Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mass evacuation for bomb removal

Warden

One Too Many
Another interesting news story from tbe BBC.

Bombs like this do pop up all the time, but affecting 3,000 people makes this unusal.

BBC news says "An evacuation thought to be the largest of its kind in peace-time Britain is under way to allow bombs to be removed from a former Royal Navy airfield".

See news story here

_39815329_daedalus203.jpg

Warden D

Warden

One Too Many
I knew these news stories happen every now and then, but 2 in one week.

Anti Tank mine, I guess thats from WW2 and the potential invasion of Britain.

See news story by clicking here

pip pip

Harry

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Quite interesting how something from the past can cause such a panic after being hidden for so long. Like little monsters in a cave, and when the rock is moved they are let loose upon the land.

Outside the 22, I wonder how many others are around. I hope noone has to face one going off.

tallyho

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
As a former MG Midget owner, I can't imagine anything English sitting around that long and still remaining functional.
Ah good ole Lucas, the Prince of Darkness!

Why do the British drink warm beer?

Because Lucas makes their fridges!

Cobden

Practically Family
My prep school had to be evacuated at one stage due to the discovery of grenades in the old swimming pool a few years before I was there. Then they discovered live .303 ammunition near the pre-prep area. Apparently, the school was used by the Canadians during the war...

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cobden said:
My prep school had to be evacuated at one stage due to the discovery of grenades in the old swimming pool a few years before I was there. Then they discovered live .303 ammunition near the pre-prep area. Apparently, the school was used by the Canadians during the war...

So they discovered no full bottles of any sort of liquor.... :D

nightandthecity

Practically Family
live .50 calibre rounds turn up regularly on the old 8th Air Force bases. I remember visiting the 100th BG museum at Thorpe Abbotts once and someone was sat on a step emptying out old rounds preparatory to selling them as souvenirs!

There was a case in Liverpool about a month ago where a Luftwaffe bomb was blown up in the Mersey, right there in the middle of the shipping lanes and the ferry run.

I believe the Belgian Army has a full time unit whose daily job is collecting and destroying unexploded ordnance, mostly WW1.

It's surprsing more people don't get hurt really......

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Evac

Cobden said:
My prep school had to be evacuated at one stage due to the discovery of grenades in the old swimming pool

My prep school once dismissed because a 'stink' bomb
composed of a chemical composition and film negatives was lit
outside Br. O'Rourke's calculus classroom.

I guess there's more than one way to bomb calculus.:eek:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I remember one time in high school some guy from the football team blew up the toilet in the teachers men's room.:eek:

But, this really amazes me that after 100 years or so and two wars that unexploded ordnance is still being found.:eek:

Story

I'll Lock Up
Another UXO tale

While these stories are fairly common, finding a 37mm on an air-gunnery range is interesting. Wonder if it was the Antitank or the P-39 aircraft version, or something else?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/education/orl-bombs0508jan05,0,770417.story

A munitions cleanup at Odyssey Middle School during the holiday break unearthed more than 400 pounds of World War II-era bombs and rockets along with 2,000 pounds of debris on the school grounds and under the running track.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plans to blow up the bombs and rockets today at the southeast Orlando school. Residents should expect to hear several large blasts.

Among the items found since Dec. 27 are about 50 fragmentation bombs, several rockets, a rocket booster and a 37 mm cannon, according to the Army Corps.

carebear

Given the fact that both PR reps and journalists are notorious for talking about things they have -zero- knowledge of, I'd guess it's 37mm shells.

Even if it was an actual gun, there's no earthly reason to blow it in place and make it even harder to pick up the pieces. Just tow it to a scrap yard.

I've read more than one of these demo/weapons/military stories where, rather than pick up a book, the reporter or editor figured they "caught an error in the press release" and just threw a comma between "mortar" and "bomb".

As in, "...police recovered various live ordnance including a 60 mm mortar, bomb, and..."

:rolleyes:

Mustang

One of the Regulars
WWII Bombs

I have a custom news search set up for my Google home page, so that it finds all news articles related to my interest. Here's what I have Google search for with my WWII one:

WWII OR "World War II" OR "World War 2" OR WW2

I say this because, by using this search, I find it is quite common.

Here's one result:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/01/photogalleries/wip-week62/photo7.html

14,000 residents in Germany were evacuated for this 1000 pound bomb.

Warden

One Too Many
Boom! WW2 Bomb Explodes 64 Years on, a video clip from Sky news about an unexploded WW2 bomb.

click here

Enjoy

Harry

Twitch

I've never heard of any WW II explosive ordnance just popping off without reason though. No catalyst. Of course the Chinese have found biological and chemical ordnance all over from the Japanese occupation 1932-1945. The thing there is that all the ordnance has to do is errode enough to allow the essence of the warhead to escape. Doesn't have to explode to be deadly.:(

Windsock

A-List Customer
Tony in Tarzana said:
As a former MG Midget owner, I can't imagine anything English sitting around that long and still remaining functional.

(Just kidding!)

Heyy!! Be nice.

She's 40 this year and still purring beautifully!!

P6290062-1.jpg

Still, it made me laugh.

Were I live there are areas where part of your Building Approval requires you to have an inspection for UXO's performed prior to any work commencing. It was a stretch of coastline once considered remote and useful only for live firing- today it has some of the highest property prices in the Country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou