Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching - taken to extremes!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

How matched can you be? According to a 1932 menswear magazine, never enough.

In the photo below, even the wallet is faced in cream brocade silk.

adam52.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bugsy said:
What about the boxer shorts and the pocket silk???;)
You can get matching shirt, tie, hanky, scarf, jacket lining and boxers (as well as pajamas and robe) from Charvet. :whip:

Edward

Bartender
Mmn. Not a look for me, I fear, for all the reasons discussed many times over in other threads. Bottom line, it's a look that screams 'rental wedding wear' to me. [huh] Still, interesting to know that (much like some other things I would decline, including pre-tied bow ties) it goes back to such an early date. I've never seen a wallet incorporated into the look before.... The matching braces and necktie would be too much for me, though matching the sock-suspenders to the braces is a nice, subtle touch.

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
Were matching garments and accessories at one time considered a sign that someone was affluent and "had arrived"?

Possibly.... taken to extremes, noveau riche is one way of reading them....

Corky

Practically Family
The pocket square should never exactly match the tie or suspenders...

"The pocket square should never exactly match the tie or the suspenders."

Unwritten Rule of Style #17​

Matching sets consisting of a tie, a pocket square, and a set of suspenders were sold in Sear's Farm Stores and Penney's basement during the late 1960's and early 1970's. The identification of this look with the rural population persists to this day.

The wife and I were in a retro-50's restaurant near Beverly Hills last week (she was wearing an all-black beatnik inspired outfit and I was wearing an A-2, chino slacks, dress shirt) and some latter-day hipster walked in wearing a black polyester suit with gold tie and matching pocket square.

I'm sure the guy in the suit thought he looked like a Hit Man in an early Tarantino film, but sadly, that was not the case.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Corky said:
"The pocket square should never exactly match the tie or the suspenders."

Unwritten Rule of Style #17​

Matching sets consisting of a tie, a pocket square, and a set of suspenders were sold in Sear's Farm Stores and Penney's basement during the late 1960's and early 1970's. The identification of this look with the rural population persists to this day.

The wife and I were in a retro-50's restaurant near Beverly Hills last week (she was wearing an all-black beatnik inspired outfit and I was wearing an A-2, chino slacks, dress shirt) and some latter-day hipster walked walked in wearing a black polyester suit with gold tie and matching pocket square.

I'm sure the guy in the suit thought he looked like a Hit Man in an early Tarantino film, but sadly, that was not the case.

Let me guess ... did he perhaps, just possibly, look like a doofus?

GreyHaas

New in Town
I just found this tie/sock set at the thrift store today that reminded me of this thread. I only paid a few cents more than the original price too!:

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

matched.jpg

tofrom.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bugsy said:
Seriously???
Sure, all you have to do is pick out the silk and they'll make whatever you want. BTW, I forgot to mention that they could do braces as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou