Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morgan vs. Peters

bashfulbrother

New in Town
I am new to this forum but have been a fedora and hat aficionado for years.
Especially the late 30's through the early 50's.
I have recently got the bug to add a "raiders" fedora to my collection and I am considering either an Akubra Adventurer or a Peters Bros. Indy.
I just want to get some feedback about the hats and their pluses and minuses.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, I can't comment on Peter Bro's felt quality, and from everything I have heard, they are top notch in terms of felt. But every Peter Bro's Indy hat I've seen has a ribbon which is not quite dark enough and in some pictures shows up having a purple undertone. That always took away from the overall "Indy" look, for me anyways. But as I said, I've heard nothing but good things about the build quality, my gripe is aesthetic.

Have you also considered the Akubra Fed IV from Hatsdirect.com? That's their exclusive blockshape, from a vintage Akubra block chosen because of its closeness to the Indy IV hat.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Well, I can't comment on Peter Bro's felt quality, and from everything I have heard, they are top notch in terms of felt. But every Peter Bro's Indy hat I've seen has a ribbon which is not quite dark enough and in some pictures shows up having a purple undertone. That always took away from the overall "Indy" look, for me anyways. But as I said, I've heard nothing but good things about the build quality, my gripe is aesthetic.

Have you also considered the Akubra Fed IV from Hatsdirect.com? That's their exclusive blockshape, from a vintage Akubra block chosen because of its closeness to the Indy IV hat.
:arated: Yep, what jlee562 said.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Personally I'm not interested in the Indiana Jones thing, but if I wanted an Indy hat at relatively low cost I'd get a Fed IV for sure.

A little more to spend? The Delux version or maybe an Adventurebilt Henry from Penman Hats.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Here's my Peter's Bros
28974238.jpg

bashfulbrother

New in Town
Well I found this site by buying a Fed IV from a member.
I bashed the hat differently than their indy because I am kind of
a big guy. The brim looks a little small on me.
I am just kind of curious about the Morgan and the Peters as both
of them are at least 3 inch brims and on the Peters you can actually
custom order.
The only problem is that there is a dearth of information on these hatters
available on line.
I may just say forget it, and buy a Magnoli.

Raider

One of the Regulars
My avatar is a Peters Bros Indy (Raiders). Got it in March. Love it. I have a grey one on the way and they are re-working a black western for me.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well I found this site by buying a Fed IV from a member.
I bashed the hat differently than their indy because I am kind of
a big guy. The brim looks a little small on me.
I am just kind of curious about the Morgan and the Peters as both
of them are at least 3 inch brims and on the Peters you can actually
custom order.
The only problem is that there is a dearth of information on these hatters
available on line.
I may just say forget it, and buy a Magnoli.

Magnoli is discontinuing their HJs and he only has a few bodies left in stock.

If you want a custom Indy lid, I suggest John Penman of Penman Hats or Garrison Hatters. Penman will do any Indy style to your specs, Garrison specializes in the Raiders hat.

bashfulbrother

New in Town
Many thanks to all of you. I appreciate your help.
Raider-What size brim did you order? I am thinking a 3.25 front and sides; 2.75 sides; with a 5.5 in crown.

bashfulbrother

New in Town
Has anybody done business with MovieShop.com?

Jlee562 do you have a contact number for Garrison Hatters?
I would like to find out the dimensions of his hat.

Last edited:

ryanc

Familiar Face
ya raider it does look good. i live in fort worth too and have been going to peters bros for a long time. ive come to realize tho they need more help in there than that one guy they have working for him lol wich i know it takes a while but i was having a hat mad back in march early this year and called 4 months later they hadnt started on it hahah well regardless i just traded out and got the grey indyl i love the hat. but i went ahead and had them trim the brim down a little. im not use to how wide the brim is on those indys since ive never owned one. but with the brim cut shorter with the tall crown it looks amazing. im not knocking on them cause i still will always use them. i mean there really the only good hat shop in north texas and one of the oldest in the country. thinked they opened in 1911 or 12 right? anywho i do suggest them as a good shop to buy from them, but if anyone orders something custom check on it often!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum