Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Migraines - how to come out the other side

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
grey ghost said:
Does anyone else get what I call a migraine hangover, your head really does not hurt anymore but you fell grogy and fumble around with keys and things like that as well as strugling with your vocabulary?

Ghost

This almost sounds like the after effects that my husband has when he's had a seizure. He's been diagnosed with Partial Complex Seizures and takes meds to control them.

You might run this past your doctor to make sure everything is okay.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
:eek:fftopic: I'd suspect that many people have various pains related to the barometer--usually, a couple days before a major weather change out here

Oh, yes! Headache, and bones ache before the barometric change in our household. That's how we know we're going to get rain. :)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
I've read that lavender compresses help - but they make me sick. And I also recently read that peppermint can soothe the stomach. I amy try that next time.

The lavender may be too strong. I have a medical condtition that causes my migraines. Basically my spinal fluid will get backed up in my head and increase the pressure in my head, eyes, etc. I have to pay attention to my body and when I feal it coming on, dope my self up before it starts. (prescription water pills, pain relieveers, etc).

When I havent paid attention or it comes on outta the blue, I usually take what ever pain meds I have on hand (prescription ibprufen, prescript naproxen, etc) and try to sleep through it. Oh, and when I have no presriptions on hand, I find that tylenol for arthritis pain is one of the best ones out there (I take about 3 at a time)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
If you get them often enough, it might be worth discussing a daily anti seizure medicine called Topamax with your Dr. .

All depends on what is causing the migranes and if you want the side effects. I had topamax for awhile, side effects where great for a tad bit too (some dr prescribe it for wieghtloss, worked for about 15 pounds), but then I started succombing to the other side effects that werent so grand,(major anxiety, moods, although the body tingles were fun, except when they woke me when I was sleeping lol) and of course, it wasnt really helping with the headaches very much.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Peaceful John said:
Over several years, she was thoroughly examined by multiple doctors (MRI, etc) and it was determined that her headaches must be psychological in orgin because no -- no -- medical cause was discovered.

When I first started going to the dr because of my migraines I was looked at like I was insane because with the cat scans they did they saw nothing in my head to cause them. At one point I was given an i.v. with antihistmiens (i cant spell) because it must be allergies. It took going to the eye drs because I was getting tired of the blurry vision and head rushes thinking I had a prob with my eyes. HE looked in and saw that I had pressure against my eyeballs and had me go to a neurologist asap. Neuologist did an mri and found out the cause. I was soooooo happy to be diagnosed with a problem lol

oldmansit

New in Town
I used to get migraines a lot at work (somehow they started there). Then I read a little ditty on the internet. It detailed that flourecent lights and computers can trigger migraines. Flourecent lights flicker at one rate and your computer monitor flickers at a different rate. These two combined lead to a optical overload. Well I took that to heart and bought a bunch of cheap lamps to put in my office. Turn lamps on, turn overhead flourecents off. Not only is it more calming and peaceful but I have yet to get a migraine at work.

May not work for all or those who don't have a personal office but it sure helped me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff