Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mission: impossible? Quick hairdo needed! plus pincurl question

VivaciousLady

New in Town
Hi ladies,

I've got a swing dance to go to in, oh, an hour and thirty minutes. (So I don't know if I'll even get REPLIES by then! ;)). Being a college student with all my vintagey accouterments 3,000 miles away, all I've really got are bobby pins, round brush, comb, and a flat iron. What can I do?? Any suggestions? :eusa_doh:

Also, I WAS on top of my game last night and did pin curls, but when I took them out, my hair formed the shape of, well, Bozo the clown. SERIOUSLY. It stuck out on either side of my head and I tried brushing it down but that puffed it up even more. Worse: one side was less puffy than other! I really have no idea what I did wrong, because I felt so confident when I did the pincurls. (I was too ashamed to take a picture!)

Why oh why can't I just get nice waves? The only thing I can think of is either my hair is too short, or I wasn't really following a diagram... [huh]

Any tips/ideas? I know this is probably rehashing a lot of threads, but I just had to vent.. rah! lol

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Hopefully i'm not too late! Flat iron it real good, then you can't ever go wrong with a really high pony tail tied with ribbon! Unless your hair is waaaay too short for a pony.
And...i may have never done pin curls in my hair because..well...i only have 2 arms...but my experience with any kind of curl... never brush that stuff out...or you'll get the..*ahem* bozo look.
Hopefully you can figure something out! Good luck!:)

VivaciousLady

New in Town
Thanks martini time! Sadly my hair IS slightly too short (it's just above shoulder length) for a ponytail :( And lol... I know what you mean about having only two arms! Usually I can do it fairly well but.. ugggh. It just was a huge mess this time. :p

Tourbillion

Practically Family
When my hair looks like bozo (which is most of the time), I put a hairnet from the drugstore over it, and voila, instant 40's perfection.

This happened at the FL Queen Mary event last November. See photos for evidence.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I know I'm late, but I'll give my two cents anyway in case you need it for next time! ;)

You can do pin curls with a flat iron. Yep. Roll small dry sections into a very smooth flat curl, being sure to keep the end of the strand wound nicely in the center. Clamp the curl into the flat iron for a few seconds, then let cool.

When brushing out curls, you may need to "mold" them around your hand or fingers, and also use a touch of shine serum or VO5 hairdressing cream.

But, sometimes it just won't tame~ and as I've stated in other threads, I think it's OK because I've seen much photographic evidence of "real" 40's gals with hair that did not cooperate. Relax and don't worry if you don't get Hollywood perfect locks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore