Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mark VII Gas Mask Bags

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
2533311428_eb49f32007.jpg

These were originally used to carry gas mask canisters by soldiers, but similar to trench coats and A2 jackets ended up being used by civilians. Indiana Jones uses one, but unlike the fedora and the whip I doubt one would receive comments from a MkVII by itself. They were issued with cloth straps as in the above picture, but a lot of people changed these for leather rifle straps (as copied by Indy).

A few weeks ago a kind friend from the FL gave me one of these. Mine is authentic I believe, the date inside being 1941, but I have no suitable strap at the moment so I have to temporarily use a very unauthentic leatherette bag strap.

I personally think the size is very practical, especially if you manage to master the art of packing light. I managed to use one for a weekend trip recently and found it useful when having to walk considerable distances and when on the train. For most people I'd imagine they're more useful for packing sandwiches though, as I had to resort to wearing the same suit for three days and only having one spair shirt. I like the miliatary style which is vintage, but because of its civilian useage allows it to be used with more than just military gear.

I searched the whole FL and the only MkVII threads were in classifieds, so I though perhaps a general thread was needed to see who has one and what they're used for.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I don't use the Mk VII but I do use a new US GI gas mask bag for disc golf. It carries about 6 disks nicely. Very comfortable and sturdy. I like yours better. could fit a sandwich in there too.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
A female friend of mine uses her gas mask bag (although I couldn't say which mark exactly, but wartime) as a regular handbag.

She even took it to a wedding last year! When I asked her if she didn't have something more suitable ie/ less canvas and military she said No, she finds it so useful she never thinks about buying other bags.

She has done ATS (WW2 British Womens Army) re-enactment for many years now, so that's how she started off with one. Sometimes she even carries her gas mask in it. :p

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have always needed a bag to tote my 'stuff.' I have diabetes, and need to carry a bunch of stuff for it, which takes up most of the space that I use in the bag. Theres also my wallet, a tire pressure gauge, and a pen or two, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy