Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

ValEag

One of the Regulars
I've always liked the scene in the rain at the train station is Casablanca:

bogie4.jpg

bogie5.jpg

bogie6.jpg

One of the all time great hat movies - Once Upon a Time in America. All different styles of hats - both men's and women's:

Bugsy1.jpg

Deniro1.jpg

Chief1.jpg

ryang

New in Town
I gotta admit that my first inspiration was Indy. Now I'm hooked. I recently got a prototype hat patterned off of the Spirit movie.

TheSpirit3.jpg

TheSpirit4.jpg

I got the hat for the look and I got a great deal, not really because of the movie. I haven't even seen it yet.

Torpedo

One Too Many
ryang said:
I gotta admit that my first inspiration was Indy. Now I'm hooked. I recently got a prototype hat patterned off of the Spirit movie.

I got the hat for the look and I got a great deal, not really because of the movie. I haven't even seen it yet.

Would yours be the one John Penman showed over at COW? ;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Uh, what is this movie...

Ryang, I must look this one up after seeing these pics. I haven't gone to a new movie in a while... Who is the actor in these pics? Or is it YOU;) ?

ryang said:

TheSpirit3.jpg

TheSpirit4.jpg

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Pat_H said:
I saw the Hallmark movie "Durango" the other day. It's set in Ireland in about 1939-40.

Great selection of caps. I wish I could find some of the caps like ones depicted in the film. Really full cut caps, as full cut as some of the larger newsboys still around, but not of that particular pattern.

Any clue as to the source of these, or are they just so easy for a prop department to make, they make up their own?

ryang

New in Town
I don't have a clue about the actual hat in the movie. I got mine from John Penman - great handmade beaver felt fedora.

pauljmuk

New in Town
This is a big old thread, so forgive me if i'm duplicating and earlier quote. I think though, this is a bit more leftfield.

Having just introduced my wife to the delightful films Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources - I am reminded how taken I am with (what I think) is the Fedora that Yves Montard wears in the role as Papet.

Brilliant costume department - its battered, the ribbon has gone, and is left with a stained work look around the band. It's also lost shape and seems to flop on his head. Either way, it looks like a hat that has been with him all his life.

Other hats appear in the film also, slightly smarter ones when they appear in town, or at the funeral.
Sorry - dont have pics - but if someone can supply a good large still of Yves Montard, you'll see what I mean.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
pauljmuk said:
This is a big old thread, so forgive me if i'm duplicating and earlier quote. I think though, this is a bit more leftfield.

Having just introduced my wife to the delightful films Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources - I am reminded how taken I am with (what I think) is the Fedora that Yves Montard wears in the role as Papet.

Brilliant costume department - its battered, the ribbon has gone, and is left with a stained work look around the band. It's also lost shape and seems to flop on his head. Either way, it looks like a hat that has been with him all his life.

Other hats appear in the film also, slightly smarter ones when they appear in town, or at the funeral.
Sorry - dont have pics - but if someone can supply a good large still of Yves Montard, you'll see what I mean.
jean-de-florette.jpg
tt0091288_largeCover.jpg
cesar1.gif

pauljmuk

New in Town
Oh wow, thanks

Can you find a close up shot of Yves. There are some great "battered and stained" looks. But despite this being "just a film", costume seemed to have picked a hat that looked like he wore it in the fields his whole life. Saying that though, typical of the attention to detail and amazing cinematography in the films generally.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
My first fedora was purchased as a gift for me in part because of my interest in and slight resemblance to one of the Blues Brothers. I'd say they were my earliest hat influence.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
pauljmuk said:
Oh wow, thanks

Can you find a close up shot of Yves. There are some great "battered and stained" looks. But despite this being "just a film", costume seemed to have picked a hat that looked like he wore it in the fields his whole life. Saying that though, typical of the attention to detail and amazing cinematography in the films generally.
303666.1010.A.jpg
This is about all I could find that wasn't even smaller.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Harry Dean Stanton in Paris, Texas. I'm not even halfway through so there might be some more good ones.
jp1.jpg

Here he is in an old white hat.
jp2.jpg

jp3.jpg

He then unbashes it and wears it like this. :)
jp4.jpg

barehead

New in Town
For me, it is definitely "Once Upon a Time in America"

001273_12.jpg

BTW, what a breathtaking movie! A brilliant play by De Niro and Woods

also Sinatra movies worth mentioning ...

sinatra-frank-studio-5001154.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner