Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Hair Brushes

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I searched and couldn't find older posts on this subject. I'm looking at buying one of the "Kent Military Hairbrushes". They are pretty expensive- but have fantastic long-standing reputation. I'm told these brushes were really good for the 30's 40's,50's hairstyles as the bristle spacing and design help to stimulate the natural oils in your scalp for shinier hair and they also allow for light to better reflect off of your hair. Appreciate any advice on these or other similar brushes you have used and if they have helped your hair. Also would like to know difference between the black and white bristles and which would be better for thick/but fine textured hair and best places to order/buy from.

Jeff Naylor

New in Town
Best place to buy from: http://stores.ebay.com/Kentbrushes

I'm told there's really no difference between the black and white bristles. I do find that using them gives my hair a sheen I don't get with regular brushes, and they smooth and flatten my hair out considerably.

BTW, you're supposed to work with two of them simultaneously. At the eBay outlet prices that's easily accomplished.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Jeff Naylor said:
Best place to buy from: http://stores.ebay.com/Kentbrushes

I'm told there's really no difference between the black and white bristles. I do find that using them gives my hair a sheen I don't get with regular brushes, and they smooth and flatten my hair out considerably.

BTW, you're supposed to work with two of them simultaneously. At the eBay outlet prices that's easily accomplished.

Thanks for the info Jeff. I didn't know about using two of them simultaneously, but now that you mention that I recall reading something to that effect awhile back, which ones do you have??

Jeff Naylor

New in Town
brylcreem boy said:
Thanks for the info Jeff. I didn't know about using two of them simultaneously, but now that you mention that I recall reading something to that effect awhile back, which ones do you have??
I use the military oval black bristles, like http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-MILITARY-O...11855QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I've been using them for 2-3 months now and like them quite a bit. The first few times I used them I lost several bristles, but none since then. For the price I don't think they can be beat.

According to the eBay store those brushes might be imperfects, but if there's a thing wrong with them I don't see it. I'm going to pick up a clothes brush from them one of these days too, I'm just sorry they don't sell the higher-end Kent shaving brushes.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Jeff Naylor said:
The grooming set I use from the early '30s (was a great great uncle's) only has one, and never had two[huh]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Avoid the brush from Sally Beauty Supply (it was suggested here in another thread). Too soft to do squat. The two I got became emergency shoe brushes.

Weston

A-List Customer
What?!? I've been wanting one of these for five years, thinking I can't afford it and they're under 20 bucks each?!? I always assumed they were like $70! That tears it, when my Air Force money comes through I'm ordering one for every member of the household, including the shaving set! Thanks for the link! :)

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Get One!

I use one every morning and evening. They are unlike any other brush I have used.

They really go all the way down to the scalp stimulating the skin underneath. Well worth the investment.

Just my $0.02.

Pyr.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Avoid the brush from Sally Beauty Supply (it was suggested here in another thread). Too soft to do squat. The two I got became emergency shoe brushes.

That's good to know I briefly thought about checking them out!! thanks Scotrace!!!!

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Pyroxene said:
I use one every morning and evening. They are unlike any other brush I have used.

They really go all the way down to the scalp stimulating the skin underneath. Well worth the investment.

Just my $0.02.

Pyr.

Thanx Pyr. Advice much appreciated.:)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
How do you clean a military brush?
I don't think I should soak it, and the official Kent site seems to be down.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Lefty said:
How do you clean a military brush?
I don't think I should soak it, and the official Kent site seems to be down.

Google archives of www.kentbrushes.com/advice_faq.asp:

How do I clean my brush/comb?

Regularly remove loose hair from the tufts by inserting a Kent hair brush cleaner (LPC2) or a comb at the side of the brush, and lift the old hair away. Be careful not to scrape the cleaner back and forth over the top of the tufts as this can cause damage especially to pure bristle. Wash occasionally using warm soapy water, but never use ammonia or harsh detergents. Submerge just the tufts, and not the brush back, and jiggle the brush to clean. Rinse in cold water and flick off surplus water and gently wipe dry with a clean towel. Allow to dry naturally with the bristles facing down away from sunlight, radiators, hairdryers and any artificial heat.​

mwelch8404

Familiar Face
scotrace said:

I found that they actually have a hard and a soft bristle vareity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner