Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modified William Lennon 78TC

Mil5419

New in Town
Wow - that's a whole lot of Lennons!

It looks from the picture that the Tan derbys second from left get the most wear. That would maybe be my next pair, but I'm really tempted to get the hobnails, but get the Vibram sole so I could actually wear them every day. (Would I still be able to refer to them as Hobnails???)

I'm 2 months in owning mine and they are really looking beautiful. I'm going to struggle to keep the white stitching white though!

oxfordgrant

New in Town
Actually, the black chromexcel boots get the most wear- they are aging really well and are developing a lovely patina, with a deep brown starting to show through in places as they age(two and half years old).

rotate

New in Town
Thanks esteban68!, it was actually your blog that started me on the journey of William Lennon discovery at the end of last year. I loved the look of your boots so much I used them as inspiration for mine! They look beautiful and have aged really well

And my thanks to esteban68! as well for his blog and Mil5419 for high lighting it and posting his own photos and info here. Like Mil5419 this is my first post, unlike him I am probably a few decades older, although none the wiser than I was in my first couple, so kindly be gentle with me.

And now to the point of my seeking to resurrect this fascinating thread about William Lennon products, I want a pair and have a couple of questions that WL wearers may be able to answer.

Sizing, I'm comfortable in a size UK 10 1/2 G wide fitting shoes and would like opinions on how the, no half size, WL sizing compares to wearers own shoe size, sloppy tight or otherwise?

Soles, I've never tried 'Vibram' soles and would like to know what they are like on wet rock and in frozen/iced up conditions, better than 'Itshide' commando soles or worse?

Repairs, while WL boots look as if they will outlast me and pass on to the next generation I'm sure that the soles will eventually require replacement, how are WL on repair turnaround times?

Questioning over, and my thanks in anticipation for any answers that might be forthcoming.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Soles, I've never tried 'Vibram' soles and would like to know what they are like on wet rock and in frozen/iced up conditions, better than 'Itshide' commando soles or worse?

Vitale Bramani pioneered the Vibram sole especially for such conditions, so you should be ok.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
rotate,
I'm a 10 1/2 UK and have a pair of 107F's, I went to the factory and tried on boots and decided on a 10, which fit OK but there is no extra room, I'm not sure what width foot I have but I think they do not seem wide to me, for work I usually wear Loake and Trickers brogues in 10 1/2's, the vibram soles are as good as anything I've ever had in slippery conditions, I would give them a ring and see what they recommend, they are very helpful !
I hope this helps!

D

oxfordgrant

New in Town
These look great. What's the stroy behind the two-tone pair? What's the spec on those?

Thanks- the toe/vamp/counters are burgundy zug while the rest of the upper and tongue are waxed berry suede(although cleaning with a suede brush has removed the waxed effect so they now just look like suede). Triple leather sole and heel with vibram half sole and heel cap. I also like the rivets from the WW1 boots for a bit of industrial bling(!)

I also had the boots lined, including the tongue. Whilst I would recommend getting them lined for an extra £10 or so, I wouldn't have the tongue lined again as my foot is very wide across the top/metatarsal area and they are not as comfortable around the tongue as my other Lennons without a lined tongue

Mil5419

New in Town
So after a particularly rainy day yesterday I had to take the plunge and give my Lennons their first real clean and polish. As I suspected the white stitching isnt going to stay very white for long, but I knew that when I specified them for the build. I actually really like the way they are weathering in with the leather.

These are now my daily wear and are getting more comfortable by the day. I'm so tempted to get myself another pair - perhaps in the derby or hobnail style, so I can rotate them of course!

95ce0d067f9aaeb99c85e8cdc2291ef0.jpg boots 2.jpg boots3.jpg

rotate

New in Town
Thanks for your answers cordwangler and Davy Crockett, I'll give WL's a call and see if they have any suggestions about sizing, visiting WL's is not an option at present as I'm far from Derbyshire with work commitments in Cyprus and the Lebanon up until next year.
The WL's look a great alternative to the four pairs of new old stock surplus 1940's/50's all leather British service boots that I've literally worn into the ground over the last forty odd years. As for product type choice I'm inclined toward the 107F Field Boot with its lower cut height which will be more comfortable for mountain trail hiking in hot weather and enabling the wearing of Anklets for protection, however the lack of a toe box causes some concern as the old Army boot toe box afforded some toe protection. Decisions! All so easy before, make a pair from the pile of boots at the back of the junk/surplus Emporium, empty out the dust and remains of long dead cockroaches pay two or three quid and I was set for another ten years or so.

Last edited:

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
rotate,
I have a pair of 107F's and believe me the toe is extremely solid, unless you are in a position where a forklift truck is likely to run over your toes!! I think you will find it offers all the protection you are likely to need.

D

rotate

New in Town
rotate,
I have a pair of 107F's and believe me the toe is extremely solid, unless you are in a position where a forklift truck is likely to run over your toes!! I think you will find it offers all the protection you are likely to need.

D
At work there's all sorts of heavy stuff including aircraft whizzing about, these boots however will be purely for pleasure so hopefully no danger from forklift trucks. Many thanks for the info, and the reassuring first hand owner knowledge, I'm much obliged to you Davy Crockett

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
Mil5419, can you give us an update on the boots? My boots are almost finished, but as they haven't arrived yet, I'm consoling myself by looking through old William Lennon boot posts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner