Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modernist architecture has failed us

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
From a review in the NY Sun:

In a new, wonderful collection of essays, "From a Cause to a Style" (Princeton, 310 pages, $27.95), Nathan Glazer asks why modernism failed: "How did a socially concerned architecture come to be condemned, 50 years later, as soulless, bureaucratic and inhuman?" It is a great question, and Mr. Glazer's analysis elegantly weaves aesthetics, political science, and intellectual history together to answer it.

The full review:

http://www.nysun.com/pf.php?id=49501

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I think that bad modern architecture has failed us. Or rather, bad modern architects and really bad city planners.

There have been some great modern architects. Then again, there have also been some modern architects that are called "great", but were in fact impractical and irresponsible. Frank Lloyd Wright used some awfully crappy materials to build his 'Mayan' houses here in Los Angeles, and they're falling apart. The roofs leak all the time, due to poorly designed drainage. And Brazil's internationally celebrated architect, Oscar Niemeyer, designed the center of an entirely new capital, Brasilia, without foreseeing what humidity does to poured concrete. (Huge blotchy black mold stains, anyone?)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The expansion to the Denver Art Museum is actually making some people dizzy and nauseated because of its bizarre angles.
20061203_024514_cd03dizzy1_300.jpg

The outside of the building is no better:

20061005_122402_Daring_1_300.jpg

Marc Chevalier said:
I think that bad modern architecture has failed us. Or rather, bad modern architects and really bad city planners.

There have been some great modern architects. Then again, there have also been some modern architects that are called "great", but were in fact impractical and irresponsible. Frank Lloyd Wright used some awfully crappy materials to build his 'Mayan' houses here in Los Angeles, and they're falling apart. The roofs leak all the time, due to poorly designed drainage. And Brazil's internationally celebrated architect, Oscar Niemeyer, designed the center of an entirely new capital, Brasilia, without foreseeing what humidity does to poured concrete. (Huge blotchy black mold stains, anyone?)

Interesting take---not far from the truth either. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It's the work of Daniel Libeskind.

It really does not match the rest of the art museum:

37.jpg

Here and there in Denver (and elsewhere, no doubt) there are beautiful old buildings with ugly 50s additions that have no reference to what they were added on to.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
architecture or builder

Some times you have to thing though, is it the architecture or the builder?? An architect can have designed a perfect dream, but if you have a crummy contractor and crummy materials, its gonna be a nightmare... (i.e. the finially opened Justice Center here in Vegas)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Looks like it is falling down. :p ;)

Regards,

J

There is a Libeskind carbuncle being attached to the museum here in Toronto. It was touted as a crystal canopy or some such when it was in the maquette stage an every one was cheering, but somewhere along the way it wound up looking like a blown over barn.

0705bc_romday.jpg

The addition was needed to create an atrium for shops and restaurants because of course a trip to the museum just isn't complete without a browse through Old Navy and a pile of New York Fries. [huh]

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Architects a la mode

Marc is right re FLW and I am his biggest fan. The design of the Guggenheim with the winding thing has not been ideal for looking at art. I believe the addition to the Gugg was done differently.

As for Liebeskind - nuff said he is ... well... over rated. He did the Jewish Memorial in Berlin and then has punted himself forward like Gehry with Bilbao.

He is like Norman Foster, Renzo Piano etc. They become the architects de moment based on one or two fabulous creations AND THEN YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE REST OF THEIR STUFF.

As an example THERE IS A GUY WHO WAS CUTTING EDGE IN MY SUBURB AND WAS POPULAR WITH THE COUNCIL. NOW THE WHOLE SUBURB IS FESTOONED WITH HIS STUFF.

jake_fink said:
There is a Libeskind carbuncle being attached to the museum here in Toronto. It was touted as a crystal canopy or some such when it was in the maquette stage an every one was cheering, but somewhere along the way it wound up looking like a blown over barn.

0705bc_romday.jpg

The addition was needed to create an atrium for shops and restaurants because of course a trip to the museum just isn't complete without a browse through Old Navy and a pile of New York Fries. [huh]

Looks like the original building has a cancerous growth or something. :eusa_doh:

Phil

A-List Customer
Paisley said:

This, ladies and gents. is known as Deconstructivism (or Decon, for short). Personally, I think it looks like someone threw together scrap metal.

As an architect (or at least one in progress), when I've drafted a building, it will look astounding. However, I've taken my plans to one of my friend's dad who is a contractor, he can say that'd look really nice with exact materials, but what the person is willing to buy and what the crew is able to do will often hinder the true beauty of the building.

In Mr. Wright's defense, he is probably more well known for his Usonian houses over here in the Chicagoland area. I think his attempts with his houses out there were more of an attempt towards a new horizon. But some of his works are rather overevaluated.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Phil said:
This, ladies and gents. is known as Deconstructivism (or Decon, for short). Personally, I think it looks like someone threw together scrap metal.

I cannot help thinking of the rat poison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner