Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maui Jim is it a good Sunglasses brand ?

ﮎ¡D

New in Town
Apparently Maui Jim is better than Ray Ban concerning the polarized lenses...
Let's post some cool Maui Jim models here is one I like a lot :

Honolulu Gunmetal

mauijim-honolulu-sunglasses-gunneutralgray.jpg

but apparently the lenses are very big on it... anyway very beautiful model for me

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Maui Jim's are way better than Ray Bans, optically. No contest. Revo is the only comparable brand that I can think of.
I'm on my second set of Rx'd MJ's and love them.
Apparently Maui Jim is better than Ray Ban concerning the polarized lenses...
Let's post some cool Maui Jim models here is one I like a lot :

Honolulu Gunmetal

mauijim-honolulu-sunglasses-gunneutralgray.jpg

but apparently the lenses are very big on it... anyway very beautiful model for me

ﮎ¡D

New in Town
Maui Jim's are way better than Ray Bans, optically. No contest. Revo is the only comparable brand that I can think of.
I'm on my second set of Rx'd MJ's and love them.

Oh thx for letting me know this new brand "Revo"... Is it a good one ?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm also looking at some Tom Fords.............. I have yet to hear any negative things about anything TF makes.
TF is a brand not a maker. He is at the end of the day, a stylist. But I agree, he commissions top flight makers for his brand though you will pay a hefty surcharge for that TF stamping. For instance, his custom made suits are actually MTM Zegna. Saks, Neimans, Bergdorf, etc....will charge you 3k for basically the same suit that TF charges 5k. His eyewear is probably made by Luxottica.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Don't have Maui Jim glasses, so my input is of limited value here!

Couple of things though.

(1) Quality of glasses is both subjective and objective. You can measure optical things related to uniformity and QC, factors that could produce eyestrain. Plus some frame materials are more durable, hinges better designed or executed, etc. But just because somebody says the lenses of brand X are far better than brand Y doesn't make it so. Need to see something quantitative.

(2) Curved and wraparound lenses are in style. I have a really hard time finding any that fold flat, so you can put them in a flat case and stick that comfortably in a shirt pocket. That's a basic spec for me - have to have that or forget about it. Ray Ban is one of the few that seems to make several models of that sort. If RB (including current Luxotica) lenses aren't the best, I can't tell - they've never given me eyestrain, but drugstore glasses sure will!

(3) I like both polarized and non-polarized lenses - have quite a few of each kind in different shades of darkness, brown and green. I can't agree about the uniform superiority of polarized, even around water. I've gradually come to prefer non-P except when driving toward the sun with a dirty windshield...but that's just me.

(4) Probably true with some other brands as well, but RB polarized lenses are polycarbonate - a fairly hard plastic to be sure but not like glass. I am outdoors a good bit and, no matter how careful I try to be, glass just outlasts plastic. It will emerge unscathed from some of those drops onto rock or sand that you think will never happen. RB G-15 and B-15 lenses are glass. May not matter to you, just something to think about.

(5) Frames vary. True enough that the main value of many or most RBs is in the lenses. However, I searched diligently for anything shaped like my RB3424 frames to fit with prescription lenses, something that could handle my skin acids too (as the RB Monel frames have, or perhaps titanium) at a sensible price, to no avail. So I ended up buying a pair just for the frames. If you can buy ordinary metal frames and not have them pit and break after a few months, this might not matter.

Last edited:

Aaron Palm

New in Town
Agree, especially that
(1) Quality of glasses is both subjective and objective.

My mum has a pair of Maui Jim's that I've been borrowing (she stopped wearing contacts & has prescription shades otherwise she never would have parted with them) and while they are very nice, especially the polarization which for whatever reason doesn't block out car gauges and cell phone screens, I still prefer my $50 pair of American Optical aviators that I lost while traveling. Those just fit like no other sunglasses I've tried.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I am bringing this thread back from the grave because I am really in need of a new pair of prescription sunglasses. I have had a pair of Maui Jim's for the past ten years and they are still like new. Problem is my eyes improved and I can't see so well through them now.

The other problem is the cost. I really don't want to spend 5-800 for sunglasses at this moment. I just got a pair of eyeglasses from Warby Parker for 145 and they are fabulous. What would I be missing if I went cheap, say Warby Parker sunglasses, or something else? My main concern is protection from the sun, more than seeing colors accurately and all the other stuff. I only need them for driving and walking in the park, not hunting, flying, fishing sniping or all that. Any brands that are good and cheap, and of course, provide full protection for my eyes?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran