Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

surely

A-List Customer
THE NAKED CITY. Lots of hats, especially many NY street scenes.

With a lot of these movies I watch with the mute on; better to focus on the lids.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
mingoslim said:
But it more properly should be posted here . . .

I caught Kansas City (1996) on the Independant Film Channel (IFC).

The film did not overly impress me . . . but set in KC in the 1930s it had some great hats . . . and a good soundtrack to boot.

Anybody else catch it . . . or familiar with it?

I'm a big fan of Robert Altman and like this movie very much, actually. I felt it had a lot to say about social class in American society, but besides that - gorgeous hats and wonderful music.

Sassman

New in Town
Mullholland Falls (1996)

It's no L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, but it does follow the adventures of the "Hat Squad" Lots of great 40's/ 50's era hats and suits.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
I just missed The Naked City on TCM:mad: ,
It's been quite sometime since seeing Harlem Nights.
And the tip top musicianship of the cast of Kansas City,
caused me to almost forget about everything else...
I say ALMOST, because I didn't overlook
Jennifer J's gams!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Ness
64234540_a8d49d9660_m.jpg

Jones
gray41vi-vi.jpg

Ferguson
stewart2.jpg

Kent
ckreeve.jpg

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Just saw a so-so movie last night called "Leatherheads" with George Clooney. The movie was okay, but the costumes were fantastic. Lots of Caps, Homburgs, and a few Fedoras. But it wasn't just the hats, the suits and jackets were all outstanding. Clooney sports a leather jacket that looks very much like an Aero half belt, nicely broken in. There are also some cool vintage cars and a motorbike. The movie is set in 1925, and I enjoyed watching it just for the wardrobe.

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
Like many folks, it was Indiana Jones who got me started on my road to fedora wearing when I was a youngster. However, that's not quite the entire story either. My two other heroes at the time wore hats and they were James Bond and Michael Jackson. Although more people know the latter for his more stingier brimmed black fedora from his famous Billie Jean performance at Motown 25, for me I really liked his wardrobe from the movie Moonwalker. The Smooth Criminal music video part is the most well known part, but in entire short film he also wore a black pinstriped version of the 30s styled white suit mostly remembered. Great suit, and great hat imo.

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Hat influences

Any hat worn by the Duke and the three nicely styled hats worn by Tom Selleck in Last Stand at Saber River, Quiglely, Down Under and Crossfire Trail.

Roy Jackson of Jaxonbilt Hats has been kind enough to recreate all three for me over the last few years.

My interest in the Indy fedora came later although I watched many classic movies on Sunday afternoons with my Mom. Most of which had nicely styled fedoras worn by Hollywood royalty.

Cheers.

C79

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Pirates of the Caribbean. Captain Jack Sparrow's hat...what a lid!

Kidding.

Don't we all really want to be pirates?

We sails into Havana harbor under the cover of darkness, now. Then we puts a party ashore to empty that Partagas warehouse. Next, return to the ship they do, all the while obliged to be a pillagin' and a plunderin' as much Havana Club rum as they go. Aye, thirsty work it'll be. Perhaps we'll heft one together at the La Floridita before we again set sail. Truly no one'll recognize us there. Then, with all our guns a-blazin' we fights our way back out to sea! Come sunup, it'll be smooth waters, wind at our backs, and sun to our faces...rum and cigars all about! Arrrr! (Note to self: Make cellphone call home to Lulu...will be staying late at the office, don't wait up.)

SMCK

New in Town
Hats in the movies thread?

I have just watched a movie new to me: The 1935 film , The whole towns talking with Edward G Robinson. What a good film,. Every man wears a hat all the time indoors and out What a great Hat movie. Try to see it if you havent alrerady.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
who made the hats I wonder?

Any loungers know who made the hats for the film Millers Crossing my wife just bought it from blockbusters. and can't wait to watch it tonight ? :)

dr greg

One Too Many
amazing

Art Fawcett said:
Not only am familiar Slim, but much of the clothing and hats were mine in this film. it was disappointing how little it did in the box office.
I was really shocked at how quickly it vanished from the big screens, which happily is where I saw it!
It really gets in your head that one. The first day after I'd seen it if you asked me I would have said 'it's OK'... three days later, 'it's quite good' and by a week later " what a masterpiece" as it sunk in. I bought the DVD and have watched it many times, and consider it a classic movie. What a thrill it must have been to work on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo