Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moderators not doing their jobs...

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
As a person who frequents many forums, this is the most civil and eloquent band of adventurers I've ever had the pleasure of frolicking with. Thank you, Bartenders!

Matt

JB

New in Town
Hi guys

I'm new, but have been loitering around the lounge door for a while. Hi everyone!

As a member of quite a few message boards (although not so many that I don't get any sunlight!), this is a breath of fresh air. So many get 'spammed-up' with arguments, that I drift away for quite a while. It must get hard for Mods to do their jobs on those boards, but I'm sure they try.

It's only the quality boards that remain visited. This board, and all the members, simply exude class in everything, and it's a pleasure to read. Polite, courteous and informed.

Please don't ever change, cats and kittens.

JB
(real name is John, but JB is generally who I am these days).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome to The Fedora Lounge, JB. We're glad to have you here.

You're all making us blush. But I can assure you that these kind words are making us all beam with delight. :)

Our members are a fantastic, fascinating group of people from around the globe. We're enormously proud of that and try our level best to protect it.

Thanks, all. The applause are yours!

Phil

A-List Customer
I found an image appropriate to what some other forums are. Not meant to bash any one forum, I just think it's funny.
n7815521_32916303_4201.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
lol lol lol lol

Thanks for the memories Phil..reminds me of myself & the first wife!!!

This Bartender thanks all of you for the sentiments expressed in this thread. As my nature, I've stayed away from it till now but since others have chimed in I will also.
Thank GOD we banned politics!!!! I believe that was the single most disruptive area and the one that made SO many people jut their chins out over. I personally have always enjoyed a good political debate but usually there was a bottle of Crown Royal handy and handshakes ended the debate. Agreeing to disagree has it's merits. Unfortunately, that isn't common.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett said:
I personally have always enjoyed a good political debate but usually there was a bottle of Crown Royal handy and handshakes ended the debate. Agreeing to disagree has it's merits. Unfortunately, that isn't common.

Ahh...there's the big problem with the internet.

People are still having libations, just not together in the same room. There is much to be said for the ability to look someone in the eye during a debate. On the internet, all nuance is lost. Emoticons are insufficient when walking the fine line of political discourse. When it's just an avatar on the other end of your argument, it is very easy to maintain your hostility. When you must look into the face of another human being, understanding and empathy tend to creep in.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Agreed Alan, face to face makes all the difference in the world!! My father used to say anything to anyone, as long as he was smiling nobody could get too upset.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes when I look at the various threads on the FL I think, these are just people who want to play dress up. Then I sometimes I think, these are just people who want to whine about how "the good old days" were so much better. But sometimes I find a discussion like this and I'm reminded why this has become such a major thing in my life so quickly. I think the moderators do a great job. But I think mainly that the people in the lounge are really about identifying, and preserving the truly important things in life that are being trampled and brushed aside. When we wear that nifty hat, we're not just trying to look cool. We're trying to personify an ideal. It's a whole lot more than style, or class. It's character. I think the reason this group works so well is that the individual members are all dedicated to a certain standard of behavior and attitude. And the way they show it is by living it. The accouterments are just talismans that help us channel that spirit. I had not been wearing my old ties for a few years, as I always used to. And since I bought my new hat, I started wearing them again. And I must say, it's affecting my outlook on life in subtle but real way.
So thank you FL. It all really means something.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
We are not Emoticons

Art Fawcett
My father used to say anything to anyone, as long as he was smiling nobody could get too upset.

Yes, the the subtleties of the face ( eyebrows, the sparkle in ones eyes, the lines about the face and every angle on a smile) the complete package along with the discussion at hand.

Art and Alan your on top of my list to talk about anything while face to face and having a few cocktails. (well hats will take a few days lol then we can move on to many things ... politics at some point.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WEEGEE said:
Yes, the the subtleties of the face ( eyebrows, the sparkle in ones eyes, the lines about the face and every angle on a smile)...

...the bared teeth, the clawed fingers, the reaching for throats... :D

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jake_fink said:
I'm actually much ruder in person than I am online, but that's just because I like getting in fights and feel depressed if I don't get to punch someone now and again. .

Be careful, my good man ... I just got back from court TODAY for something like this ... I was lucky to have it busted down to an infraction, "disturbing the peace" instead of misdemeanor assault ... the judge felt bad for me since it was my older brother who had pressed the charges ... the judge said he didn't want to see me writing my dissertation from JAIL. (He even waived the hundred dollar fine.)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
:kick:
PrettySquareGal said:
carebear said:
...the bared teeth, the clawed fingers, the reaching for throats...

Oh bartender, can you please DO something about him?! He frightens me!

"Look buddy, you must be mistaken. I don't think the Lady wants you around her, pal. Maybe it's time you went back over to your friends over there, before I have to call a few knuckle draggers over here to set you on the straight and narrow."

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Zohar said:
:kick:

"Look buddy, you must be mistaken. I don't think the Lady wants you around her, pal. Maybe it's time you went back over to your friends over there, before I have to call a few knuckle draggers over here to set you on the straight and narrow."

:D :D :D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I guesse a forum - or lounge - is as good or as bad as it's members.

I have been in forums - and left them again - where the whole atmosphere was so uptight, gung-ho, redbloded american (sorry) that even the smallest remark not in line with the webmaster and his followers, was flamed right there.
Just because the subject for the forum was 101 Airborne in WWII everybody obiviously felt the need to make war all the time. (Except the 101 AB veterans who were there - they actually were some of the most nice and wellbehaved persons on that board. Maybe because they had nothing to prove. The rest were wannabees!)
Many of its members could make racial, sexualharrassing jokes or talk s... about political oponents, but if somebody tried to joke back, defend or discuss it, you got the hammer and were told to f... of and dont let the door hit you etc....:rolleyes:

While in this lounge - as soon as you enter the door, you feel the laidback atmosphere. The culture and period we all like some or a lot from, is "rubbing off" on the members and newcommers. This is just not a place where you are rude. You can make jokes - yes, but only if you feel you know the guys and girls you talk with. Just like in real life.
Of course it must have started with some bartenders down the line - but I guesse every single member also feel a great responsibillity to keep this nice atmosphere. And thank you for that.:eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, as the newest bartender, but a member for a time, I have had a bombardment of welcome from the bartender staff. They have been more than willing to reply to my questions, help me out, all without belittling me as a newcomer, and letting me find my own ropes.

Thanks, guys and gals. :)

LD

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Well, as the newest bartender, but a member for a time, I have had a bombardment of welcome from the bartender staff. They have been more than willing to reply to my questions, help me out, all without belittling me as a newcomer, and letting me find my own ropes.

Thanks, guys and gals. :)

LD

Hey bartender! :D
So do we get our free drinks now!? :beer: lol lol lol

:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred