Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Model aircraft - In the larger scale

Flieger

Practically Family
Today I visited at a friends house outside the city where I live. This guy started out as a very competent 1/4th scale RC aircraft builder and flyer but has since moved on to slightly larger things.

The story starts back in 1952 when this thing hit the ground (pilot jumped safe) where it rested in a bog until 1999 when the SwAF decided to collect the parts and bring it home. Reviewing what they had to work with they realized that they where never able to bring it back to "life" so the put the parts in crates and forgot about them. Fast forward to 2004 when my friend managed to convince them to release the parts in his care.

First photo shows what it looked like when it was dumped at his front yard:

versikt_01.jpg

Second photo shows the progress today:

Airframe_2007_12_07.jpg

Even if this lady never will fly again, I feel very honoured just to be near her and helping out, in whatever small way I can, to make her look her best again.

Cheers
/F

PS: It's a P-51D Mustang by the way, or a "S 26" to be exact - The SwAF photo recc version. This is the only one of 13 built/converted that survived until this day. :)

Jay

Practically Family
I never cease to be amazed at the way they can bring an old bird back to life from a scattering of crumpled parts. The progress looks great. Flieger, I'm jealous you can be a part of such a noble enterprise.

Flieger

Practically Family
Twitch said:
Didn't see the engine. Is it around? All things are possible with money as far as rebuilds of historic aircraft go.:)

The enigine is also there but it's rather smashed. Not only did the aircraft crash, it was also used for target practice by the airforce. :eusa_doh:

/F

Flieger

Practically Family
Maybe some of you are interested in a small update?

This is what the airframe looks like today:
S26_restoration.jpg

About one yard of the rear airframe, between the canopy and the tail, was compleatly missing and new bulkheads had to be manufactured from original NAA-blueprints. That part of the aircraft held the camera on the Swedish recc-version of the P-51D so modifications had to be done to the original drawings to accomodate the SwAF modifications (camera mountings and a different arrangement of the rudderlines.

Slowly getting there. :)

NOTE: In case someone is keeping tracks of these things. The aircraft in question is former P-51D20, 44-72112.

/F

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Aren't you guys missing something...I thought these things had something sticking out on the sides....like wings?;)

No serious - this is fantastic!!! Well done so far:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Flieger

Practically Family
LOL! Yes, we have wings. Right now they look like the old beercans you can sometimes find when you dig in your back yard...
wing.jpg

This is the best one btw.

It's just a matter of duct-tape and bondo. ;)

/F

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What a marvellous project!!

I can hardly imagine the painstaking hours of panel beating and recutting that must be going on.

I wonder what 'livery/markings' will be eventually chosen for her?

And where will she be displayed? Must be a few years work left yet, but this is just so inspiring bringing this vintage baby back to life :eusa_clap

Flieger

Practically Family
After completion (yes, it will take a couple of years more) she will first be displayed here at the local museum for a season or so.

After that she'll be moved to her home base - The 21st Wing in Luleå. This was the only Wing that flew this bird. As far as we know, this is the only S 26-variant that exist today.

13 where built/converted, a few crashed or was scrapped. Some where sold to warbird collectors in the US (then re-converted back to original fighter status).

This is how she looked when on active duty in the SwAF... and this is how she's going to be displayed once again:
26084_karlsson_S.jpg

donCarlos

Practically Family
Sorry if you´ve already written it, but do you plan to send her to the sky again, or are you just restoring it for static display? Because it would be really pity if it was never to fly again. I know how much work it is, but....

Flieger

Practically Family
donCarlos said:
Sorry if you´ve already written it, but do you plan to send her to the sky again, or are you just restoring it for static display? Because it would be really pity if it was never to fly again. I know how much work it is, but....

I'm sorry but in this case Static Display was the only option. This poor lady was too banged up and neglected ever to fly again. :(

/F

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Question: Are they taking the old mangled metal and flattening it out, or are they getting new sheet metal and forming it? Are they able to straighten out the propeller, etc? How much original material will wind up being used? I think it's cool that the old bird will wear her original Swedish livery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael