Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Singers, Classic Music?

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Not sure if anyone has posted something similar... but I am a HUGE fan of Michael Bublé. For those who aren't familiar he is a 30 yr. old 'crooner' who is freakishly talented & charming. His influences are Bobby D, Ella, Frank... He performs with full band orchestra, suit & tie. His music is amazing and the Sinatra family loves him, so does Liza! His revival of classic standards and his showmanship are fantastic! His 2nd studio album, 'It's Time' is up for 2 Grammy awards.

It's Time Track List:
Feeling Good
A Foggy Day (In London Town)
You Don't Know Me
Quando, Quando, Quando - duet featuring Nelly Furtado
Home
Can't Buy Me Love
The More I See You
Save the Last Dance For Me
Try A Little Tenderness
How Sweet It Is
Song For You - featuring Chris Botti
I've Got You Under My Skin
You And I
Dream a Little Dream special edition cd
Mack the Knife special edition cd

Michael Bublé self title debut Track List:
Fever
Moondance
Kissing A Fool
For Once In My Life
How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
Summer Wind
You'll Never Find Another Love
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Put Your Head On My Shoulder
Sway
The Way You Look Tonight
Come Fly With Me
That's All

Other great artists are Jane Monheit, Erin Boheme... Anyone know of anybody else?

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
This is exactly the thread I have been mulling over starting myself. Well, almost. Thanks for getting it going.

Buble - I think he is really cool. I've seen him in only a couple interviews and TV performances (like the Today show and Letterman - I have heard him on the radio quite a bit), but I like his persona. He has a great presence and comes off very well. Vocally, also good. I must say that there is something about his voice that I can't quite put my finger on. I don't know if it's how he is forming his words, if he's not opening his mouth all the way, or what, but there's something that is tough on my ears. "Tough," is probably even too strong a word. Some arrangements of the more classic standards I have heard, as well as those that have become synonymous with FS, border on schmaltzy. I think that's the word I want. I get the feeling of cheesy lounge night club or really bad karaoke accompaniment. That's not exactly what I want to say, either. Like I said, there is just something about some of the music and his pronunciation that irks me a little.

I think I am a little jealous, too, truly. I mean, I'm not looking for any kind of career change, but at 34, I'm close enough in age to picture myself similarly to MB. We don't own either cd, but my wife would like to, and I'm not turning off the radio when he comes on. Quite the contrary, I'm turning up the volume. Like I said, I do think he's really cool, and pretty sure he's growing on me.

Standards in general by modern artists are hard for me to listen to in many respects. I think the absolute worst thing I have attempted to stomach is Rod Stewart. Not my cup of tea at all. We are subscribers to Sirius and they used to have a channel called "Swingstreet", but have reorganized many of their station locations and combined "Swingstreet" with their "Standard Time." We hear a whole lot less big band, old crooning, and swing, and more of today's artists doing a less than beat-up job on many of our old favorites. We are listening less and less. I am not an absolute purist when it comes to this type of music, but I do prefer the original recordings, in most cases. And what is it with scat? Why anyone thinks they need to try to do this is beyond me. It is the ultimate butchering of all things holy. Well, I am just trying to be dramatic. Scat is just something that I think shouldn't be in the song. Sing the words, that's why they were written. And how about a melody? What is a song, but words and melody? Many times you have to listen very, very closely to make out what the song is as so much liberty is taken with the melody (I mean 90% of the notes. Careful selection of differently-placed notes adds icing. Nothing wrong with taking liberties, just don't completely re-write the song). Add the scat in lieu of words and now we have jibberish. If there aren't going to be intelligible words or recognizable melody, I'd rather hear an instrument really doing its thing - just not the vocal instrument. Tempos, I think, shouldn't be messed with too much, either. Sure, it's okay to approach a number a little differently by doing it a little slower or a little quicker - and even change the mood when doing so; it can be very effective. Some artists take it to the extreme. Those that speed it up also like to scat, it seems. Those that slow way down make you tired listening to them. Not sleepy, weary. "Is it ever going to end?"

Of course not all modern jazz artists are treating the standards this way, but many do.

But you know what, Cabinetman, lots of folks like it! Yes, this is true, and more power to 'em. Honestly. It's wonderful these modern artists can be out making a living with their voice. I don't have to like it. Thank goodness for those who do. I totally appreciate the talent, sometimes not the product. I just listen to something else.

I'm afraid I didn't do a very good job of sticking to your thread's theme. I recognize Jane Monheit's name, and know I've heard her on Sirius, but I can't hear her in my mind. Erin Boheme doesn't ring a bell. Let's see...how about...oh, what's her name? Calloway or Galloway, I think is her last name. She was all right when I heard her.

We're going to see the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra tonight. Can't wait.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I know what you are saying... he's Canadian, and I always hear his accent- I am not a vocal/singing expert, but sometimes I think he sounds a little nasaly. (sp?) But a great barritone/tenor. I think that was his fear, when he first started out over 10 years ago, to be labeled a 'lounge singer', but I have seen him in concert soooo many times, and know enough about him, know his friends, met him a few times- it's really just him singing the songs his way. He works with David Foster and actually, his arrangement for the Beatles' 'Can't Buy me Love' is up for a Grammy- This version is jazz/big band and AMAZING. You sing as well, I assume? Won't comment on the Rod Stewart attempts! I am not a purist either, but I know exactly what you mean, and I don't mind scat if it's done properly- if that makes sense! Have fun tonight!

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
So how many times have you seen MB? Like I said, he's growing on me. And you've met him? That's very cool ("cool" is the theme with him, eh?). I mean, celebrities are just people, too, but that's still pretty neat, I think.

I know he's Canadian, and one can probably attribute some of the singing qualities I mentioned to an accent. But I didn't want to consider that really. I was afraid that if I mentioned it, I would offend someone, which is not on my list of things to do. I suppose accents are only accents to "outsiders" anyway, aren't they?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Buble, Rod, Manilow, Westlife..et al...

Buble just doesn't do it for me at all. I appreciate this is going against the grain of many, as he has a huge following, but...he just lacks that certain ingredient or 'je ne sais pas' for me.
I hate myself to saying this or even thinking it, but actually Robbie Williams 'aint that bad' when it comes to some of the old time stuff. Can't believe I said that! but I must feel it's true:rolleyes:
Rod Stewart...again, just doesn't produce the goods when it comes to vintage tracks.
Barry Manilow singing to the Big Bands, mmm, actually, again to my surprise, not a bad job at all, and certainly tops Buble!
Westlife...? singing Frank Sinatra songs...Frank is probably rolling in his bed in Heaven's Presidential suite! They are weak vocally, and the real stars are the musicians in the band (also the female artist, who is an amateur found through a national singing competition, but is much better than the well paid beautiful Irish boys!).

Both Williams and Manilow are a BIG surprise, they need to do more!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Well, I discovered him in 2003 & Feb 12th @ the Las Vegas Hilton will be my 7th, and March 4th @ Radio City Music Hall will be my 8th. His shows are so entertaining- he goofs with his boys kind of like the old Rat Pack used to. I have met him a few times after shows- before it was easy, but now he is getting so big his fame is eclipsing what it used to be. It's harder to get to him now. I see what you mean about accents- well to me it's an accent! You should check out his two DVD's- the first one from the debut album is called 'Come Fly With Me' and this tour DVD is called 'Caught in The Act'- it was taped @ The Wiltern Theatre two nights (I was there both) for his PBS Special.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a Michael thread :) But, out of all the similar artists like him, to me, he clearly is at the top.

Hi, PADDY! I like Robbie Williams a great deal!! Unfortunately, he has been trying to break into the US market to no avail- did you see DeLovely? So good in that.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
He has another CD/DVD combo out that I thought you could only get off of PBS when I was watching a special concert of his on PBS. In December I found the CD/DVD at Costco. It's great! He is also scheduled to appear on Dancing with the Stars on Feb. 16th.

Last night I was at Hallmark Card Store. You can get a new Hallmark exclusive CD of Buble's for $7.95 if you buy 3 cards. With Valentines coming up, I was like, "Hey I need cards and I love Buble, so here I come!" The girl at the register was telling me that he's supposed to be in Dallas soon she heard, so I'm off to go find out more....
UPDATE: There's a concert in Forth Worth March 17th but I think they are sold out, as I can't seem to order but am on hold with ticketmaster as we speak.

I love Buble too and would love to meet the guy one day just to say thanks for bringing the old music back in the light. His voice is so unique to himself and is part of his charm I feel.

http://www.michaelbuble.com/

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I think k.d. lang has a more masculine voice than he does. His is just a little too soft and feminine for my taste. That website of his is a bit too slick and too well packaged, also. Ringtones?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to have a Buble ringtone. His music beats rap songs and many other modern stuff anyday. I love the one called: Buble Skat and "It's a New Ring". I may have to order these! Althought I found the one called "Getting Lucky" rather distasteful.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
When it comes to modern singers singing vintage songs I think Max Raabe (who sings with the Palast Orchester) tops my list for male singers. Not only does he have an incredible and unique voice, but his on-stage and off-stage personality is just what you would expect from a singer of the period. Seeing him live was just spectacular.

http://www.palastorchester.de/index2.php

For female singers I really like Carla Norman who sings with Don Neely's orchestra. There are times when she sounds exactly like a resurrected Helen Ward singing with Benny Goodman in the mid-to-late 30s.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Anyone here a Diana Krall fan?
She had a grand Christmas CD.

And a Canadian accent.

Surely we Can-eh-juns can't be held responsible for all the suppertime jazz in the world. Can we?

Salv

One Too Many
Harry Connick's "Blue Light, Red Light" from a few years back was an excellent swing album, but I haven't heard any of his recent stuff although "Forever For Now" from 2004 looks like it might be good.

Ray Gelato is a great live performer. He plays honking tenor sax and sings, and is influenced vocally by Louis Prima, and instrumentally by Sam Butera. So if you like that wild swinging style you just may like Gelato. Click on the "CDs & Music" link from his home page for some sound samples. His first band was The Chevalier Brothers who did mainly jump blues covers, especially Louis Jordan, but he has moved more into swing in recent years.

If you like the blues an eerily authentic singer and guitarist is Big Joe Louis. There's a QuickTime vdeo here. He's a snappy dresser too.

And I really like Madeleine Peyroux's last album "Careless Love" - she has more than a hint of Billie Holliday in her voice, and it's a lovely, gentle acoustic jazz album. Her version of Bob Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" is a gorgeous, melancholy song, one of my favourites from last year.

magneto

Practically Family
Salv said:
And I really like Madeleine Peyroux's last album "Careless Love" - she has more than a hint of Billie Holliday in her voice, and it's a lovely, gentle acoustic jazz album.

I love her voice too! Glad to see her getting some success ... got plenty of airplay round these parts.
Have not heard Michael Buble but will investigate. Anyone old enough to remember/like Harry Nilsson's disk o' standards (arranged by "Frank's" ballad arranger Gordon Jenkins)? The re-release, "As Time Goes By: The Complete Schmilsson in the Night" is said to be fabulous.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Peyroux's last album was a nice piece of work. I like her voice, though I think it is - like the female vocalist for Squirrell Nut Zippers was too - a little too beholden to Billie Holiday to be truly, authentically her own. Not that it isn't her own voice, just that her voice sounds like Billie Holiday's and when I hear it I think, "that sounds like Billie Holiday" rather than, "Now that is definitely Madeline Peyroux." The same goes for Buble and his Tony Bennet tones.

Anyway... wasn't Dance Me To the End of Love a great song? And it's by Leonard Cohen.... a Canadian. :cheers1:

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Vladimir Berkov said:
When it comes to modern singers singing vintage songs I think Max Raabe (who sings with the Palast Orchester) tops my list for male singers.
Oh wow, I just checked out the site and the music samples sound like they are from way back when. I think you've found a new fan in me. Is there a place here in Texas you can find their cds? I love it that the music is in German too! I looked at their tour schedule in hopes I might see a Texas stop, but there's not even a stop anywhere in the USA. Were you in Germany when you saw them? Which CD would you recommend to a newbie fan?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic