Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

matching a waistcoat

vespasian

One of the Regulars
I fancy wearing a few waistcoats (well one at a time) and there are plenty to choose from but how do you match one to a suit if you want to wear another colour (ie buy a 2pc suit then get a seperate waistcoat from elsewhere).

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt,
Do have any photos of that look you could post?
I just ran across a vintage waistcoat in gray with beautiful pearl buttons for $35, but I wasn't sure if it was a good look for me.
Thanks,
-HJ

GateXC

One of the Regulars
You can also do a darker suit (grey, black, blue) with a taupe, cream or lighter color waistcoat, ala Cagney as George M. Cohan in "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (Best picture I could find, but if you watch the film you get a much better sense of it). Ends up looking pretty damn good if you ask me.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'll see if I have a better photo.

The hat is Runnquist's
QM2004_sirwinstons16.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
Waist not a waistcoat.

vespasian said:
I fancy wearing a few waistcoats (well one at a time) and there are plenty to choose from but how do you match one to a suit if you want to wear another colour (ie buy a 2pc suit then get a seperate waistcoat from elsewhere).

Vespasian,
Besides your solid options, remember your patterns. Adding a pattern vest to a solid or a muted pattern suit is a great and easy option (example: a yellow and navy check waistcoat under a navy striped suit). Remember, it was the great people of the UK that made mixing pattern on pattern a great style.

Marty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24