Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moth ball smell

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only thing that has ever worked for me is leaving the item of clothing outside. I had two vintage sweaters that REEKED of mothballs and I left them outside literally for 2-3 weeks and that finally got the smell out, when dry cleaning and steaming didn't.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Its true, I'm convinced that a good outdoor airing-out will cure most smell problems... I recently purchased two dresses-- one had mothball stench and the other just had stored-for-fifty-years funk, and a good two days in the backyard cured both. Just make sure to hang them up someplace in the shade or covered in case of a sudden shower or other unfortunate quirk of nature.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive suggested a plastic bin filled with baking soda. Put the dress inside(or put it in a paper sack), and leave it for a couple of days.

Also ladies suggest kittie litter as well in lue of baking soda :)

LD

Marq

Familiar Face
goldwyn girl said:
I recieved my rick rack dress today and it's lovely but it does have a moth ball smell. I washed it but I can still smell the moth balls. Any suggestions??
Yes i recently bought a jacket like this .You need to wash it a good few times in cold water.I took the risk and used my washing machine on a short cycle and after 4 washes the smell was completely gone .Also had the adavantage of finding out the jacket was actually brown and cream dog tooth and not brown and dark beige,,,,,,,,,,Paul

missmelly

One of the Regulars
I have a mink that I recently inherited. I've tried airing it outside for a couple of weeks but the mothball smell is still so strong it makes my eyes water.:eek:
Should I try the kitty litter trick or not chance it with mink? Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

.:Miss Melly:.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
You may want to try Odoban. My kitty has been sick lately, peeing on everything~ including a basket of vintage linens:( . This is the only thing I can get my clothes clean with, tho I usually still have to wash twice and I throw in a scoop of oxi clean with it the first time.
We buy ours at Sam's. http://www.odoban.com/

Not sure about the fur... I know people use corn meal to shake silk flowers in to clean, maybe that would get out *some* residue. With the fur having the porus skin that may be a tuffy! Good luck Melly! I wonder if a dry shampoo for hair would work?
Nikki

ShortClara

One Too Many
To protect the clothes with the kitty litter trick, put the mink in a pillowcase and then into a bag/ bin full of the kitty litter. Then, you get the de-smelling effect without your garment being covered in dust!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok, so when y'all say kitty litter, what kind?? The good old fashioned clay? There's also the pine pellets, silicone crystals, scoopable, ect..
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff