• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Mom's World

Discussion in 'The Home Front Woman' started by certainlyred, Jan 24, 2008.

1. I don't know if anyone else follows flickr.com photo sets, but I found this one two days ago and derived endless inspiration from it: http://flickr.com/photos/joeyharrison/sets/1071542/

It's a set of photos taken by a woman during the late 40's and early 50's. Some of the everyday shots are fantastic! Not to mention the commentary provided with each and every photo. It's a great "snapshot" (pardon my pun...) of daily life in the good old days.

2. MaryDeluxe

MaryDeluxe Practically Family

I LOVE the pictures he posts regarding his Mother! What a very cool lady she is and she tells the best stories about her pictures. She has lead a very interesting life. I have always enjoyed reading her stories! :)

3. leaette

leaette A-List Customer

wow! what a fantastic find. lucky for that guy to have such a priceless set of pictures.
    i wish i had something like that for my family.

4. I know...it inspires me to keep taking photos, even if I feel like they're boring or mundane. Maybe someday my grandkids will look at them and say, "wow, grandma was so glamorous!"

5. I just discovered this flickr set a few days ago and I amazed at her memory! The shots are fantastic and I love that the son is putting this all together.

6. kamikat

kamikat Call Me a Cab

Thanks for sharing the link. It's amazing! I love the pic of them sitting at the table doing their taxes. You see mom wearing a pony tail and bobby socks with loafers. It shows that not everyone wore high heels and perfectly coifed hair every day.

7. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Wow. This is simply wonderful. I love all the details she shares - and yes, what an amazing memory.

Thanks for sharing!

8. ohairas

ohairas Call Me a Cab

This is one of the most awesome "vintage" finds ever! Thank you Certainlyred!!
    I'm burning my eyes out devouring the pics! And the mother still posts, as "Chalet". Incredible.

Now I don't feel so bad about being camera crazy. I take pics of everything and my husband makes fun of me!

I couldn't believe they even had Joey's circumcision, lol! :eek:
    Her stories are wonderful. Did you all read about their wedding night? ;)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeyharrison/378088038/in/set-1071542/
    I bet she never knew she'd be able to share her life with so many people. How amazing.
    Nikki

9. pennycarrol

pennycarrol A-List Customer

Those photos are amazing!!!! Can you believe that lisptick was worn at the beach!! It's incredible!!

10. nyx

nyx One of the Regulars

The photos were fantastic and his mother was so pretty! But can I say, that I'm not even a boy and that circumcision shot gave me the heebie jeebies :eek:

11. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

12. Thanks so much for sharing your find! This definitely made my day. :)

13. rachw182

rachw182 New in Town

WOW!!

I just found this link and it is amazing!

Thank you so much for posting this!!

14. Thank you for bumping this thread! I just added the link to my favorites. It's wonderful!

15. Helysoune

Helysoune One of the Regulars

I had a great time going through this last night. Thanks so much for sharing! I hope to get through the rest later today, after work (I'm a radio DJ) and after all the housewifely duties are done. I giggled too at the, "Appropriate events ensued," line. In fact, it made me smile again this morning. lol

The work they did on that apartment building was wonderful, too! The stairway turned out so lovely, and all the built-ins... *sigh*

16. Wow, thank you for post this link - what a great insight and documentation of life.

I'm really enjoying this and could spend all day browsing the photos and reading!!

17. Lillemor

Lillemor One Too Many

It is unusual documentary and not everyone from the same period would've been able to do the same because many people simply didn't have their photos taken often enough. I've seen plenty of "casual" family albums where the photos pre-60s were very staged and formal and you wonder what the people were really like.

18. This is great, only one problem - not fair for you ladies to keep these to yourseles in the Powder Room!

Interesting, these pics were taken mostly in/around Grand Rapids, MI. It's rare to see old photos of Michigan taken outside Detroit. I wonder where the "Southern Barbeque Nightclub" was located.

-Dave

19. Some pretty remarkable photos, and what a doll, she was very beautiful.

20. Miss Dottie

Miss Dottie Practically Family

Ah--this just made my day. What a wondeful way to spend a lunch hour--reading his descriptions. Wonderful!