Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motherhood & the Vintage Lifestyle

$ally

One Too Many
RedHotRidinHood said:
I admire ladies who can go vintage and be prego at the same time. I gained so much weight that I was lucky that ANYTHING fit!!
Bah, you gained a lot of weight where? In your pinky finger?

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
$ally said:
Bah, you gained a lot of weight where? In your pinky finger?

The day I had my son, dear Sally, I weighed a little over 200 pounds. It was scary, believe me! It took me a long time to lose it all, but I did.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Sweet Leilani said:
I just found out that I am expecting my second child in early April. :) My first, a boy, was born in February '05, so thankfully most of my maternity clothes will fit in the right seasons. Unfortunately, none of them are vintage or VI, so it looks like I'll be doing some shopping!

I am due in April with my second too!!

I never wore maternity last time.. but I can hardly fit into my Vintage either.. SO i just wear n ice jeans and a nice blouse. and call it good. I will be back though!

$ally

One Too Many
RedHotRidinHood said:
The day I had my son, dear Sally, I weighed a little over 200 pounds. It was scary, believe me! It took me a long time to lose it all, but I did.
You sure did!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
exquisitebones said:
I am due in April with my second too!!

I never wore maternity last time.. but I can hardly fit into my Vintage either.. SO i just wear n ice jeans and a nice blouse. and call it good. I will be back though!

Cool! We should start a little club with Goldleaf- the "Vintage Ladies' Expecting Club" or something like that. So far I can still fit into anything that wasn't really tight to begin with; most of my dresses are on the large side and they still fit. But I have recently unpacked my maternity clothes and will be ready to make the switch soon- I'm just not looking forward to it! :(

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I didn't understand women's gripes with maternity clothes until I had to wear the same pair of pants 2 or 3 times in a week. I have one casual pair of pants for the weekend. It wasn't bad while I could still make my pre-maternity clothes fit and include them in the mix, but nothing fits now.

I am wearing a lot of skirts, since finding pants long enough can be a challenge. I do have two pair of wide-leg cuffed pants that fit quite well, and I wear them a lot. I am trying to decide if I want to buy another pair or two for the next 10 weeks. I will probably wear maternity stuff until I can fit back into my size 10s. I really don't want to buy a bunch of new clothes just for the transition back into my normal wardrobe.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Kamikat I'm in the UK but would love it. Can pay postage....

Whilst we are at the bumping this thread - and :eek:fftopic: - I will unashamedly post the good news about Wigglesworth, because I am officially an Old Bat for a first-timer the maternity unit have been all over me like a rash :( 37 is high risk for practically everything and the consultant decided that Will must be a small baby and that I would have to have intensive scans etc because there must be "something" wrong with his growth. (Yes, Hairy Chap is four inches shorter than I am, I believe it's called genetics....??)

William Geoffrey weighs in at an estimated 6lb 9oz and has 3 weeks of growth still to go.
So PAH! to Mr Consultant, and thanks for nothing for the last three weeks of worry.

Back *on* topic, I have been very interested in reading this thread... I only plan to be a stay at home mum for 6 months, or until Wigglesworth is on solids, and then dad is taking over full-time care. No doubt I will miss out on an awful lot but it's a matter of economics [huh] - can't be helped.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Kishtu, my Lilypie was 6 lbs. 12. oz., 19 inches when she was born. I'm glad she wasn't bigger! She came out naturally. Hooo boy! That's something I won't forget anytime soon! I'm also of Advanced Maternal Age (was 36 a week before Lily was born), so I know the hassle you're going through. To give you an idea of size, here she is when first born:

DSC00410.jpg

And this is earlier this week:

pinkoveralls_061410.jpg

She is now 4 1/2 months old, and up to almost 15 pounds!

I guess I was a bit fortunate (if that's what you want to call it) that I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes at 16 weeks. That meant I was on a "diet" for the rest of my pregnancy, and only gained a total of 5 pounds. Two weeks after giving birth, I was down 25 pounds, and back into my pre-pregnancy clothes - even some of my skinny clothes!

Also, because of my low weight gain (which was just fine according to my doc - baby was perfectly healthy), I didn't really have to wear maternity clothes. I was happy for that as I am not the tallest, and couldn't find any pants to fit me! I wore plus sized shirts and stretch pants (how decidedly un-vintage) for the last month. This was me the day before going into labor - off for my daily waddle.

daybeforelabor_021110.jpg

Have you thought of getting a video camera? We have a small one called a Flip that I use all the time to capture what Lily's doing so Dada can see it when he comes home from work. (I'm a SAHM.)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ladies, be thankful for your small babies. My first son was 6wks early and weighed 8lb, 9oz. My second baby arrived right on his due date at 9lb, 3oz.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Oh, trust me. I am very thankful she wasn't bigger! I have a friend who had a baby last month. He was born by emergency c-section 10 days past her due date. He weighed 11 lbs. 1 oz. and was 23 inches long! Yikes. Lily weighed that when she was 2 1/2 months old, and she's only 23 inches long now. That is so crazy to me. He's already in 3-6 month clothes as a newborn.

Edited to add: I just remembered a conversation I had with my 94 year old Grannie while I was pregnant. She told me that when she was pregnant with my aunt that was born in 1937 her doctor told her to diet so that she would have a small baby. Five pounds was an ideal weight he thought. Can you imagine a five pound baby being considered normal/healthy for full term now? It makes me wonder if what sort of complications babies had back then due to low birth weight.

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
I had my son naturally and he was 9 pounds and it hurt like heck. I had my surrogate twins last November, one was 7 pounds and one was 6 pounds..... for a grand total of 13 pounds of baby alone!!

This was at 30 weeks.... I got a whole lot bigger until I sneezed and my water broke a few weeks later......
7327_158038496355_687936355_3294080_5237782_n.jpg

Kishtu

Practically Family
Oh they are just so annoying about the whole thing :rage: they are so determined to find something the matter with me that I seem to spend most of my time these days at the assessment unit.... and then after four hours of thumb-twiddling they say there is nothing wrong with me and send me home.... why bother, I ask myself...!!

37 weeks today :D and I've only acquired a bump in the last month or so (due to being six-foot-ish tall he was "in there somewhere!")
Currently wearing the same clothes as I was wearing last year and the year before which tells you that I am not exactly dramatically huge... favourite fit I must admit is my CC41 chocolate brown floral print day dress which as it has no zips/snaps/buttons fits rather nicely over young Wigglesworth. Which I made two years ago to go to a wedding. Which is slightly disturbing that it still fits.....!!

PS crikey Voodoo Kitten, I hope he doesn't make it to 9lbs in the next 3 weeks...!!!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Kishtu said:
37 weeks today :D and I've only acquired a bump in the last month or so (due to being six-foot-ish tall he was "in there somewhere!")
My nextdoor neighbor is also 6ft tall and with both babies, didn't have to wear special clothes until about 1 or 2 weeks before the birth. Even then, she didn't have to buy maternity clothes, just wore her husband's track pants and t-shirts. It was the one time when she was thankful for his beer belly :D

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Kishtu said:

I'm only 5'1", but I had that happen, too! Firmly in my ninth month of pregnancy, and people still saying to me "you're pregnant?" But the good part of it was after she was born I slimmed down quickly. (Breastfeeding helps with that - just producing milk burns 500 calories a day!)

She's 18 weeks (yesterday), and has been teething for two weeks already. Pulling on her ears, drooling, crying when she tries to eat. She has white lumps on her gums so I know it is just a matter of time before the teeth start poking through. We've been using some homeopathic teething tablets, and they work really well. I'm glad!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! We were quite surprised when her doctor told us at her four month check-up that she went from the 50% range for weight to 90% range in two months. I guess that makes sense, though... she gained over four pounds. Her chunky monkey thighs are so big that she doesn't fit in the BabyBjorn anymore. Poor thing!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: We're trying to get her on a new napping/night time sleeping schedule. Her doc thinks that she's not getting enough restorative sleep for her age. She's said three naps a day, no napping after 5, and in bed for the night by 6-8. Yeah, not! Lily's decided that napping is for the birds. Or she will only do it if I'm holding her. This leads to a cranky baby and a cranky mama. I know she needs to get used to the schedule, but man! I'm having a hard time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran