Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monocles.

Edward

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Call the police! Prof. Moore's wearing a notch lapel tuxedo jacket! ;)

I don't think that is a DJ - looks like a regular grey suitcoat to me? The bow tie looks like a pre-tied convection to me, though....

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
eyebrow.jpg

Edward said:
I don't think that is a DJ - looks like a regular grey suitcoat to me?

It has black satin lapels, so it probably is a DJ ... unless it's one of those old and rare, satin-lapelled 'evening wear overcoats' which haven't been in fashion since King George V. (See photo below.)

259339717_o.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...80193/Monocles-to-be-sold-on-high-street.html

Vision Express, a chain of opticians, is to start selling the lenses after an unexpected spate of requests for monocles. It believes most of the requests have come from young men wanting to ape the fashion of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers. The eyepieces cost £50 and come with a metal frame, a pouch, and a string so the wearer ensures it stays around his or her neck if it slips.

Fearless_Leader_300.gif

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am delighted to see the monocle return, but we all know it was those rascals in "The Chap" who pretended to be members of the general public and staged a series of "unconnected" requests.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:

"I’m not convinced that a monocle is going to clinch the deal at a job interview, but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a conversation starter.”
:eusa_clap

I spoke to a friend who wanted one, he only has bad eyesight in one eye, but he said they don't do them on the NHS any more. So you just have to have glasses with one non-prescription lens.

I wonder if anywhere still make new functional monocles?

Story

I'll Lock Up
Ethan Bentley said:
:eusa_clap

I spoke to a friend who wanted one, he only has bad eyesight in one eye, but he said they don't do them on the NHS any more. So you just have to have glasses with one non-prescription lens.

I wonder if anywhere still make new functional monocles?

Simple solution.

dremel_17_big.jpg

Dr Doran

Pourquoi un(e) monocle, mon oncle? Parce-que c'est chouette.

Fedora Loungers at Secret Society in Portland a few days after Christmas.

Photos courtesy of Miss Melly.

moi-meme:
MonocleTim.jpg

Chucklehead:
MonocleCliff.jpg

Brooksie:
MonocleLisa.jpg

Anon`:
MonocleJustin.jpg

MonocleTrio.jpg

Tiller

Practically Family

Dr Doran

Tiller said:
Hmmm interesting. A second article about the rising young vintage crowd that I have seen in the past few weeks, and this one from the UK none the less! Very interesting considering most people thought that the young fogeys were a dead breed.

With that said I've had no interest in eye wear since I have 20-20 vision. Maybe I should take more interest in it now though lol.

F.R.F. =
FOGEY REVIVAL FRONT.
A new politico-aesthetic party.

Dr Doran

Only a small band of brave men and women stands between the world as we know it and the unutterable evil of the Great Old Ones, whose minions plot the return and rule of their mighty lord, Great Cthulhu.

filfoster

One Too Many
Monicle moniker

I have one that I haven't had my prescription put into yet. It is surprisingly comfortable to wear. I prefer my pince nez, however, (two pairs, one with the lanyard ring and one without, both 'bifocal') for most occasions where I need to see and still want to have some fun with eyewear. I got all mine from a Civil War re-enactor optician, Gregg Crockett, in Maryland, who has limited online contact info at http://ivydiv_mp.tripod.com/spectacleaccoutrements/index.html

Seriously, a monocle isn't ever going to be practical at a big company office unless you're the CEO or a close relative. Sales job? Forget it unless you're a carny barker or hawker for a tatoo parlor.

filfoster

One Too Many
Meeeester Beeeeg

Story said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...80193/Monocles-to-be-sold-on-high-street.html

Vision Express, a chain of opticians, is to start selling the lenses after an unexpected spate of requests for monocles. It believes most of the requests have come from young men wanting to ape the fashion of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers. The eyepieces cost £50 and come with a metal frame, a pouch, and a string so the wearer ensures it stays around his or her neck if it slips.

Fearless_Leader_300.gif

Yes, one of the more famous monocle wearers from my youth. 'Mister Big': the cartoon Erich von Stroheim. Somewhere, he's still plotting against Moose and Skvirrel

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I recently purchased a monocle from ebay. It has 5x magnification as I intend to use it for when I attend the Fountain Pen club with Shangas, and other such events.

Normally for reading I use glasses (as found at pharmacies etc.) with +1 magnification, and these are available in a monocle form on ebay. I haven't bought one of these as I don't think it is that practical for everyday use, then again ... I want one!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
What ho, Mikey!

I shan't be at the August Meeting of the Pen Club. But I will be available for the October meeting, and the Pen Show in November. I hope to see you and your monocle soon!! :)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Normally for reading I use glasses (as found at pharmacies etc.) with +1 magnification, and these are available in a monocle form on ebay. I haven't bought one of these as I don't think it is that practical for everyday use, then again ... I want one!

Some people get laser correction in one eye (monovision) so they have near sight in one eye and far sight in the other. This is exactly the same as a monocle and you can't take it off.

I usually only wear mine for short periods, less than an hour. Longer than that I wear my glasses. I recently got a new, stronger prescription and am still getting used to it, it's a bigger adjustment with a monocle than spectacles, I've found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass