Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mantillas

roselily

One of the Regulars
Sorry if this posts twice- the system keeps logging me out!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here collects mantillas/chapel veils?
I started getting them off of Ebay and now I'm addicted!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
No, but I do have a black vintage one that belonged to my grandmother. It was either purchased in Mexico during one of her many trips down there or it was given to her by my Mexican grandfather.

Renee

Familiar Face
Are you Catholic? I used to attend a Traditional Latin Mass (1962 rite) and wore a chapel veil/mantilla then. I bought mine from www.halo-works.com. They are new, but many are based on vintage designs.

Now that I attend a "regular" mass I wear a hat. But I remember some of the beautiful vintage veils that some women wore at my former chapel.

roselily

One of the Regulars
Orthodox Christian, actually;)

I'll have to check out that website- my vintage ones are so delicate they're difficult to wear and wash (but they're SO pretty!)

Renee

Familiar Face
I own one of the antique reproduction veils in cream and black - Almondine - and a Spanish lace veil in black/silver. Both are quite beautiful. I also own another vintage reproduction in black that I don't think they offer anymore.

And despite the fact that you are supposed to only hand wash and dry the veils, I have thrown mine into the washer and dryer many times, and haven't had a single problem. Not even a loose thread. The veils are very well made!

roselily

One of the Regulars
I'm going a bit insane. I finally settled on a dress to wear for saturday but it's navy--none of my veils go with navy! I'm trying to find one online that can ship to me in time- halo-works has lovely veils but not in a color that will work for me. :eusa_doh:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
roselily said:
I'm going a bit insane. I finally settled on a dress to wear for saturday but it's navy--none of my veils go with navy! I'm trying to find one online that can ship to me in time- halo-works has lovely veils but not in a color that will work for me. :eusa_doh:

would cream work?

When I was going to Liturgy I just wore cream...goes with almost everything.. ;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LOVE the mantilla!

roselily said:
Sorry if this posts twice- the system keeps logging me out!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here collects mantillas/chapel veils?
I started getting them off of Ebay and now I'm addicted!

Since I married my true love in a Spanish Deco style wedding, I became a comb addict - and the mantilla is such a graceful look!

l_7fd49af3ea9bd4476fdc4786b7d1018c.jpg

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
Since I married my true love in a Spanish Deco style wedding, I became a comb addict - and the mantilla is such a graceful look!

l_7fd49af3ea9bd4476fdc4786b7d1018c.jpg

My gawd, what a beautiful picture of the both of you. You truly were a beautiful bride.

roselily

One of the Regulars
So pretty! Love that fan, too!

I have a couple of white/cream ones, but I always feel a little bridal in them. I'd like to find a true beige one but no one seems to carry them. Hmm...I wonder if I could tea dye one of my light ones...

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
roselily said:
So pretty! Love that fan, too!

I have a couple of white/cream ones, but I always feel a little bridal in them. I'd like to find a true beige one but no one seems to carry them. Hmm...I wonder if I could tea dye one of my light ones...

Sure you can. Tea dye it. If it's a manmade lace, it shouldn't take the stain that well. Make a weak tea solution and dip the lace in. The longer you let is soak the darker the color. Go slow and see what happens.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When we were young and in love...

Grnidwitch said:
My gawd, what a beautiful picture of the both of you. You truly were a beautiful bride.

Why, thank you! I just wish I could fit back in the dress...I had a huge veil over the mantilla for the ceremony, but then wore just the mantilla for the rest of the party.

The fan was my "something borrowed" - it's from the 18th century!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy