Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montecristi Panama hats. Is this true?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Fervent hope that by making Montecristis available, we can help to keep this art form alive ? Is this art forum dying.?

The weaving of straw hats has been practiced and perfected for over 400 years in the villages surrounding Montecristi, Ecuador. Yet today, there is a real danger that this art form will soon cease to exist.

Long the subject of myth and legend, these incredibly beautiful yet entirely practical hats have graced more heads of state and celebrities than any other type of straw hat. from harvesting the raw plants (paja toquilla) to shaping the finished product, the supremely dedicated master weavers (tejedores) employ the most exacting and laborious hand processes to weave the perfect blend of nature and art in a glorious marriage which results in hats of transcendent quality. When one feels a Montecristi, its texture is so fine and supple, one cannot help but be astonished that they are woven by hand.

Today the lure of others, less demanding crafts has caused the number of master weavers to dwindle and most have entered their later years. It is our fervent hope that by making Montecristis available, we can help to keep this art form alive. Toward this end, we travel to Montecristi several

times a year and work very closely with the weavers, commissioning new works and
selecting the very best hats for our clients. In this way we endeavor to encourage the
masters to pass along the tradition to the next generation as their forefathers have
done for centuries.
Regards,

Sharpey

Gee, I hope they do not become an extinct product. :eek: They are far better than the cheaper junk paper "straw hats." Those things are just too damned stiff for me. If I wanted that I would buy another bowler or two. It is not like they are becoming outmoded by another product like the buggy whips or something. :p
The idea of making them more widely known and the quality understood is probably a great idea. Keep encouraging the master to teach their craft.

Regards to all,

J

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
With trepidation....I'll write.

There are many weavers left. They do a pretty good job. However, there aren't a whole lot who do the finest hats. We try to keep the hats low priced and buy as many as we can of all qualities to keep them practicing weaving so as naturally to get better.

What really pisses me off, and yes, I said pisses, is that we have some of these lovely gentleman, and perhaps you are reading this right now You Know Who, who tells people he pays the guys $$$$$ when he only pays $$$. This man, Mr. E, the weaver, is perhaps the best weaver in Montecristi. He said he can't sell us hats anymore because Mr. ?? has contracted him. This guy takes 3 months to weave a hat and he gets a lousy cut, believe me, his house is crap, and this egomaniac hat blocker gets fat and sassy all the while telling people that the weaver is among or soon will be among the richest in that area of Ecuador. Total BS.

I hate Greed!

So now, here is one of the best weavers in the area, living in a dirt floored house mind you, being told about in private emails to worthy individuals as having hats worth $25,000 or so, who will only be able to sell his wares on one very small island for an unbelievably highly marked up price. When we, or other simple people, could easily sell his hats for less than a thousand dollars and personally send family to take him necessities, not act like a demi-god or Santa Claus a few times a year.

Off soap box.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I've noticed a proliferation of cheap Panamas on eBay Germany recently- similar but not entirely the same as the one I bought recently-
123Panama.gif

This one for instance- which is a good representation of the one I bought and modified to a C-crown- same pressed-in centre dent on this one.
They seem to have about a 5" crown and 3" brim, cotton band and sewn edge and available in the full range of sizes. OK but a bit cheap and nasty-
They sometimes go for less than 10 Euros.
'Cuenca-esque' but not as nice as PanamaBob's ones.
I guess it all goes to increasing exposure and interest in the style though.

B
T

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
A noodle hat

A Cuenca Hat before I knew better.

I wore one a couple years ago and got caught in a rain storm. The hat just fell apart. It looked like noodles.They are cheaply made and if I have a choice of a Cuenca or a Montecristi I'd rather buy a cheaper Montecristi than a Cuenca.{ Price being a issue}

So if you buy a Cuenca carry a little plastic bag with you. This is a no BS,

Roger

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Really?

What's that? I'll not have you deriding my 'Cuenca el Cheapo Speciale'.

I actually used water to form the hat. Seems pretty sturdy but at the same time, soft and pliable and able to hold it's shape. I think there's probably some definite advantages in the looser, coarser weave, as far as ease of shaping and forming is concerned- you can stretch and form the hat, which is what you need to be able to do to achieve compound curves. Stretching the outside edge of the back of the brim gives you that kick-up at the back- the opposite on the front gives the downward curve. As I mentioned, it's easy enough to form it with wetting, steaming and shrinking via the hairdryer to 'set' the shape in. When I received it in the post, it was squashed into a tiny box- no problem, I probably did what I would have if it wasn't scrunched up- ironing and water/steam forming and more ironing.
I'm not shy of playing with hats- only a little common sense and knowing what you want is required.
I'm actually liking the coarseness and looseness- it makes me think of Panama hats.
It's not really much of an investment and looks a lot more than it cost.
If I could get a Monte' here, for what you Stateside guys can, then I probably would. I don't think anyone could really complain for around $15 including shipping. I know it's a cheap hat but I'm singing its virtues as just that- it's better than I thought, its stylish and keeps the sun off my head.

It seems to me that Monte's and Cuencas are a different breed of the same animal- one finer than the other- theyre both nice hats.

I don't intend wearing it in the rain, it's only for sunny days and trips to Spain.

B
T

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
It has been my experience that the more bleached out the Cuenca is, the more it becomes mushy or like pasta when wet.

There are Cuencas with sulphur fume bleaching and llano weave that are comparable to Montecristis in look, feel, but still cost a boatload less.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
No, no worries. Ecuador has had 6 presidents in the past 10 years. The roads will shut down for a week or two, the mail will be extra slow, but ultimately nothing will really happen to the daily life.

Of course, I'll get hundreds of emails complaining about the delays, a percentage will never buy a hat again, and ultimately, the only people who lose are the poor people in Ecuador.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
With trepidation....I'll write.

There are many weavers left. They do a pretty good job. However, there aren't a whole lot who do the finest hats. We try to keep the hats low priced and buy as many as we can of all qualities to keep them practicing weaving so as naturally to get better.

What really pisses me off, and yes, I said pisses, is that we have some of these lovely gentleman, and perhaps you are reading this right now You Know Who, who tells people he pays the guys $$$$$ when he only pays $$$. This man, Mr. E, the weaver, is perhaps the best weaver in Montecristi. He said he can't sell us hats anymore because Mr. ?? has contracted him. This guy takes 3 months to weave a hat and he gets a lousy cut, believe me, his house is crap, and this egomaniac hat blocker gets fat and sassy all the while telling people that the weaver is among or soon will be among the richest in that area of Ecuador. Total BS.

I hate Greed!

So now, here is one of the best weavers in the area, living in a dirt floored house mind you, being told about in private emails to worthy individuals as having hats worth $25,000 or so, who will only be able to sell his wares on one very small island for an unbelievably highly marked up price. When we, or other simple people, could easily sell his hats for less than a thousand dollars and personally send family to take him necessities, not act like a demi-god or Santa Claus a few times a year.

Off soap box.

Its sad when Money rules people's heart. They miss the greatest gift. Helping others. I really wonder if they sleep well at night? :drum: Most do I guess since they don't listen to there conscience.

Just my take on Greed!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy