Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Measuring the brim of a Fedora.

fatwoul

Practically Family
deanglen said:
From the base of the crown outward with a measuring tape to take into account the curve, if any...

The man speaks the truth.

However, if the hat has a thick/elaborate bow on it, and you can't get to the base of the crown at that point, the alternative is to measure from the sweatband outwards, on the underside of the brim. Just make sure to measure consistently, from (for example) where the sweatband sits when you press it against the brim, as most sweatbands have loose bases, and are not stitched until about a quarter of an inch up.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fatwoul said:
The man speaks the truth.

However, if the hat has a thick/elaborate bow on it, and you can't get to the base of the crown at that point, the alternative is to measure from the sweatband outwards, on the underside of the brim. Just make sure to measure consistently, from (for example) where the sweatband sits when you press it against the brim, as most sweatbands have loose bases, and are not stitched until about a quarter of an inch up.

Yeah,...what he said. Should have recommended the underside measure.

dean

dean

fatwoul

Practically Family
deanglen said:
...Should have recommended the underside measure...

Not at all. The method you suggested is the better one, because that's the side of the brim most people tend to see more clearly, so if you can measure that one accurately, you can be more sure of an even-looking brim, both to you and anyone who you meet.

The alternative should only really be used if the crown is obstructed in some way, since the sweatband makes a fair less definite brim boundary than the base of the crown does.

nulty

One of the Regulars
Thanks fellas..

but measuring either way is the problem..if you try it you will get a different measure from either method. The sweat is behind the felt so if go from the sweat to the outside edge you will get a different number that if you went from the top base of the ribbon to the outside edge...

I know this has been asked before and I believe the answer was to measure from the where the ribbon meets the brim

I would think there should be an acceptable way though so information is consistent..

we need an International standard by gumm...!

barrowjh

One Too Many
I think it should be measured from the topside rather than underside of the hat, and your measurement then should hit on a regular 1/8th increment. I think one of the hatters stated in a previous string that no manufacturer intentionally made brims that measured to a 1/16th increment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats