cracked like crazy all around the shoe. I expected more from Johnston Murphy. I really should send them in and tell them to rebuild them or something. So for $300 I got junk. :eusa_doh:
You know what's even crazier? I bought another pair of their dress boots (Dawson Black) because someone gave me a gift card. I had no choice. We'll see if these last longer. [huh] I give it a few months and about ten wearings. :p

SHOES_ISEC1010850.JPG

Regards,

J

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Elephant shoes

Our MP used to wear these elephant shoes all the time in public.

He was always a cheap b##tard and probably bought them on some Parliamentary junket.

I saw them years later in Zimbabwe in a souvenir shop and they still looked just as bad but at least I knew the source!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:
Check out what Manolo the Shoeblogger has to say about Cary Grant:

Manolo says, one of the Manolo’s internet friends has forwarded the Manolo this piece of wisdom from the Cary Grant.

I’m reminded of a piece of advice my father gave me regarding shoes: it has stood me in good stead whenever my own finances were low. He said, it’s better to buy one good pair of shoes than four cheap ones. One pair made of fine leather could outlast four inferior pairs and, if well cared for, would continue to proclaim your good judgement and taste no matter how old they become. It is rather like the stock market. It makes more sense to buy just one share of blue chip than 150 shares of a one-dollar stock.

It is so very true, no?

I've seen almost exactly the same quote, nearly word for word, also attributed to Grant, where "shoes" and "leather" are replaced with "suits" and "fabric."

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
This exact pair of elephant skin shoes sold on eBay last week for $47. Made by Johnston & Murphy(!). Dig the groovy name: HUNTING WORLD.
[/IMG]
Hunting World is a retail chain that sells leather goods and clothing, whose logo happens to be a baby elephant.[huh]

vonwotan

Practically Family
Once upon a time Hunting World sold some very nice sporting goods and was the exclusive dealer for House of Hardy reels in New York.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner