Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern cars with vintage style

KilroyCD
I really enjoy driving my wife's HHR. The leather interior is well done with some nice clever features...and a great sound system. She has the LT2 model 2.4 mid size engine. Peppy...34 mpg highway so far...but it's not broke in yet. I drove a panel and liked it as well...only thing..NO BACK SEAT!!! In any event...it seems to be a well made car. Pretty good bang for the buck..IMO.
HD

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
HoosierDaddy said:
I purchased a Solstice GXP this past summer and just love it.

It's a great looking car! I sure hope your experience with your Pontiac 2-seater goes better than my own experience with a Pontiac 2-seater! I bought a Pontiac Fiero in 1984. I loved it, but the problems it had... I won't tally them here. I just hope that Pontiac has learned how to build a reliable car since then. My buddy started referring to it as my Pontiac Fiasco.

That was my first new car. I often wished I'd seen the Honda CRX before buying the Fiero. It came out the same year. I was so badly burned I didn't buy a new car again for 20 years, when I bought my Cruiser. (I did buy a couple of new motorcycles during that time, though! :D )

Cheers,
Tom

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I really like the modern Dodge Charger. Sleek lines, clean and has a powerful and historic powerplant. Be still my beating heart...

DodgeCharger.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
HoosierDaddy said:
I drove a panel and liked it as well...only thing..NO BACK SEAT!!!
HDaddy, I know it has no back seat, which is one of the reasons I like it. I need room to haul my gear, whether it be vintage bicycles or reenacting gear. I have a second car for hauling people. But then again, my other car is a 2+2 and you need to be a bit of a snake dancer to get into the back seat...

Sarge

One of the Regulars
The French car maker PGO makes a line of retro-styled roadsters. Look like fun little cars.

I really like the 2002 PGO Speedster II
pgo_speedster_II_front.jpg

pgo_speedster_II_rear.jpg

pgo_speedster_II_interior.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
Sarge said:
The French car maker PGO makes a line of retro-styled roadsters. Look like fun little cars.

I really like the 2002 PGO Speedster II
pgo_speedster_II_front.jpg

pgo_speedster_II_rear.jpg

pgo_speedster_II_interior.jpg
Now that's more like it! Great styling, spartan interior (a must for any roadster) and all! It looks just like a 356 Speedster, with minimal changes, aesthetically. Thanks for introducing that to me. Never heard of it before.

Thank you Tango Yankee
This Solstice GXP is nothing like a Fiero. I had an '85 6cyl. Fiero...and fortunately had no problems with it. It too was a fun car....but the Solstice GXP is quite different. Front engine(no overheating probs) Bigger car feel...much more performance and refined. It's really in a class all it's own. This '07 is the second year run....most of the bugs out of it. There was a differental seal replacement recall. I think the Fiero had some design flaws..especially with the 4 cyl. I've had pretty good luck with Pontiacs...TransAms...GrandPrix...etc. So far so good with this GXP!!!
HD

merkman

Familiar Face
There's a large number of Speedster replicas you can get here in the states,from lousy to pretty good. Then when you drive it around , you can be snubbed and ridiculed by all the owners of real Porsche's!
As far as the Solstice and Sky go ,fun cars screwed together reasonably well, a bold move by GM. I just wish they could design a nicer fitting, easier to use convertible top . Having to work on convertibles nearly every day, these top's remind me of british roadsters of the sixties!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is something about the Chrysler's very flat roofline that makes them feel vintage to me although the 50 era 300 series, for example, did not share it.

CharlesB

Suspended
merkman said:
There's a large number of Speedster replicas you can get here in the states,from lousy to pretty good. Then when you drive it around , you can be snubbed and ridiculed by all the owners of real Porsche's!
As far as the Solstice and Sky go ,fun cars screwed together reasonably well, a bold move by GM. I just wish they could design a nicer fitting, easier to use convertible top . Having to work on convertibles nearly every day, these top's remind me of british roadsters of the sixties!
I saw this one special on people dumping small block v8s into solstices.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The modern car with the most vintage style without a doubt still has to be the Morgan +4, 4/4 and Roadster. They are made in very much the same way as they were 70 years ago even with ash wood frames, and the overall look of the car hasn't changed

plus4_static.jpg

Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned the Morgan Aero 8 but that's an ugly brute with cross-eyed headlights.

Edward

Bartender
I adore Morgans - if I was going to run a car, I'd love one of thse. Especially something like a Plus 4 with a sympathetically designed hard top. I am very definitely one for the vintage aesthetics, though modern reliability is an attraction too.

I really like the sound of the Life Car

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/lifecar/lifecar.html

life%20car%20side.jpg

life%20car%20top%202.jpg

It looks a little too modern for me just here, but they are apparently planning on putting it into production - if it looked just a little closer to a 4/4 it'd be pretty much perfect for me. It is a hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicle, and its only emission is water vapour. Vintage style combined with modern reliability and environmental awareness is only just around the corner!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
I adore Morgans

Me too Edward. And by the sounds of it, you, like me, prefer the traditional versions over the modernised designs. Saying that, I think Morgan have done very well by keeping their tradition models as well as releasing more modern designs.

My mother had a boyfriend when living in England who had a three wheeled Moggie, apparently it was an absolute hoot.

Decodence

A-List Customer
SamMarlowPI said:
agreed...and apparently in the new challenger there is a little bit of each original year challenger...pretty cool...

and yes, the new camaro is a big disappointment if they were shooting for the old muscle car look...
Both the Challenger and Camaro were pony cars, not muscle cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran