Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mobster Movies

djhatman

One of the Regulars
After watching Millers Crossing and The Untouchables with me my girlfriend has come to see what great movies they can be. Now she is hooked the problem is I don't now of to many good to great mob movies. Any ideas would be helpful. We will be seeing The Godfather in a theater in a few weeks and the part two after that. Goodfellas is also on the list. Any I would love any other ideas that you all may have. I would like to keep it in the early part of mob history as she likes the clothes they wear just like the rest of us.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Off the top of my head:

The Road to Perdition (best to-date, in my opinion)
Dillinger (with Warren Oates 1973)
St. Valentine's Day Massacre (with Jason Robards)
Public Enemies (with Johnny Depp)

Period movies (these are more gangster than mobster):
"Roaring Twenties"
"Angels with Dirty Faces"
"White Heat"
"The Public Enemy"
...oh, what-the-hell....any movie with Jimmy Cagney in it....:)
Rob

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
"Once Upon a Time in America."

"Godfather I and II"

More a cop movie than mobster, but "LA Confidential" is one of my contemporary favorites.

"Bugsy"

Golden Age:

"Touchez pas au Grisby" and "Pepe le Moko" Jean Gabin is the man!

dr greg

One Too Many
Gabin the Man

Chasseur said:
"Touchez pas au Grisby" and "Pepe le Moko" Jean Gabin is the man!
Love Ghrisbi, one of my fave films, and I recently read a book about the French gangster scene of the Postwar period that it inspired at the time, there was some pretty crazy stuff going on..the Govt issued the Gendarmes with submachine guns to try and combat the lawlessness but didn't bother to train them in their use (very laissez faire, non?) so there were lots of innocent civilians killed in shootouts and stuffups that just amaze a contemporary reader.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
OMG!! BUGSY!!!!

I haven't seen that movie in YEARS! I loved it as a kid!

Let's see...what else...

Once upon a Time in America - A VERY good suggestion. Back that one 100%.

"Road to Perdition"...meh.

GF 1 & 2 --- five stars. Lovely films.

Goodfellas...not really my thing, but enjoyable, nonetheless.

The Untouchables - also good, but lacks any historical accuracy with regards to Ness & Capone.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Marc,

That's the strangest thing I've seen since I watched the first "Evil Dead" movie... Man who thought that was a good idea...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know if Bugsy Malone is available on DVD? What I would give to add that movie to my collection! I ADORED those little pedal-cars that made the film famous. I wish I had one as a kid.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Leave the gun, take the cannoli

LIFE & STYLE AUGUST 13, 2009, 10:53 P.M. ET
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204886304574308603266273652.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

What Puzo Godfathered 40 Years Ago

In 1969, an obscure middle-aged novelist and pulp magazine journalist named *Mario Gianluigi Puzo hit the literary jackpot. He wrote "The Godfather," he later told Larry King, "to make money." By his own admission, it wasn't well written. "If I'd known so many people were going to read it," he famously said, "I'd have written it better."

Perhaps, though, Puzo *deserves a suspended sentence for his contribution to film rather than literature. The enormous success of the book poses an interesting question: Why didn't the descendants of Dante produce more first-rate writers in this country? The likely *answer is that the grandparents of the great Italian-American film directors—Mr. Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Brian DePalma, Michael Cimino, Quentin Tarantino and others—came here unable to speak a new language and illiterate even in their native tongue. The younger generation found a new medium to turn the pulp of Mafia legend into art.

If Puzo wasn't a genius, he at least found a way to inspire genius. One might call him the Godfather of Italian-American film.

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
The 1973 Dillinger movie is a great hat movie. I am pretty sure I saw a felt version of an Optimo. It was on for only a millisecond but looked very cool. Lots of straws, lots of felts and the movie was entertaining. Definitely worth renting.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Dr. Greg...

Would you please pass along the title and author of the book you mentioned about crime in post-War France? I'm sure I'm not the only one with an interest in that topic.
Thanks in advance!

BillyCigars

New in Town
Others:

Capone - With Ben Gazzara & Sylvester Stallone
Hoodlum - Laurence Fishburne as Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson
A Bronx Tale - Takes place in the 50's & 60's
Donnie Brasco - Takes place in the 70's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member