Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monty Python Sergeant Major Sketch

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I was going to post this sketch from the Monty Python team on my thread about the Woolly Pully (commando sweater): you will see from it why I am such an aficionado of this item of clothing. However I thought it deserved a thread in its own right because it's so good - and so true (if just slightly exaggerated) for anyone who has experienced this type of parade. It should be enjoyed by those of you who like British humour (humor to Americans of course) or have military experience/interests.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

Gentlemen,
I posted this brilliant clip on 'The Golden Era' but got no response - I think it more properly belongs here because although it is not WWII, many of the traditions/attitudes will be recognisable from that time.

Some of you might know it already, but it's a must for anyone who likes British humo(u)r and/or has military interests.

One of my favourites.

And while not "pc", there is a skit from the original show showing some, ahem, unique drilling...

"SQUAD! Camp it... UP"!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
One of my favourites.

And while not "pc", there is a skit from the original show showing some, ahem, unique drilling...

"SQUAD! Camp it... UP"!
Yes, this is one of my favourite sketches. I nearly posted it on the thread I started on the Woolly Pully commando sweater because it's easy to see from this why I like wearing them. The camp sketch is marvellous too but as you say un-PC. It was made during the interlude between old-fashioned censorship and political correctness!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
No body, but no body, will ever beat these guys in the silly march department! Or facial hair.
It's marvellous. The Pakistan Army doesn't get enough credit. It's up against ruthless fundamentalists and does very well considering: it has also maintained many of the better traditions of the British Army and, sensibly, remained all-male and so no pc stuff. The facial hair is, as you say unbeatable, as is the 'Ministry of Silly Walks'-imposed marching.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It's marvellous. The Pakistan Army doesn't get enough credit. It's up against ruthless fundamentalists and does very well considering: it has also maintained many of the better traditions of the British Army and, sensibly, remained all-male and so no pc stuff. The facial hair is, as you say unbeatable, as is the 'Ministry of Silly Walks'-imposed marching.
As much as we joke about this ceremony, it is far nicer then the alternative, two country's launching nuclear tipped missiles at each other!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
As much as we joke about this ceremony, it is far nicer then the alternative, two country's launching nuclear tipped missiles at each other!
At least they are still 'real' armies. I agree with you that the silly walks best nuclear confrontation - and conventional war - any day. The arms race between the two countries is a tragic waste of resources and ultimately, I suppose, a legacy of Partition and the chaos surrounding it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
At least they are still 'real' armies. I agree with you that the silly walks best nuclear confrontation - and conventional war - any day. The arms race between the two countries is a tragic waste of resources and ultimately, I suppose, a legacy of Partition and the chaos surrounding it.
Neither army has fought a major war in a long time. Military strength based on conventional power, India does come out as number 4, Pakistan 11th. Of course number one on every list hands down, is the one you belittle. Then again, we spend more then the top seven countries combined! Not necessarily a big honer.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Neither army has fought a major war in a long time. Military strength based on conventional power, India does come out as number 4, Pakistan 11th. Of course number one on every list hands down, is the one you belittle. Then again, we spend more then the top seven countries combined! Not necessarily a big honer.
I'm a bit confused by this as you seem to be reproaching me for belittling someone or something: that's not something I usually do and so I'd really like to know what you mean so that I can either apologise or explain (or possibly both?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy