Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modernist architecture has failed us

Mojito

One Too Many
cookie said:
He is like Norman Foster, Renzo Piano etc. They become the architects de moment based on one or two fabulous creations AND THEN YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE REST OF THEIR STUFF.

As an example THERE IS A GUY WHO WAS CUTTING EDGE IN MY SUBURB AND WAS POPULAR WITH THE COUNCIL. NOW THE WHOLE SUBURB IS FESTOONED WITH HIS STUFF.
I know the feeling, unfortunately :( We were astonished by some plans put up for a new house to be built nearby, as they were so utterly out of character with the neighbourhood. A young architect friend looked over the plans, and rolled her eyes. She knows the architect in question, says he does a lot of work locally, and *all* his buildings are cookie-cut without regards to any local aesthetics and landscape whatsoever. He has his one design, and he sticks to it.

I don't know if I agree with Prince Charles on many issues, but I was on the sidelines applauding when he launched his attack on Contemporary and recent architecture some years ago.

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
I haven't been around long enough to post images yet, & last time I tried to make a link, it sent everyone straight to 404 hell, but if you do a Google search you can see the painting that inspired the building that began this thread: Caspar David Friedrich's ghastly & unsettling The Wreck of the Hope, a 19th Century mezzotint of which used to hang in the guest room at the architect's grandmother's house, where it haunted his early dreams.

Actually, I made that up, but clearly, there was some sort of major trauma at a young age.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Frank Lloyd Wright used some awfully crappy materials The roofs leak all the time, due to poorly designed drainage.

Not as much as the basements.:eek:
Falling%20Water.jpg

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Mojito said:
I know the feeling, unfortunately :( We were astonished by some plans put up for a new house to be built nearby, as they were so utterly out of character with the neighbourhood. A young architect friend looked over the plans, and rolled her eyes. She knows the architect in question, says he does a lot of work locally, and *all* his buildings are cookie-cut without regards to any local aesthetics and landscape whatsoever. He has his one design, and he sticks to it.

I don't know if I agree with Prince Charles on many issues, but I was on the sidelines applauding when he launched his attack on Contemporary and recent architecture some years ago.

That's so characteristic of many high-profile architects. They're more interested in force-fitting (or, rather, inflicting) their "vision" onto others than harmonizing and attenuating to the environment where their building will be located. We have a name for this disorder. Its called arrogance.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Some modern art works well,but it's the horrible failures that people remember (and live with). Just last year the DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park reopened after being rebuilt ala MODERN ART... The original building was a kind of a mish mash of European and neo-classical styles that wasn't anything to get excited about,just a nice comfortable place to see some art. The new DeYoung looks like an airport control tower in the middle of a jungle. It's exterior is made of copper panels with a mesh texture that will eventually turn green. Some kind of 'nature' statement they say. Some kind of Planet of the Apes theme I think...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Modern architecture

I don't know about eras in architecture because it is a fluid art. The problem is the quality of the architecture schools that are producing these dropkicks. It is so bad that finding a decent house architect is a problem. Then they charge like wounded bulls and wonder why the local draughtsmen get all their work from punters that don't want to pay the dosh they ask.

I used an architect on my recent house renovation and that was a good idea as he got the proportions right. Cheap draughtsmen do not have such learnt skills. But then they start trying to touch you up (the architects) with a few "add-ons" that never appeared in the original convo/contract you had with them!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've thoroughly enjoyed all the comments about the Denver Art Museum. I can now laugh instead of groan every time I see it (that is, every day).

I don't dislike all modern buildings, though. I think the article mentioned in the first post made a good point: large scale modern architecture works better than small-scale. I like the concrete and glass high-rise where I work. Unlike older buildings, it has large areas of glass (including some glass ceilings). The only thing about most modern buildings I don't like is the climate control (or lack thereof).

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Not as much as the basements.:eek:
Falling%20Water.jpg

Hey, you know something? I wouldn't mind not one bit if there are leaks in the basement if I lived in that house.... in fact I wouldn't mind if the whole house leaked..... lol

C'mon. FallingWater is FallingWater ,right??? :D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Sharks?! It's a backwoods run in Pennsylvania. Maybe killer rabbits, but no sharks.

I've been there. Breathtaking and miraculous. That anyone could build anything so open to the elements and still have it there at all, and so singularly beautiful, is incredible.

Fletch said:
Sharks?! It's a backwoods run in Pennsylvania. Maybe killer rabbits, but no sharks.

I've been there. Breathtaking and miraculous. That anyone could build anything so open to the elements and still have it there at all, and so singularly beautiful, is incredible.

I didn't say there were. I just said that would ruin it---for me anyway.
Jaws in the backyard ain't working for me. Piranhas might ruin it for me too. :eek: :p

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran