Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Memorable Scenes

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
It's a cold summer night. You had waited for weeks to see it in the theater. You didn't want to wait any longer. You had to see it opening night. The line at the box office stretched to the next block, but you didn't care. You had a seat with your name on it. As you walked up to the ticket booth, you calmly said, "I'd like one adult for It's A Wonderful Life". The ticket operator looks at you with a smile, but it turns to a frown. "I'm sorry sir, but we're sold out". Your heart beat drops. All that eagerness, shattered by two words. "Sold out" you repeat, "sold out". You thank the ticket operator and walk away, with your head down. As you walk towards the parking lot, an idea strikes your mind. A lightbulb just lit above you. You turn around to see if anyone is watching you. Quietly you make your way to the back door of the theater. Carefully you turn the knob. It's unlocked! Quietly you open the door and slip inside.

It's dark, but your friend had worked here for 3 years. He gave you that tour, you know the theater like the back of your hand. The only thought that is in your mind is to see that movie, no matter how. As you make your way down the dark hallway, you see the stairs leading to the projection booth. "Almost there", you whisper. Suddenly you hear a sound. Someone's coming down the stairs! Quickly you hide underneath the staircase, as not to be seem. The projectionist is making their way down, whistling as they walk. In the shadows you see them walk by as they turn the corner.

Cautiously you peak your head out and look left and right. No one is in sight. Up the staircase you go. It seems as though they are stretching forever. You have to make it up that mountain. The door to the projection booth is open a crack. You slip inside. The film reels are quietly spinning around the equipment, clicking sounds coming from every turn. There's something mystical about the booth. The theater was built in the late century. How many films were shown here, you didn't know. Projectionists from time gone by had sat in this very room. You see a small space in the corner. Just the spot you can sit by and watch through the window. Without being seen, of course.

You hear the projectionist making their way back up the stairs, still whistling. Cover yourself with something! A tarp in the corner will do the trick. Over your body it goes. Out of sight, out of mind. She'll never find you. As she walks in, she sits down in her little chair, and starts the projector. "This is it!" you whisper. "You're going to see it". The film begins, and your eyes are glued to the silver screen. There's an even greater experience when you're in the booth. High above the audience, you overlook every thing. A cinematic kingdom called the theater. Where movie stars rule the land.

The projectionist never did find you, or knew you were there. The film kept you quiet until the end. The whole night was just full of wonder. You told your kids the story, you told your grandkids the story. But the night itself wasn't the most memorable. No. It was that one scene, it almost had you on your feet. It had you crying, it had you cheering, it had you laughing, shrieking. It was glued into your mind forever. Everytime you saw that film after, you found yourself just watching the movie to see that one scene. On your television it is memorable, but when you saw it in the theater, it was magical.

So what's your most memorable scene(s)?

Here's one of mine. :)

Shawshank Redemption

Naphtali

Practically Family
The final stud scene of "The Cincinnati Kid," where McQueen and Robinson have their showdown, with all of the kibitzers doing their thing -- I saw a similar showdown many years ago. I was struck by how real the emotions portrayed were among the actors.
In the one I witnessed -- the Colony Inn in Clayton, Missouri, about 1964, five card draw -- I'll use their nicknames of the time. Wolfman was, in my opinion the luckiest human being alive to that date. The Tumor was his nickname, a truly vile human being. They, too, sat across the poker table from one another.

Wolfman: Whaddayah got?

The Tumor (drawing the word out to several seconds): Boat (meaning full house).

The Wolfman leaned deeply into the table and looked intently at the Tumor for perhaps five seconds without saying a word.

Wolfman: How high?

The Tumor: Nines.

The Wolfman slowly smiled, the smile not reaching his eyes.

Wolfman: Not. High. Enough.

A memorable scene, repeated on film soon after. I get a rush every time I see the movie.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
The opening of The Hudsucker Proxy. The camera glides over vintage NYC, lovely music is playing a smooth voice introduces the situation and then the titles.
I don't want say too much because I want people to experience it for themselves.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Well, many memorable scenes from the Golden Era movies, but for a brief change I'll mention these two from the late seventies.

1) "The Last Tycoon" (1976)

That incredible scene in Scott Fitzgerald's movie about Hollywood: "......a small earthquake has damaged the lot of a movie studio, flooding gives a dream like quality to everything, and Monroe Stahr, the tycoon of the title, is mesmerized by the surreal image: on top of a huge head of the Goddess Siva, are two women floating down the current of an impromptu river...."
I'll never forget that image!!!

2) "Apocalypse Now" (1979)

"..... the drugged, drunken, and disturbing opening scene of Willard (Martin Sheen) having a nervous breakdown in his hotel room...."
Also Marlon Brando, he was amazing and horrible at the same time in that unsettling movie.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
Well, many memorable scenes from the Golden Era movies, but for a brief change I'll mention these two from the late seventies.
2) "Apocalypse Now" (1979)

"..... the drugged, drunken, and disturbing opening scene of Willard (Martin Sheen) having a nervous breakdown in his hotel room...."

That's just typical Airborne, when leave is nearing an end. :)

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
I can't say exactly why, but one of my favorite scenes--no more than a few shots, really--is in The Maltese Falcon, when, because of a glitch in the hand-off of something or other, and because no one in the movie trusts anyone else out of eyesight, all the main characters end up spending a long, quiet night in Sam Spade's old-ladyish living room waiting for daybreak. It's complete stasis: no one says anything, somebody naps, Gutman reads a book, Brigid makes some coffee, and all the while, under what looks on the surface like cozy domesticity, everyone is still silently scheming against everybody else. Finally, the day dawns, Gutman turns off the lamp, the magic spell is broken & things swing back into action. Anyway, I don't know what it is, but I love that whole sequence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran