Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Hairstyle Questions

MisterPaul

New in Town
So, I searched for information on this, but I just can't find the info I want.

I've been wearing an ivy league cut (1/4" back and sides, about 1 1/2" on top) for years, now. This seemed to be the best for dealing with my slightly thinning, receding hair. Unfortunately, this has led to a disastrous look for me as of late.

As this style grows out, the thinner top lays flat while the sides tend to flare out. It isn't flattering at all. I have an oval face with a solid jawline and strong chin. My hair line has receded evenly by about an inch in the last few years, so the short cut makes my forehead look like a Kansas map - broad and flat.
l_845719c28245afa34811e21e8c9387b5.jpg

Did I mention the cowlick in the front? When I wore my hair longer, I had an amazing Errol Flynn-esque curl.
flynn-errol-photo-errol-flynn-6229925.jpg

Anyway, all of this leads me to a final question:
I want to move to an older, classic hairstyle, but most stylists discourage this, due to the thinning and receding. Any suggestions?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Paul, I've got the same problem. However, I'm in the Air Force, so, the shorter, the better. I've had my own set of clippers for years now. I use two mirrors(to see the back, one's the bathroom mirror, the other is handheld) and carefully clipper down the sides and blend them into the top when they start getting too long. This lets me go for months instead of weeks without a visit to the barber, and the top grows out. I comb the front to the right and the rest gets combed forward.

When I know I've got a vintage themed event coming, I let the sides grow out just a bit to get rid of the 'scalped' look, and I'll part the top on the left. I use pomade and comb straight out to the sides, and just a bit forward in the front, then 'swoop' the front back as it comes over to the right, if that makes any sense.

The top two pictures are just after a full cut, the bottom pic is grown out a bit(ignore the gun & surroundings, it's the best I've currently got a of a close crop) and combed with pomade.

83130001.jpg

boom_pod.jpg

deco_ball_07_01.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
I've had a definite widow's peak since my teens. It took several attempts but I finally found a barber who can do a classic cut.

You do not search in vain. However, you can achieve the cut you desire. You need to find a barber (suggested earlier) who knows how to cut hair properly. Take a picture, as you have posted, and show them what you want. The real trick is to cut the sides and back properly and at the correct height for your face. A good barber can do this and blend the sides and top. Once you find the right barber, have them record the cut so they can duplicate it and patronize them exclusively.

If you must have a haircut while travelling, ask for a modest trim only. Just around the ears and neck. You can get a classic cut when you get home.

If you have fine hair that tends to lie flat, don't wash it quite so often (wet is OK but no shampoo) and use a volumizing shampoo and conditioner.

Give your hair an opportunity to grow longer. Be patient, it'll get there. Just have the sides and back trimmed until the top is the length you want.

BTW, don't forget to tip your barber. It'll help them remember you and anticipate your next visit. :)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Bump. Sorry Scottrace, cannot find those older men's hairstyle threads on the new whiz-bang advanced search engine...

For the best new version/transition to a 1940s style for my bf Tom, he has let the back and top of his hair grow out some (he has wavy hair) while scissor trimming the sides and keeping the sideburns higher/shorter. The biggest change though, is going to a definite side part rather than brushing it all back from the front as he has done for years. What a difference just in that alone!

Here are two recent pictures of his new (vintage-esque early 1940s) look:
IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8646.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael