Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Useful Pocket Setup ?

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
On a button up semi-long leather jacket (i.e. Stockman,Teamster,Work Coat,etc)? Which would provide the most utility and best looks?

Patch (Stockman)
Flap (Cheyenne)
Flap/Handwarmer (Long Halfbelt)
Corded Flap/Handwarmer ( Halfbelt Deluxe)

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I had my Stockman made with the pockets from the Long Halfbelt, I'd seen jackets like it in the old catalogues somewhere on this site thought they looked good and I'm very pleased with them!
D

zebedee

One Too Many
I got the standard patch pockets on my Stockman- flap pockets might have been better in hindsight, but it's not a huge issue.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
My guess is the patch pocket was too narrow a space? If only it was made with an pleat/fold of leather to give it more room.

Davy- do you have a photo by chance?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am particularly partial to the two lower patch pockets on the Mulligan that tuck in but am not fond of their chest pocket. I am also partial to the look and functionality of the patch pockets on the Stockman.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I rarely use pockets on a jacket. Maybe just the inside pocket or chest pocket for a phone. I really dislike the look of cargo pockets and pocket flaps so I'd also go for neat looking hand warmers only. Like Dude suggested.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Has to be A-2 cargo pockets with handwarmers. I've owned several jackets with zip pockets and I must have only unzipped them once to look inside/test the zipper! An internal pocket is functional too, albeit with lighter leathers. No question though that zip pockets can make a jacket look the part.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I rarely use pockets on a jacket. Maybe just the inside pocket or chest pocket for a phone. I really dislike the look of cargo pockets and pocket flaps so I'd also go for neat looking hand warmers only. Like Dude suggested.
Yeah I mostly just use the interior wallet/chest pockets in my jackets.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I use pockets on my jackets all the time ... from hands to phones to keys to junk :)

I never use chest pockets .... for me they're about as much use as an ashtray on a bike ... as such I have often dispensed with it on custom jackets !

While I love the flap and hand warmer design on my LHB, HBD and Drifter jackets ... doubling them up just makes it all a bit bulky though having them there is reassuring.

The idea for me is two inside pockets ( to put phone wallet etc. in ) and to hand warmer pockets for my er ... hands :)
The linings don't overlap, the lines of the jacket aren't spoiled and it just feels right.

On a longer jacket ( VDR or Lavant or Barnstormer ) the flap pockets work just fine as the horizontal angle works well for stuffing your hands in :)

I'm also most partial to patch hand-warmers (but preferably zippered) and the inside pocket(s)... Which sucks because I prefer jackets with chest pockets which I never ever use. So yeah, two side pockets and two (or more) inside pockets.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Just saw this setup which looks interesting. But it's hard to tell without seeing someone wear it. Thoughts ??
Aero Teamster Brown CXL Steerhide 46 front.jpg

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I had to use the flap pockets on my Eastman G-1 a while back for documents and they were perfect, as were the inside pockets, which seem to go half way around the inside of the jacket. It reminds me that jackets were once working items of clothing and that pockets were meant for more than just warming your hands, having been worn by manly men and not just effete fashionistas like ourselves (I must stop looking at the Lost Worlds website).

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had to use the flap pockets on my Eastman G-1 a while back for documents and they were perfect, as were the inside pockets, which seem to go half way around the inside of the jacket. It reminds me that jackets were once working items of clothing and that pockets were meant for more than just warming your hands, having been worn by manly men and not just effete fashionistas like ourselves (I must stop looking at the Lost Worlds website).
I just came home from a trip and must say that the pocket configuration on my LHB makes the jacket indispensable to me for traveling. What with the security checks, car rentals, hotel info and keys, and all the other factors that go into making modern travel such a pleasure, I'd be lost without all those pockets. I particularly like the snaps on the inside chest pocket and the two patch pockets for the convenience of stuffing tickets, Id cards, change, itinerary printouts, keys, and whatnot when going through security. I guess the secret is to designate certain pockets for specific functions and then sticking to them so I always know where everything is. Really useful jacket.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I was recently flying with my pops wearing an A-2 when I had to fetch new replacement AA batteries for his headset. Simply popped open one of the cargo pockets and in went the old batteries. Would have been hard to get them on an inside pocket being buckled up! In that instance the cargo pockets did their job. One of my proudest "jacket moments" lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff