Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Cliche´s - The Singing & Dancing Family Scene

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There must be thousands of movie cliche´s. One of those I find the most troubling, the most trite, is the "Singing & Dancing Family Scene." This is the point of a film when, suddenly, the soundtrack turns up to a fun vintage pop song and the family, or other people gathered, sing and dance in a perfectly choreographed romp around the kitchen, backyard, garage, wherever. This usually serves as the bonding moment between friends, family, or neighbors. It was a wonderfully fun cinematic moment; the first fifty times we have seen it.

Now, at times I will concede that it has been used to great effect. "The Big Chill" comes to mind, the film I hold responsible for reviving what was once lost in the Golden Era. Breaking into random songs was common in the films of the Golden Era. I'm sure you remember Lauren Bacall breaking into song during "To Have and Have Not:" "How Little We Know" with Hogie Carmichael. Though not the same giddy nonsense as its modern equivalent, this sort of non sequitor happened all of the time in vintage films.

The Golden Era film that makes me cringe is "An Affair To Remember." I love the film, but when those children start singing, I hit the "FF" button. And as an aside, does anyone remember the line, "I'm so dumb, I ain't even ignorant?" It's my signal to fast forward. ;)

I would love to hear it argued that "Non Noblis Domine" from Kenneth Branagh's masterpiece "Henry V" was in this same vein, that it is the English bonding after their victory at Agincourt.

I enjoyed the charismatic Rupert Everett adding a heavy dose of irony to his "I Say A Little Prayer For You" in the otherwise forgettable "My Best Friend's Wedding," but taken literally, this scene would be one of the worst offenders.

So, I know you have seen this come up in various films. What is your reaction to this film cliche´? Do you have a favorite, or one that you dislike the most?

031201a.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I probably dislike most of these singing incidents but one that immediately comes to mind is Doris Day singing "Que Sera, Sera" with her son in the Hitchcock film The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
I probably dislike most of these singing incidents but one that immediately comes to mind is Doris Day singing "Que Sera, Sera" with her son in the Hitchcock film The Man Who Knew Too Much.
What an excellent example. Though Doris Day's performance is absolutely lovely. "Que Sera, Sera" was used to an eerie effect in the Meg Ryan film "In the Cut."

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Sometimes the character breaks into song because they hired a famous singer for the role.
Examples are: Deanna Durbin in the golden age and Whitney Houston in the modern age.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
I am not the biggest Doris Day fan out there. ;) I did not see In The Cut. Is it worth a viewing?
Nope; not really, but that song is played over the opening credits with the camera out of focus and in saturated color.

My most despised "sing-along scene" is the one from "The Step Mom," which I am embarrassed to admit that I saw!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Doris Day - oy. Too whitebread bubbly 'everybody loves me ain't I wholesome'. Heck, she even did a song like that.

Bad musical interludes seem to have been done to death. It's rare that it actually gets pulled off without looking horribly campy, contrived and sappy. It's so bad, in fact, it's been lampooned left and right in shows like The Simpsons , Futurama and The Family Guy.

I'm not totally opposed to musicals or even musical interludes, but when the screenwriter and director start insulting my intelligence, it's time to find something else to do.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Wingnut said:
Bad musical interludes seem to have been done to death. It's rare that it actually gets pulled off without looking horribly campy, contrived and sappy. It's so bad, in fact, it's been lampooned left and right in shows like The Simpsons , Futurama and The Family Guy.

I'm not totally opposed to musicals or even musical interludes, but when the screenwriter and director start insulting my intelligence, it's time to find something else to do.
I couldn't agree more, but could you share an example or two?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
There must be thousands of movie cliche´s. One of those I find the most troubling, the most trite, is the "Singing & Dancing Family Scene." This is the point of a film when, suddenly, the soundtrack turns up to a fun vintage pop song and the family, or other people gathered, sing and dance in a perfectly choreographed romp around the kitchen, backyard, garage, wherever. This usually serves as the bonding moment between friends, family, or neighbors. It was a wonderfully fun cinematic moment; the first fifty times we have seen it.

What?? Ya mean you've never done that!? lol

I know what you mean,...it's just totally uncalled for in a dramatic story, unless it's worked into a scene where the characters maybe go to a nightclub to see someone perform. Otherwise it's generally campy and inappropriate for anything other than a comedy or a musical.
In referance to the Hitchcock movie,...I've got this bizarre mental image now of Norman Bates doing a song and dance routine! :p

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Maj.Nick Danger said:
What?? Ya mean you've never done that!? lol

I know what you mean,...it's just totally uncalled for in a dramatic story, unless it's worked into a scene where the characters maybe go to a nightclub to see someone perform. Otherwise it's generally campy and inappropriate for anything other than a comedy or a musical.
In referance to the Hitchcock movie,...I've got this bizarre mental image now of Norman Bates doing a song and dance routine! :p
It's not as bad as all of that, despite what Mr. Feraud implies. ;) It is, afterall, perhaps cinema's greatest lullabye and sung pitch-perfect by Ms. Day and her character is an ex-singer, so it is not quite the jarring non sequitor, and beside "The Man Who Knew Too Much" is such an incredibly cool movie!

Feraud

Bartender
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Sorry wrong movie. You are thinking of the scene in Psycho where Bates kills Marion Crane, runs back up to the creepy mansion dressed as his mother, and starts singing, "Mamma Said (There'd Be Days Like This)". :eek:

Hemingway Jones said:
It's not as bad as all of that, despite what Mr. Feraud implies. ;)
I don't know about that.... If it were not for the fact that the song comes into play at the end of the film I might dispute this point with you. :) ;)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Even though Bye Bye Birdie was made in the 60's, I thought the "Kids" scene wasn't as happy go lucky attitude as others. It had some meaning to the film, it wasn't the "break into song" routine like a lot of musicals are like.

byebyebirdie.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I love to singa

I like that cartoon where the little owl goes to the radio contest and sings jazz and his father wants him to sing Mozart or something like that.:rolleyes: and he's ready to win the contest, his Dad busts in with the family and he starts singing off key, but the Dad tells him it's ok if he wants to; singa, like moona and tuna and singa, I wanna singa :D :D :D :D That's the only family sing along I can handle.

Then there's the singing Von Tramp:rolleyes: family in Sound of Music.:eek: Talk about irritating me.:D

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Just a hoot an' a holler...

Hemingway Jones said:
What an excellent example. Though Doris Day's performance is absolutely lovely. "Que Sera, Sera" was used to an eerie effect in the Meg Ryan film "In the Cut."

Great googly moogly! I hated her performance... well, the singing anyway. She didn't "sing" so much as "hollered" the song, and I do realize that is exactly what she trying to do, but... Ouch. :eek: Hard on the ears.

"RadioHead"

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Aw, gee, marshall! Ain't ya gonna shoot her?

I recently rewatched "My Darling Clementine" with Henry Fonda, Walter Brennan, Ward Bond... well, I didn't watch it with them, but you know what I mean.

There's a scene in the saloon where Linda Darnell- whose character, is, admittedly supposed to be a singer- breaks into the cheesiest song "Under a broad sombrero". Not once, but twice in the film.

Now THAT's a fast-forward-worthy scene.

"RadioHead"

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The two examples I can think of don't involve dancing, only singing. Lauren Bacall's "And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine" from "The Big Sleep" was bizarre but enjoyable, and the crew of the Red October breaking into the Soviet national anthem gave me goosebumps.

And speaking of goosebumps, "Casablanca."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925