Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Metrosexuals Vs. Just Dressing Nice

As sharp dressers, are any guys here concerned about being labelled "Metrosexual"?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Couldn't care less either way

• Total voters

LuckyLighter

Familiar Face
I just read an article recently that pretty much compared any man who cares enough about himself to wear nice clothes to metrosexuals--you know, that new phenomenon that happens to men who watch "Queer Eye...".

The article said, "what's wrong with just wearing a baseball cap, t-shirt and dirty jeans?"

Obviously, its one thing to wear a suit and tie and fedora on a regular basis; it's another thing to be obsessed with facial creams and pedicures (sp?).

I like to wear a suit and nice, clean clothes. I'm not brand conscious--Gucci, Prada, etc., have no meaning to me.

Is this a concern for any guy here, to be confused with a metrosexuals?

And is anyone else here annoyed with the author of the article for saying that all men should dress like slobs, otherwise they're not really men?

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
I prefer booniesexual or altitudinalsexual. How about retrosexual? LOL

I kinda like the Fab 5. Not a big fan of their taste in clothes but it's good mindless entertainment. I think men who fawn over their looks have always been around but now they have a new marketing name.

Tom

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I prefer being called "dead sexy" but noone has taken me up on it yet.
As shown elsewhere on this site, people tend be confused by our fashion anyway. I don't care what word is used. It's like prejudiced epithets: they say more about the person saying it than the person at whom it is aimed.
It's also nothing new. Before "metrosexual" was "fop", "dandy", "Beau Brummel" etc.

Until next time, as always, your obedient servent,
The Wolf

The Wingnut

One Too Many
You can call me a retrosexual, but you'll probably get a cap-toe oxford or a spectator to your posterior.

It's just another silly trend...and I think Grouch has it nailed down.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Hey, what's wrong with Metrosexual? I'm married to one and I wouldn't have it any other way. He has always been that way, even before his retro obsession. I think terms can have positive or negative connotations depending on who uses the term.
kamikat

RedFalcon

New in Town
I don't understand why there has to be any allusion to an individual's sexuality at all, when it comes to men's clothing. I think it's extremely childish.

So I wear a certain type of tie, or chalkline suits. Maybe I prefer a neat part in my hair instead of covering my self in a ball cap and sweatpants.

How in the name of all that is holy can anyone derive my sexuality from that?

It's only because we have grown up watching television shows that exhibit men as uncultured slobs that we think unquestioningly that "REAL" men wear t-shirts or freaking blaze orange everywhere. And men that want to look a little classier must be a fruit.

Turn on the television and actually think about what you see....You'll understand what I'm saying right away if you're looking for it.

A couple of generations ago, straight men on TV wore ties and jackets, were competent and nurturing...think Leave it to Beaver, Father knows best, ad infinitem. Now reflect on more modern programs....Married with children, the Simpsons, King of Queens....if you don't want your sexuality questioned, you must be a slob, speak in gutteral noises and never have gotten past the flyleaf in a book. Whereas, if you care about your appearance and sound the least bit intelligent, you are either an effete character on Will and Grace or you are too socially ill-equipped to interact with others ala Seinfeld.

It's a sit-com culture we live in where we must conform to outlandish caracatures or risk having our very sexuality judged. Again, it's silly.

Sorry for the rant...just a pet peeve of mine.

Sergei

Gone Home
Yeah, I was a bit taken back about a couple years ago when my boss and his boss called me a "metro...". I didn't know what the term meant. I guess they considered me old-school that even on casual Friday's I would not dress down. They think it's so cool to dress down, not shave, wear jeans and t-shirts. And they are vice-presidents and president of our company! Oh, yeah.. they also said I wear cologne....shocking....

Wild Root

Gone Home
(and ya knew where you were then, girls were girls and men were men!)

Well, that reminds me of an old show named “All in the Family�.

Songs that Glenn Miller played…
Songs that made the Hit Parade…
Guys like us had it made…
Those were the days!

And you knew who you were when, girls were girls and men were men…

You get the picture!

Those WERE the days!

Root.

allinthefamily.jpg

up196

A-List Customer
Ant the hardest line on that song to remember is . . .

"Gee, our old LaSalle ran great"

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
My friend Miguel gets his eyebrows waxed, body waxed for that part, pedicures, manicures, is the nicest dresser I personally know, and has kids all over town. When he hears that term he thinks people question his manhood...it is funny to watch him unravel.

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
Ok, I'm in line for fast food when this bodybuilder steps up beside me. I'm in the swank suite and this guys in a tanktop and shorts. He looks me up and down and snickers at me and said something under his breath. He looked like he had been waxed from head to toe and had all the hair on his body ripped off. He's snickering at me!!! Most ladies don't have legs or chest as smooth as he had. It made me snicker to myself and then I didn't feel bad at all being dressed like a man. A sharp dressed man at that. I must be a retrosexual or a zootsexual. Maybe a I-love-dames-sexual.

Fuente

Familiar Face
Metro Schmetro

Sticks and stones...

This conversation reminds me of an event that took place several years ago.

While living in Coppell Tx a group of neighbors were going (just the guys) to a Mavericks game. The new guy in town was driving us in his minivan. I was the last to be picked up and when I got into the van a lot of money began changing hands. I asked what was up and discovered they had bet as to whether I would be wearing a Tie (Yes) and whether I would have a sport coat or blazer on or carried (Yes, Blazer, Carried - didn't want to wrinkle it during the drive)). The new guy was amazed at the bet and that I actually wore a tie and jacket to a sporting event. The regulars told him it was rumored that I slept wearing a tie (never on purpose) and had some made waterproofed so as to be able to shower wearing a tie (a rumor never proven and never denyed).

I'm just a clothes kind of guy

Rich

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Hello, my name is Renderking Fisk... and I'm a retro-sexual.

One thing I’ve learned from watching the "Queer-eye" Five and Project Runway… flamboyant feminine gay men are incapable of telling Straight men how to dress better with out turning them into feminine looking straight guys. There are indeed some exceptions to this rule.

You can tell a guy how to groom better, how to wash his hair and take care of his hair and skin better, but once those guys start dressing straight men in anything other then conservative suits, the lose it.

Perfect example is Sean K. who was once a member of COW who was featured on the show. They took someone who was dressed like one of us… and turned him into something other then a hetro-looking guy. He went from looking like a guy to something ridiculous… like someone living out of Elton John’s rubbish.

Dressing nice and quasi-professional has nothing to do with being homosexual or heterosexual. It doesn’t mean that you’re rich or poor, stupid or smart… conservative or liberal. It’s something so incredibly superficial I’m surprised that it’s even an issue. Obviously, appearance says a lot about you, but to obsess over it illustrates a deficiency in character.

One last thing… the demise of the fedora and dressing down coincides with the degradation of society. Coincidence or cause-and-effect?

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
I must have missed this thread before.......the term Metro was initialy used to describe a straight man that would appear outwardly gay.....some one who dresses in the coolest fashions (today) and follows all the trends of course this assumes everyone gay cares about such thing but we won't go there......now many people have adopted it as a derogatory term......calling some one metro is to say you look gay with out offending as many people...or at least that is how I take it......just cause a man takes care of himself and dresses nice doesn't fit him in but hey the guy probibly making the comet doesn't even own 1 suit and thinks ties or for corprate smoes

Wild Root

Gone Home
You know, this whole thing is just crazy. If some one told me I was a metro-sexual, I would say: Fine! Better then looking like a trash-sexual.:p I know about clothes and how to put an outfit together. I have also been known to wear a tie to a Dodgers game as well! I love it! Dressing nice to plaices that no one else would really confuses people.! A tie was part of a man’s dress for over a 100 years! Now it’s considered as formal as white tie! You have to be a business man or a CEO of some major company to wear a tie and have a reason to do so. I love my ties because each one is different and special. I have ties that are dressy, and ties that are casual. Yes, casual ties! They had them back in the day. Just watch any film from the Depression and you’ll know what I’m yakking about. A tie to wear with work clothes and a tie for dress clothes.

Any way, the world will continue to look at well dressed straight men as homos or what ever since the modern typical man is one who curses, wears trashy clothes and watches sports all day. We have the entertainment industry to thank for that lovely image of modern men!

Well, keep up the smooth dressing Gents!

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy