Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midwest's Largest WWII Reenactment, Rockford, IL Sept. 24-28

normanpitkin

One of the Regulars
you lucky devils!!

this looks like huge fun!the events in england are pretty crappy compared to this,the photos from last year are great ,cannot wait to see this years.

arthur

Suspended
Oh my god this sounds so cool.I live in Island lake maybe 30 miles from there.The wife an I will so be there.It would be neat if there was a way for loungers to be able to identify ourselves.My wife and I would love to meet people in the area that share our interests in all things vintage.

indieflmkr

Familiar Face
arthur said:
Oh my god this sounds so cool.I live in Island lake maybe 30 miles from there.The wife an I will so be there.It would be neat if there was a way for loungers to be able to identify ourselves.My wife and I would love to meet people in the area that share our interests in all things vintage.

Make sure you wear your Fedora!

I portray a combat photographer. I'll be at the War Correspondents' display between the church and the hospital. Stop and say hello.

Troy

samson44

New in Town
IMG_1135.JPG

Everyone must go! I live in Rockford, and this is by far the best event in town. To those who have never been, Midway village is a staged 'village' of many vintage buildings and structures. In the 'village' portion the allies occupy each building and neighboring land in tents. Beyond the village is a wooded section where the axis power (Germans) have set up camp in trenches. There are reenactors EVERYWHERE!

My favorite moment was walking up to the USO dance at night and a group of 12 reenactors pull up in a WW2 transport vehical - unload with hoots and hollars from a good time at a local pub - and swager into the dance.

Here's a fast paced vid of the dance last year:
http://vimeo.com/1799061

Here are my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Hizer314/WW2Days2007#

I'll be there in uniform with my USSTAF Ike jacket.

In fact, I made it in Troy's pictures as a civilian playing with a digital camera :) That's me on the left.
IMG_5454-vi.jpg

I hope to see you all there!!!

indieflmkr

Familiar Face
Cool -- I have to ask -- who is the gal you are dancing with in that photo? She had a perfect outfit -- she looked like she walked right off a 1940's Hollywood backlot.

samson44

New in Town
Oh! I am the guy on the far left - half of me is cut off. But I saw that gal many times that night and marveled at her outfit. She was very pretty and authentic. I think she came with the sailor fellow in the picture. My fiance is hoping to pull off a similar look this year.

I'll make sure to stop and say hello!

-Sam

indieflmkr

Familiar Face
OH! -- See that's what I get for not reading more carefully. Stop by our display and say hello if you can!

Troy

samson44 said:
Oh! I am the guy on the far left - half of me is cut off. But I saw that gal many times that night and marveled at her outfit. She was very pretty and authentic. I think she came with the sailor fellow in the picture. My fiance is hoping to pull off a similar look this year.

I'll make sure to stop and say hello!

-Sam

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Rockford

See you all there tommorow evening. My wife is going out tonight to start registration and then I will be there for the weekend with the Coldstream Guards. Can't wait for the dance!

---Scott

skbellis

One of the Regulars
The dance

By the way, the dance will be inside of the museum this year so we will have alot more room to 'swing'. Plus I beleive it will be air conditioned so things will be more comfortable.

---Scott

samson44

New in Town
That's great news! :eusa_clap
It is way hot last year - and I felt for the men in wool.
However, it was neat to see all the Willys MB's parked out front of the barn.
Too bad we can't have a dance in front of a B-17 like in the "Memphis Belle" ;)

782-photo.jpg

samson44

New in Town
I must report that I had a fantastic time this year at the show. Dressing up just adds to the exctiment. It was nice meeting you Troy, and thanks for taking our photo. Here's some quick photos and news paper scans from Rockford. I had a small interview on the second page of the local paper: "Sam Hiser" is my name.
For full size photos and scans, go to:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Hizer314/WW2Days2008#

samnandrea%20vintage.jpg

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

samsig.jpg

IMG_1206.JPG

(On the front page of the 'Rockford Register Star')
img001.jpg

img002.jpg

img003.jpg

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I also had a blast!

Though I was supposed to also serve with the Red Army, I spent my time with the 4th Inf...

Go figure, my wife (Little blonde Ruskie waiting for chow) makes the paper!!

Man, I'm beat!

indieflmkr

Familiar Face
samson44 said:
I must report that I had a fantastic time this year at the show. Dressing up just adds to the exctiment. It was nice meeting you Troy, and thanks for taking our photo. Here's some quick photos and news paper scans from Rockford. I had a small interview on the second page of the local paper: "Sam Hiser" is my name.
For full size photos and scans, go to:

You're Welcome, Sam. It was good to meet you, too. Let me know if you get a chance to scan the 4 x 5 I took.

Troy

RHY

One of the Regulars
Next year?

Do you have the dates for next year's event? The Hawaii Historic Arms Association has a group of reenactors that would find this event interesting to attend.

indieflmkr

Familiar Face
RHY said:
Do you have the dates for next year's event? The Hawaii Historic Arms Association has a group of reenactors that would find this event interesting to attend.

I don't know if they have set the new dates yet or not, my suggestion is that you contact the event organizers (see the reenactor website in original post) ASAP as display space is beginning to fill up very quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner