Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mission Impossible 3

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
That's what I was meaning, 'entrapment' he was still looking good, but it seemed he started that turn around the corner into the 'grampa' look.
I always thought I was a bit weird for thinking Patrick Stewart was sexy! It's strange, he's not exactly handsome by today's standards at all, but he definetely has 'it'....he portrays great intelligence and a confidence in himself without being arrogant.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I watched reruns of the original MI series as a kid with my dad, and when the new series came out in the '90s, we enjoyed that one as well.

The new MI is a farce. Other than the names of the characters, it bears little if any similarity to the original series. The situations and events are pure Hollywood in the worst sense of the term.

The original series' premise was far better. The team's modius operandi was to operate without ever being detected, to defuse a possibly internationally hazardous incident without anyone knowing the incident-or the operation against it- might have occured. Get in, quitely take out the bad guys, get out, vanish. They were never caught, and their targets often never knew that the team was working against them.

Explosions, high-profile kidnappings, knock-down, drag-out fistfights, death-defying shootouts on collapsing bridges and the like would have been a failure of an operation in the original series.

Hollywood is running out of ideas, so they're taking the big icons of the past with recognition and repackaging them to get people in the door. They've been doing this for close to 15 years now. It's a cycle, though, and there's a movement back to what made the old movies and series work. There's also some innovation and realisim on the rise, look at the Jason Bourne series for this.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
:rolleyes:

Because using someone's dead body to break your fall for over 10 stories is totally realistic.
You mean that doesn't work?:p
There's been only a small handful of remake movies where I could say that they did a good job(ie:pride and Prejudice). I don't like it when they feel like they need to add things to make it better, it usually doesn't-and then there are the movies where they were great the first time and should just be left well enough alone! (like Casablanca)

Jovan

Suspended
If they kept Casablanca in the 1940s, it COULD work with the right actors. But then they'd probably feel compelled to change the characters into ones who aren't German, since every German officer during WWII = Nazi SS ba***rd to the average American's eye. :rolleyes:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Rather than start a new thread I'm reviving this one. Has anyone seen the latest offering? Does Ethan Hunt actually upstage James Bond as Brian Viner suggests? I have yet to see the film but would appreciate comments from those who have.

Tom Cruise turned 61 three days ago, which is too old to be hurtling through a window of the Orient Express still wearing a parachute, after leaping off the top of an Austrian mountain.

Oh, and the train is zooming towards a booby-trapped bridge, with the driver dead and a 'cruciform' key on board that could destroy the world as we know it.

Only Tom, or rather Ethan Hunt, the megastar's alter ego since 1996, has both the nous and the muscle to deal with such a parlous situation.

It is years since Hunt overtook James Bond to be arguably the world's most famous secret agent. Dead Reckoning Part One is the seventh Mission: Impossible movie and the stunts just keep getting better and better. There are some real corkers in this film: at the Spanish Steps in Rome and the Doge's Palace in Venice, but above all when things kick off on the Orient Express. So writes Brian Viner, film critic: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...BRIAN-VINER-reviews-M-Dead-Reckoning-One.html

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ For what it's worth, I plowed through all the movies in this series (that have been released) last summer over a few weeks, so they were all fresh in my mind, not viewings separated by years. I had only seen the first movie (when originally released) but for some reason had never seen any of the others. I was underwhelmed by the first three movies, but found the next three (4 Ghost Protocol, 5 Rogue Nation, 6 Fallout) to be really good entertainment, more interesting than Bond mostly, and I'm looking forward to the last two which have yet to be released. The stunts in 6 were just amazing, supposedly mostly real-world stuff.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Rather than start a new thread I'm reviving this one. Has anyone seen....
No, but I chased several articles, YT reviews to get something of a feel for MI Dead Reckoning. Stunts aside, not my
cuppa-and Bond slipped into absurdity long before Brosnan though I thought he captured the man's persona well.
Cruise certainly deserves a bow with stand-o for his dedication and I'll probably see this for action packed immersion.
TC gives audiences their money's worth and Ethan Hunt is a full measure American James Bond. I would venture this
MI flick suffers political correctnessism with need for inclusivity gender, race, sexual orientation, trans, undecided....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran