Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mending suits

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Somehow the phrases Department of Agriculture and invisible reweaving just don't go together.

This is probably a pamphlet on doing it at home so Dad's Sunday suit doesn't show his BVDs or shirt elbows, ie: one step above darning.

Note the date. Save cloth for Schicklgruber's shroud.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Mend a suit

These books offer great technique and insight. It's rather tough to perform some of the more complicated things, like invisibly mending an L-shaped tear. Reworking a buttonhole is ok though, same with pocket edges.
Just remember, PRACTICE on a piece you can afford to ruin.
(Don't even THINK about trying to reweave, it's insane....)

Good luck, after a while you will be amazed to see how easy some repairs really are!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
One book that has been recommended to me is:
"Classic Tailoring Techniques - A Construction Guide To Men's Wear By Roberto Cabrera and Patricia Flaherty Meyers. Seems pretty comprehensive and covers waistcoats and repairs/alterations. With a bit of imagination I would think there's some real potential.

I'm currently trying to persuade my wife to consider a bespoke smoking jacket for myself.

Someone on another thread also mentioned The Reader's Digest - Complete Guide To Sewing again this covers a lot but not invisible mending.

GBR

One of the Regulars
This is far, far too old to be bumped - why not start a new thread?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ethan Bentley said:
One book that has been recommended to me is:
"Classic Tailoring Techniques - A Construction Guide To Men's Wear By Roberto Cabrera and Patricia Flaherty Meyers.

I have this book - it is a textbook for a tailoring class. An excellent ($$$$) resource, but I found that without someone to show you the techniques, it is very hard to follow. Maybe a more advanced needleworker than I would have better luck.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Yes I agree it does seem like something that would benefit from making "a work in practice" suit as your become familiar with the techniques. So we've only used odd bits and bods of the techniques for adjustments and repairs.

Mrs. Bentley is looking at making me a smoking jacket, most kind, and hopefully this will prove a useful resource along with a couple of other books.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dakotanorth said:
(Don't even THINK about trying to reweave, it's insane....)
If you are insane and do want to learn, though, you'll have to teach yourself from a good book. The few reweavers still out there are so swamped with work they literally cannot afford to train successors. The trade is in the strange position of dying from too much demand.

I would think you'd need a powerful magnifier/light setup in addition to the specialized tools, too, even to begin. But it could be worth it if you have holed garments you treasure and more time than money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails