Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minimalist Wardrobe

Kfz

Familiar Face
I have broad interests, ranging from heritage to dressing & modern sportswear. I have been following Carl Muraswki, Stridwise, Almost Vintage, Bootlosophy, He spoke, Kirby Allison, and more. It's just too many to follow and to acquire & wear them.

So I set myself a limit to the absolute minimal:

5 Shoes(including slippers!): Nike Vapor Lite2/ Adidas/Clarks/Edward Green Berkeley/Viberg 2030

5 Pants( dress to Jean): Ralph lauren wool blend/Levis 541/Arcteryx MX/Filson Draftsman Canvas/Prana Zion

5 Jackets(including coats!): Arcteryx/ 67 Naval Officers( replacing w a Suit/Blazer) /WWII Naval/ Aero Vincenza /Schott 613S

I try to keep the minimalist concept through out my other interests so my house won't became a storage place

Shoe us how minimal your wardrobe can be

Attachments

• 79EBB4F9-6D37-48BA-9528-2DE71B257B22.jpeg
    79EBB4F9-6D37-48BA-9528-2DE71B257B22.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 56
  • BAB84284-DC6C-4099-BFE5-E035FF76AF3C.jpeg
    BAB84284-DC6C-4099-BFE5-E035FF76AF3C.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 55
  • AFADD01A-3F2C-4600-8794-52CEEB2CDC49.jpeg
    AFADD01A-3F2C-4600-8794-52CEEB2CDC49.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
One of the most impressive personalities I ever met optimixed you’re approach.

He owned various properties in (i.a.) NYC, Nantucket, Miami, Zurich and Tuscany. In each house he stored the exact same pieces of clothing in multiples:
- Sand Chinos
- Sky blue Oxford Shirt
- Navy Blazer
- Navy Down Vest
- Stone Trenchcoat

He also had a Mountain Bike at each location.

He said he couldn’t bother with what to wear every day. Absolute legend!

I have broad interests, ranging from heritage to dressing & modern sportswear. I have been following Carl Muraswki, Stridwise, Almost Vintage, Bootlosophy, He spoke, Kirby Allison, and more. It's just too many to follow and to acquire & wear them.

5 Shoes(including slippers!): Nike Vapor Lite2/ Adidas/Clarks/Edward Green Berkeley/Viberg 2030

5 Pants( drees to Jean): Ralph lauren wool blend/Levis 541/Arcteryx MX/Filson Draftsman Canvas/Prana Zion

5 Jackets(including coats!): Arcteryx/ 67 Naval Officers( replacing w a Suit/Blazer) /WWII Naval/ Aero Vincenza /Schott 613S

I try to keep the minimalist concept through out my other interests so my house won't became a storage place

Sorry, does not compute!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am also a minimalist. At least deep down inside. It's just the realisation that's a problem.
So I triple or quadruple your figures and everything is fine.
The easiest thing would be to simply have 7 sets of identical clothes in the same colour. But also kind of boring.

Kfz

Familiar Face
Same idea of “ if you could only keep one leather jacket, coat, boots , dress shoes, snickers ,….. “
just to experiment how minimal one could live on, So that l could keep many interests, beyond wardrobe.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, does not compute!

I am in agreement - this does not happen at any of my houses.

Kfz; Shoot I may have black dress shoes equal to the number of shoes, pants and jackets you listed above. I appreciate your choice, but I am so far from your "normal" that I am not on any kind of comparable scale.

My spouse has motivated us to begin looking at "Mini-home design" for a new property we have acquired. I think it would be enjoyable. Enjoyable knowing that we do have other "normal " residences to "retreat to."

Interesting to think about.

Cheers, Eric. -

I am in agreement - this does not happen at any of my houses.

Kfz; Shoot I may have black dress shoes equal to the number of shoes, pants and jackets you listed above. I appreciate your choice, but I am so far from your "normal" that I am not on any kind of comparable scale.

My spouse has motivated us to begin looking at "Mini-home design" for a new property we have acquired. I think it would be enjoyable. Enjoyable knowing that we do have other "normal " residences to "retreat to."

Interesting to think about.

Cheers, Eric. -
Early in our retirement we considered moving to a new home......one with more room for our stuff!

Kfz

Familiar Face
Not asking anyone to agree or follow. As long as you are happy, congrats!
I just happen to have many more interests.
Just to name a few: photography, high end audio, Sport car, diesel tractor, custom designed house, and many more

Cheers

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Early in our retirement we considered moving to a new home......one with more room for our stuff!
Exactly, when you have no kids it leaves a bedroom each, not to sleep in, we still share a double bed, but we have a rather large, walk in wardrobe apiece. Inside the lady's room, on the left hand wall, are some of her shoes. I say some because further along are more shoes.
shoes 001.JPG

Given her talent with a sewing machine neither of us could be described as minimalist, but I can claim one thing. There's not a denim jacket or a pair of jeans in my wardrobe, there you go. Okay, so I am not taken with denim, but you couldn't get more minimalist than none.

Just to name a few: photography, high end audio, Sport car, diesel tractor, custom designed house, and many more

Cheers
So do you have just one diesel tractor? Just one sports car? Just one custom designed house?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
When I was a kid, the movie The Fly (1986) with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis left a big impression on me. I don't remember the details well now, but I think he had three of the exact same complete outfit, so he never had to be bothered with making any wardrobe decision. I immediately thought that was such a cool idea. It hit me at my core. I don't live anything like that, but I do have a less is more approach in life. It's created some dissonance, as I've also been a collector of things my entire life, from baseball cards to comics to x, y, and z. I've never been able to allow the collections to get out of hand, and at some point, I always feel the anxiety to purge and reset. I connect with minimalism, while maximalism (?) actively flies counter to my sensibilities. I appreciate running into it in interior design, though it is a true rarity. Most people enjoy their stuff and are fine with clutter. It makes my brain go haywire.

Kudos to you folks who streamline your life.

Edward

Bartender
When I was a kid, the movie The Fly (1986) with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis left a big impression on me. I don't remember the details well now, but I think he had three of the exact same complete outfit, so he never had to be bothered with making any wardrobe decision.

Something along those lines, yes. It goes back to an oft-told story about Einstein, later in his life, supposedly wearing the same outfit every day in order to save time and brain capacity for his work. I've never been entirely convinced that that story was wholly true, but it is popularly accepted as such. Lots of well-known 'tech bros' have performatively done this ever since, claiming to be 'above' the material, though I've long suspected what they really want to do is project the notion that they are in possession of genius in the level of Einstein.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
As a financial engineer and basic shirt, sweater, khakki casual slob I come and go as I please since leaving
the regiment at Aldershot for the LSE and City. I look more Croydon than Cambridge. Very minimalist-minded.

litework

New in Town

Cheers
I can't seem to walk past my tractor without either getting blue or red grease on my pants or boots. No rough-cut leathers for me.

DanielPetmr

New in Town

5 Pants( dress to Jean): Ralph lauren wool blend/Levis 541/Arcteryx MX/Filson Draftsman Canvas/Prana Zion

신용카드 현금화
It sounds like you've set a minimalist approach to your wardrobe, focusing on essentials while still incorporating a range of styles and interests. Keeping a limited number of shoes, pants, and jackets allows for versatility without overwhelming your space. This approach aligns with your broader goal of maintaining simplicity throughout your life, ensuring that each item serves a purpose and brings value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner